Windows 10: Why can some devices not see each other over the network

Discus and support Why can some devices not see each other over the network in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi, I am trying to file share over multiple pcs and laptops, and they all have the same 'advanced sharing settings', but it is random which devices... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/ElvenBlueMage, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Why can some devices not see each other over the network

Hi, I am trying to file share over multiple pcs and laptops, and they all have the same 'advanced sharing settings', but it is random which devices they can see, there are 3 I want to connect together, all running latest windows and using the same network set to private, one can see the other 2, one can see one of the other 2 and some other family computers, and one can only see itself, seemingly randomly, if there are any settings or groups I am unaware of that could cause this sort of behaviour, please share!

submitted by /u/ElvenBlueMage
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/ElvenBlueMage, Mar 23, 2020
  2. Carnivore Win User

What is this network device?

I woke my desktop PC from sleep this morning, clicked on Network and immediately spotted a Phone in the device list that doesn't belong to anyone here (a Blu brand phone which is unusual enough that I would know about it).

I clicked on the device and was able to view the MAC address, but nothing else useful. A couple minutes later it disappeared from the network list.

Then a few minutes later I went and looked at another PC on the same home network and saw the same phone in its Network list. It also disappeared a couple minutes after I clicked open 'Network'.

Scanned both PCs with various anti-malware programs including Malwarebytes - they look clean.

Any suggestions on what I was seeing, and if it's malicious how to deal with it?

UPDATE: It popped back up again. I checked my router's connection list and don't see it there. For now I blocked the MAC address in my router but would still like to know where this is coming from.

Carnivore, Mar 23, 2020
  3. Network devices listed under Unknown in Device Manager

I have a Dell Inspiron M731R laptop upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Home 64-Bit that suddenly quit connecting to the home network. Was using wireless, so switched to an Ethernet cable, but still no luck. I just discovered that ALL of the network-related devices are now listed under an "Unknown" tab in the Device Manager. A check of properties of each item in that folder says they are all working properly, but that obviously isn't the case. I tried uninstalling each of the 4 items, but when they are recognized again they still show up under the Unknown tab. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Why can some devices not see each other over the network [​IMG]

putermaker, Mar 23, 2020
  4. Why can some devices not see each other over the network

Network will not show on the last device.

Hi James,

I suggest you to remove all the networks that are connected to your device and check.

If the issue persist, I suggest you to follow the steps below.

An outdated or incompatible network adapter driver can cause connection problems. If you recently upgraded to
    Windows 10, it's possible that the current driver was designed for a previous version of Windows. Check to see if an updated driver is available.

• In the search box on the taskbar, type Device Manager, and then select
      Device Manager from the list of results.

• In Device Manager, select Network adapters > the network adapter name.

• Right-click (or press and hold) the network adapter, and then select Update Driver Software >
      Search automatically for updated driver software. Follow the steps, then select
      Close.

• After installing the updated driver, select the Start
      Why can some devices not see each other over the network [​IMG]
      button >
      Power > Restart if asked to restart, and see if that fixes the connection issue.

If Windows can’t find a new driver for your network adapter, visit the PC manufacturer’s website and download the latest network adapter driver from there. If your PC can't connect to the Internet, you'll need to download a driver on a different PC and save
    it to a USB flash drive, so you can install the driver on your PC. You’ll need to know the PC manufacturer and model name or number.

Rely us with the status to assist you further.

Regards,

Guru Kiran

Guru Kiran G, Mar 23, 2020
Thema:

Why can some devices not see each other over the network

1. Why can some devices not see each other over the network - Similar Threads - Why devices each

2. Can See Other Device on Network but not the shared files!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can See Other Device on Network but not the shared files!: Hi So glad in the last few years there is OneDive so that we haven't had to deal with these stupid Network sharing issues. But today I do need to access a folder on another PC in our network which I don't want to put into OneDrive. I can see the PC, but it only has...
  3. Why can't networked computers see each other?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why can't networked computers see each other?: I have two machines connected through an ethernet switch which is hooked to my home router. But each machine does not appear in the network folder of the other. Any idea why? Thanks. submitted by /u/HiawathaBray [link] [comments]...
  4. Some network PCs not seeing each other

Some network PCs not seeing each other: I have 5 PCs on my network, all running Windows10. Some are connected to the router by ethernet, others by wifi: it doesn't seem to matter which. A, B and C can see all 5 including themselves. Both D and E can only see B and D. What could be stopping them seeing all five?...
  5. PCs Can't See Each Other On A Network

PCs Can't See Each Other On A Network: Hi Our network has not been working properly for ages but we've coped. Now, however, I want to get it working as it should do. Our network comprises three PCs, our two main PCs and a spare which does get used on a regular basis. All are connected via ethernet cables and...
  6. PC'S on a Home Network Can't see each other

PC'S on a Home Network Can't see each other: I have 2 machines, 1 Windoze 7 Pro 32bit and 1 Windoze 10 Home 64 bit both wire connected to the same router. No matter what I do, the machines can't see each other. That includes all the sharing options, advanced, etc. All Allows are checked and I have admin rights on both...
  7. My devices cannot see each other under home network

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My devices cannot see each other under home network: I use two devices (the laptop and MacBook Air) connected to my Home Wi-Fi. However these computers are not able to see each when connected through Wi-Fi...
  8. Unable to see networked devices but can on other machines

Unable to see networked devices but can on other machines: Hi all! I wouldn't normally ask for help as I'm usually pretty damned good at sorting issues myself but this has got me stumped. I've got 2 PC's and a laptop. Laptop behaves the same way as PC2 so I'll discount that for now. The issue: PC1 appears to have an issue with...
  9. Desktop and laptop can't see each other over Ethernet

Desktop and laptop can't see each other over Ethernet: I recently upgraded from Win7 to Win10 on my laptop (desktop was already on Win10). Before the upgrade, both PCs could see each other over my network, whether hardwired over Ethernet or over WiFi. After the upgrade, neither can see the other. Both have network discovery...
  10. Home network - not all computers can see each other

Home network - not all computers can see each other: Hello, Here's my problem. We have three PCs (one a laptop) connected to our router. Mine, is W10 Pro x64, hardwires into the router; my wife has a W10 Home x64 laptop, connected by an ethernet power plug, and downstairs we have a W7 Pro x64 working as a media server....