Windows 10: Why can't i change my keyboard language, input or layout?

Discus and support Why can't i change my keyboard language, input or layout? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I tried everything. I went into the typing setting and changed it to UK, I wen't to language settings and changed it to UK, changed the keyboard to UK... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by TheBestCocoEver, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Why can't i change my keyboard language, input or layout?

I tried everything. I went into the typing setting and changed it to UK, I wen't to language settings and changed it to UK, changed the keyboard to UK and did that in control panel too. Restarted my computer when it asked to restart. But it still uses US. Selecting it with the windows+spacebar key also didn't do it. It's not the keyboard, because it did this with another keyboard too.

Thanks

:)

TheBestCocoEver, Jan 13, 2020

2. Change input language based on keyboard?

Hi Tim,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

We understand that, you face issues with automatically switch input languages based on which keyboard on Windows 10 and I'd be certainly help you.

For a better clarity of your issue, please answer these queries below:

• Do you wish to perform this task, on any particular Windows

application?
    • Why do you want to perform this task?
    The Automatically switch keyboard to match language of surrounding text option is only available in OneNote, Outlook, PowerPoint, Publisher, and Word.

When the Automatically switch keyboard to match language of surrounding text option is turned on, it changes the keyboard's layout to the language that matches the language of text adjacent to the cursor's position.

For more information, refer to the link below:

Turn on automatic language options:
    Turn on automatic language detection

Your default keyboard layout or input method is the one that’s automatically used with the language you see Windows in (for example, the QWERTY keyboard for American English). If you want to keep your Windows language the same but use a different keyboard
    automatically, follow these steps:

1. Open Control Panel by entering Control Panel in the search box, and then

tapping or clicking Control Panel.

2.Enter Add a language in the search box, and then tap or click Add a

language.

3.Tap or click Advanced settings.

4.Under Override for default input method, choose the keyboard layout or input method you'd like to be your new default, and then tap or click Save.

For more information, refer to the link below:

Change your language or keyboard:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-8/add-language-keyboard

Please feel free to contact us, if you face any issues with Windows.

Thank you.

AntonyJose, Jan 13, 2020
  3. Change keyboard lanuage layout

I had a similar problem, except that I have a Swiss German keyboard but work in English. At first, I could only get the correct keyboard layout by changing the primary system language to German, which was not my preference. Eventually I figured out this,
    better solution on Windows 10 (which maintains the system language as English but the keyboard layout as Swiss German).

Go to Settings > Time and Language > Region and Language > Additional date, time and region settings

In Clock, Language, and Region, go to Language > Change input methods

Here you will see all the language packs you have selected for your computer (in my case, English, French and German). In each, click on Options

Under Input Options, choose Add an input method, and select the appropriate keyboard layout from the list. Be sure to save. Remove all other keyboard layouts.

Repeat for all other languages on your list.

Kristen Jafflin, Jan 13, 2020
  4. Mohan B P Win User

Why can't i change my keyboard language, input or layout?

Input language English, Keyboard German

Hi,

I realize that you are facing the issue with the Keyboard layout in Windows 10, let me assist you.

This issue might occur if the input method settings are not configured properly.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Press Windows key + X key and select
      Control Panel from the menu.

• Click on Clock, Language, and Region option.

• Click on Language and click on
      Advanced settings
      in the left pane.

• Select the required input in the drop down menu under
      Override for default input method

• Click on Save.

If the required language is not listed, follow the steps below to add the required language and then perform the above mentioned changes.

• Press Windows key + I
      key and select Time & Language.

• Click on Region & language in the left pane, click on
      Add a language and select the required language from the list.

Hope the information helps. Kindly write back to us with the updated status of the issue for further assistance on Windows. We will be glad to assist you.

Mohan B P, Jan 13, 2020
Thema:

Why can't i change my keyboard language, input or layout?

1. Why can't i change my keyboard language, input or layout? - Similar Threads - Why can't change

2. Can't remove keyboard input language !

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't remove keyboard input language !: Hi,I want to DISABLE COMPLETELY a keyboard input language from my OS. I never want any other KB layout than US ANSI. OS keep switching kb layouts... it seem to happen due to some hotkey combination, or a Windows update. It just now happened when I updated PowerToys to latest...
  3. Changing keyboard layout for Chinese language

Changing keyboard layout for Chinese language: Hi, My laptop runs Windows 11 home, and has an AZERTY keyboard.I use French, English and Chinese regularly, and I've changed the default keyboard layout for English from QWERTY to AZERTY as shown below:But, when I try to do that with Chinese, the option doesn't show up, and...
  4. Changing keyboard layout for Chinese language

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing keyboard layout for Chinese language: Hi, My laptop runs Windows 11 home, and has an AZERTY keyboard.I use French, English and Chinese regularly, and I've changed the default keyboard layout for English from QWERTY to AZERTY as shown below:But, when I try to do that with Chinese, the option doesn't show up, and...
  5. Can't remove unwanted input languages from Keyboard layout. Please help!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't remove unwanted input languages from Keyboard layout. Please help!: My build info https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-remove-unwanted-input-languages-from-keyboard/93c8d4ac-9be8-4ee0-a533-7993649aa523
  6. Can't remove unwanted input languages from Keyboard layout. Please help!

Can't remove unwanted input languages from Keyboard layout. Please help!: My build info https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-remove-unwanted-input-languages-from-keyboard/93c8d4ac-9be8-4ee0-a533-7993649aa523
  7. Question about keyboard layouts and language inputs

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about keyboard layouts and language inputs: [ATTACH] Ok, so that's the situation right now if I click input methods on the taskbar: https://preview.redd.it/8onig9gm1tz51.png?width=308&format=png&auto=webp&s=d9dc3c1f82f171ef861ff37696362343ed243f98 I would like for the bottom 3 input methods to disappear, but in...
  8. Why not add a DIY keyboard layout and input methord for user of all languages?

in Cortana
    Why not add a DIY keyboard layout and input methord for user of all languages?: Average English speakers never understand why people need a input method sometimes. People write in a non-latin alphabet system like Russian or Korean, or in a non-English Latin alphabet system like Germany or French adjust the keyboard layout slightly when they type. When...
  9. Automatic Keyboard input language change

in Windows 10 Customization
    Automatic Keyboard input language change: Hello, I'm using surface pro 4 in Korea which was bought directly from America. So, English, (United States) US Keyboard and Korean IME are both on language preference. When I write something, I start with Korean IME and shift Korean to English and vice versa with simple...
  10. Automatic Keyboard input language change

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Automatic Keyboard input language change: Hello, I'm using surface pro 4 in Korea which was bought directly from America. So, English, (United States) US Keyboard and Korean IME are both on language preference. When I write something, I start with Korean IME and shift Korean to English and vice versa with simple...