Windows 10: Why can't DISM find the Source files when run?

Discus and support Why can't DISM find the Source files when run? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; After running dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth, twice I keep getting: Error: 0x800f081f, The source files could not be found. The previous... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by WCarp, Apr 7, 2021.

1. WCarp Win User

Why can't DISM find the Source files when run?

After running dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth, twice I keep getting: Error: 0x800f081f, The source files could not be found.

The previous time I had this problem, I eventually spoke to a Windows Support person and they suggested doing a in-place install or whatever it is called. which I did a few months ago. That should not be required! I am running Windows 10 Pro 20H2, 19042.906.

How can this be resolved?

:)

WCarp, Apr 7, 2021
  2. topgundcp Win User

Source to use for DISM on Windows 10

This is not completely true. The suggestion is to download the Techbench version and use DISM to apply to install.wim directly. However, you can also use the version download from MCT except it will involve an extra step as follows:
    1. Use the latest version of 7-Zip to extract the content of install.esd. For example: to a folder xxx on the desktop
    2. From Admin command prompt:
      Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\xxx\windows /LimitAccess

See screen shot, the contents of install.wim and install.esd are exactly the same.

Why can't DISM find the Source files when run? [​IMG]

topgundcp, Apr 7, 2021
  3. poud Win User
    Source to use for DISM on Windows 10

hmm...

I assumed they were the same all along so I tried simply COPYING the .esd AND the .wim out, and tried to use them but that didn't work either. Now that you mention EXTRACTING it out, that maybe makes more sense.

I thought the .esd version was encrypted. Does 7-zip take care of that?

poud, Apr 7, 2021
  4. Why can't DISM find the Source files when run?

DISM function and Source Files

What is the command line to set the source files within the DISM function to Windows Update? I have tried to run the DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth and I get an error (see below) stating the source files cannot be found and it refers me to a
    Microsoft Website that is pretty much useless. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Why can't DISM find the Source files when run? 3e11b9f7-a145-4aec-ae00-0a43f505f545.jpg

Jessica House, Apr 7, 2021
Thema:

Why can't DISM find the Source files when run?

1. Why can't DISM find the Source files when run? - Similar Threads - Why can't DISM

2. DISM missing source files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DISM missing source files: I used DISM restore health but it gave me back a reply that im missing source files Can I know how to fix this issue? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dism-missing-source-files/5307ab16-cbe5-4729-8ff3-f1704caff00a
  3. DISM command /RestoreHealth unable to find source files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DISM command /RestoreHealth unable to find source files: I am unable to perform SFC Scan or DISM Restore Health Successfully.Windows 10 Pro Version 21H1 Build 19043.1083. sfc /scannow finds corruption its unable to fix.DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth Results in "The component store is repairableDISM /Online /Cleanup-Image...
  4. DISM command /RestoreHealth unable to find source files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DISM command /RestoreHealth unable to find source files: I am unable to perform SFC Scan or DISM Restore Health Successfully.Windows 10 Pro Version 21H1 Build 19043.1083. sfc /scannow finds corruption its unable to fix.DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth Results in "The component store is repairableDISM /Online /Cleanup-Image...
  5. DISM command /RestoreHealth unable to find source files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. DISM can't find source.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    DISM can't find source.: So i've been having some pretty severe issues with Windows recently.https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-freezing-and-crashing-randomly-updated/c2e680bc-e756-4bba-99b4-b69bc2f063dbIt's SEVERLY hindered my ability to do pretty much anything on it.But...
  7. dism restorehealth cannot find source files

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    dism restorehealth cannot find source files: Hello I have a laptop which has some problems with corruption. After sfc /scannow I did run dism../RestoreHealth and it returned the above error. I do not have the initial install disk and the version is 1803 /17134.950 so my question is if I can use the image(obviously way...
  8. SFC finds corrupt files, but can't fix them. DISM can't find source files. Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    SFC finds corrupt files, but can't fix them. DISM can't find source files. Windows 10: After running many sfc tests, I always get the same result. "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them." Same thing with Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth, at about 90.1% I always end up with "Error: 0x800f081f The source...
  9. DISM Can't Find Sources

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    DISM Can't Find Sources: I've been trying to fix a laptop that got corrupted after an antivirus was running during a windows update. It booted but couldn't get past the login screen. Tried several things to at least get logged on but started focusing more on repairing the corruption off of a repair...
  10. Dism source files not found

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Dism source files not found: I have several problems on my pc and want fix win10 without reinstalling all apps. When I run: Code: DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth[/quote] I get Error 87. With: Code: DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /CheckHealth[/quote] I get a message, that it can be...