Windows 10: why cant i change my USERS file name in drive C:/

Discus and support why cant i change my USERS file name in drive C:/ in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I made an error when I first set up this pc and now I cant fix it....when I go into c drive and to my users file it wont let me rename the file and I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by lesbannister, Aug 4, 2019.

1. why cant i change my USERS file name in drive C:/

I made an error when I first set up this pc and now I cant fix it....when I go into c drive and to my users file it wont let me rename the file and I have done a factory fresh reboot and it keeps adding my incorrect name to the same file and I cant change it or find a solution to it.....I am on here as I can only think it can be done from here or I am not sure if it is because of my details that HP have of mine....any help would be great.....thanks... why cant i change my USERS file name in drive C:/ :)

:)

lesbannister, Aug 4, 2019

2. Change user name on c drive to match administrator name.

I just bought a new laptop as the hard drive on my old one died. It had two users, “John” and “Jane”. The computer store where I bought the new laptop named it John, but I want it to be Jane. I changed the administrator name to Jane and that works, however when I go to c /users it still list John: for example c/users/John and I want to change that to c/users/Jane. I have not been able to figure out how to change the user name to agree with the user name on the c drive. Could someone please explain how you do that on windows 10? Thank you.

Hereathome, Aug 4, 2019
  3. Change the Default C:\Users\[name]

Hi Callie,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing. Let me help you in resolving the issue.

According to the issue, you want to correct the name in your file path, as it is different from your account name as well as system name.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if that helps:

1. Make a local account first with the name you want, then sign into a Microsoft account.

2. Open your C: Drive and then go to the Users folder. Check if you see the other account there.

3. Delete the account and then change your Local Account into your Microsoft account.

Keep us posted on Windows related queries and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Aug 4, 2019
  4. pjcactus Win User

why cant i change my USERS file name in drive C:/

How to change C drive User Name?

I am the only user of my pc, and I am the administrator etc but the user name shown in the C drive is John and I want to change that to Pete.

I have drives C and F

In C the user is called John
    In F user called Pete
    Start/File Explorer/This pc/Local Disc (Cwhy cant i change my USERS file name in drive C:/ :)/Users/John
    Start/File Explorer/This pc/Local Disc (Fwhy cant i change my USERS file name in drive C:/ :)/Users/Pete

Q2 How do I rename user John to Pete in the C drive?
    Thanks
    Pete

pjcactus, Aug 4, 2019
Thema:

why cant i change my USERS file name in drive C:/

1. why cant i change my USERS file name in drive C:/ - Similar Threads - why cant change

2. I changed my user account name but in C drive under user name it hasn't changed and all...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I changed my user account name but in C drive under user name it hasn't changed and all...: I changed my user user accounts name in start up has been change but when I go to my this pc On C drive user and open the user account still shows the old user name . My pc runs on windows 11 Please give a advise Thanks...
  3. I changed my user account name but in C drive under user name it hasn't changed and all...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I changed my user account name but in C drive under user name it hasn't changed and all...: I changed my user user accounts name in start up has been change but when I go to my this pc On C drive user and open the user account still shows the old user name . My pc runs on windows 11 Please give a advise Thanks...
  4. how to change the user name in c DRIVE?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to change the user name in c DRIVE?: users/usernam in cmd . How to change this username https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-the-user-name-in-c-drive/d557cf71-4e23-44f3-96a3-be39e9cf4fcc
  5. how to change the user name in c DRIVE?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to change the user name in c DRIVE?: users/usernam in cmd . How to change this username https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-the-user-name-in-c-drive/d557cf71-4e23-44f3-96a3-be39e9cf4fcc
  6. how to change the user name in c DRIVE?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. how i change my users name in c drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    how i change my users name in c drive: how can i change my users name from C:\Users\BARADA PRASAD SAHOO To Barada Only https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-i-change-my-users-name-in-c-drive/c23683ef-9ebc-4e31-aab5-78dac56e6f6e
  8. changing user name in drive c

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    changing user name in drive c: Can and how do I change my user name in drive C on my new computer to match my old computer so that my files from my photo book will link correctly? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-user-name-in-drive-c/35393109-666d-4897-a2d1-55c5596899f0"
  9. Changing the name of the "Home" file in C:\Users

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changing the name of the "Home" file in C:\Users: It's been bugging me for so long because whenever something pulls up my account name it uses Home, and I really want to change it. Thanks! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-the-name-of-the-home-file-in-cusers/62b9d640-c05f-4eb6-be42-680f7a8fc4a3"
  10. How to change C drive User Name?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to change C drive User Name?: I am the only user of my pc, and I am the administrator etc but the user name shown in the C drive is John and I want to change that to Pete. I have drives C and F In C the user is called John In F user called Pete Start/File Explorer/This pc/Local Disc...