Windows 10: Why can't I change ratings of MP3 files in Windows 11?

Discus and support Why can't I change ratings of MP3 files in Windows 11? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Windows 10 was already quite "annoying" in the sense that ratings assigned to songs in Windows Media Player were only temporary. In order to make those... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Mybio, Nov 19, 2021.

1. Mybio Win User

Why can't I change ratings of MP3 files in Windows 11?

Windows 10 was already quite "annoying" in the sense that ratings assigned to songs in Windows Media Player were only temporary. In order to make those ratings permanent, one had to go to the corresponding MP3 file and change manually the rating in the Properties / Details of that file.It looks like Windows 11 is taking this one notch further, as one doesn't seem to be able to change the rating at all in the corresponding MP3 file...What's going on here? Is Microsoft in cahoots with someone so that we stop using Windows Media Player to give ratings to songs??

:)

Mybio, Nov 19, 2021

2. Can't Change MP3 Details

Hi David,

For us to better assist you, we'd like to ask a few questions with regard to changing the details of MP3 files.

• Are you getting any error messages when changing the details of a Mp3 file? If yes, what is the exact error message?
    • Have you tried any troubleshooting steps before posting this concern? If yes, what are those?

Looking forward to your response.

Reymichael Ros, Nov 19, 2021
  3. How to force WMP to always apply/display changes to mp3 tag info?

Sorry for my late reply - I was planning to respond sooner but other things kept coming in the way.

Anyway, how exactly are you checking whether the rating was saved to file? If you use Mp3tag, it should be listed in Extended Tags as a tag called RATING WMP.

I suggest that you uncheck Maintain my star ratings as global ratings in files once again, click Apply, recheck that same setting and click Apply again. Then WMP should ask you if it should export the current ratings in the library to your files, click OK to confirm. Does that help to get the existing ratings saved to your MP3 files?

Also worth checking is what happens when you change a song's rating in the library - does WMP save the new rating to the corresponding file as it should? You may need to use the Apply media information changes command to force WMP to write the rating immediately, as it usually only does this after a while in the background.

Tim De Baets, Nov 19, 2021
  4. Why can't I change ratings of MP3 files in Windows 11?

Txt Files changing to .MP3 in windows

I have 2 .txt files that have simple serial numbers inside, when i went to open today, they are listed now as .MP3, when i attempt to open with notepad, the contents is jumbled and not readable. the files were never changed manually as the data inside was not needed for several weeks

conrad9900, Nov 19, 2021
Thema:

Why can't I change ratings of MP3 files in Windows 11?

1. Why can't I change ratings of MP3 files in Windows 11? - Similar Threads - Why can't change

2. MP3 music rating & Taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MP3 music rating & Taskbar: When I have added a new MP3 file, I cannot correct the rating. Most new songs do not have a rating. When is this problem going to be fixed. Windows 11 has been out for some time now and has not been fixed. Also, I DO NOT WANT MY TASKBAR ON THE BOTTOM OF THE SCREEN. Why can't...
  3. can't change music files ratings such as mp3 in file properties in windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can't change music files ratings such as mp3 in file properties in windows 11: In win 10 I used to right click on any mp3 file and select details tab in properties, then click on the stars next to rating to change it.In win 11, there are no stars, instead it is in written format. So if a file was rated with 3 stars, it'd be written "3 Stars" next to...
  4. can't change music files ratings such as mp3 in file properties in windows 11

can't change music files ratings such as mp3 in file properties in windows 11: In win 10 I used to right click on any mp3 file and select details tab in properties, then click on the stars next to rating to change it.In win 11, there are no stars, instead it is in written format. So if a file was rated with 3 stars, it'd be written "3 Stars" next to...
  5. I can't change the tags of mp3 files.

I can't change the tags of mp3 files.: Up to a point everything was fine, and then I suddenly couldn't change anything. I did a clean boot, but it didn't change anything, and then I installed Mp3tag, which let me edit the properties of the file but as a result the file became unplayable....
  6. I can't change the tags of mp3 files.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I can't change the tags of mp3 files.: Up to a point everything was fine, and then I suddenly couldn't change anything. I did a clean boot, but it didn't change anything, and then I installed Mp3tag, which let me edit the properties of the file but as a result the file became unplayable....
  7. I can't change the tags of mp3 files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Why can't I change ratings of MP3 files in Windows 11?

Why can't I change ratings of MP3 files in Windows 11?: Windows 10 was already quite "annoying" in the sense that ratings assigned to songs in Windows Media Player were only temporary. In order to make those ratings permanent, one had to go to the corresponding MP3 file and change manually the rating in the Properties / Details of...
  9. Why I cannot rate music files in Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why I cannot rate music files in Windows 11?: For part of my music selection I use to rate star 1-5 the music files. In the File Explorer version of Windows 10 you could easily add a rating, changing the Properties below Extra of the music file. But in Windows 11 the File Explorer shows my Windows 10 ratings, but I'm not...
  10. Why I cannot rate music files in Windows 11?

Why I cannot rate music files in Windows 11?: For part of my music selection I use to rate star 1-5 the music files. In the File Explorer version of Windows 10 you could easily add a rating, changing the Properties below Extra of the music file. But in Windows 11 the File Explorer shows my Windows 10 ratings, but I'm not...