Windows 10: Why can't I change sensitivity on my microphone?

Discus and support Why can't I change sensitivity on my microphone? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I bought a new USB headset for my computer HyperX cloud 2 and the earphones work great, but I was told my microphone was very quiet and the computer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by MitchellLipsett, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Why can't I change sensitivity on my microphone?

I bought a new USB headset for my computer HyperX cloud 2 and the earphones work great, but I was told my microphone was very quiet and the computer itself can barley pick up me talking when testing it through the control panel. I tried to adjust the the sensitivity of the mic itself through the control panel>sound>recording and went into the properties of the mic but it is stuck at 0.0 d.b. I can make it usable through discord because of all the settings they offer, but other applications still pick me up as quiet.

:)

MitchellLipsett, Sep 16, 2020
  2. szerwony Win User

Microphone sensitivity changing by itself

Hi. I tried troubleshooter, but it didn't find anything. I can't disable microphone access for apps, because I use mic very often in many apps - Discord, Teams, OBS, Bandicam, web browsers and sometimes other software. I need mic to be locked at 80, because
    it's very important when I am recording something or streaming with OBS.

I was trying to figure out which app is changing sensitivity, but I failed to. I set mic sensitivity at 80 and was using step by step every app, but none of those changed sensitivity. But when I am using PC "normally", I need almost everyday to change sensitivity
    back to 80.

szerwony, Sep 16, 2020
  3. szerwony Win User
    Microphone sensitivity changing by itself

Hi. I have problem with microphone sensitivity in Windows 10. I noticed, that it is changing by itself. I would like to lock it at 80, but it often increases. I already disabled "exclusive mode" in
    mic properties and also set "do nothing" in "communications" tab, but it's still chanigng. How can I prevent it?

My microphone is Samson Go Mic.

szerwony, Sep 16, 2020
  4. SolarHawk Win User

Why can't I change sensitivity on my microphone?

Windows Automatically Adjusts Microphone Sensitivity

This is the millionth time I've posted this thread because no one has bothered replying!
    Basically I have a Samson Meteorite USB microphone, and I use it for Skype and communicating in games. Ever since a few weeks ago, I noticed my sensitivity levels on Skype were going up and up as I spoke, and then not coming down, even though I had "Automatically adjust microphone settings" unchecked. When I look on recording devices on Windows, the sensitivity also adjusts on there. I have tried moving the slider back down on both programs only for it to go back up again. I have also adjusted the microphone sensitivity on Steam, but that changes accordingly too.

It is highly annoying considering it adjusts to stupid levels where my microphone picks up everything and my friends begin to hear echo too. I have been looking at posts about this for a couple of weeks now and a huge amount of people seem to have this problem, mostly to do with Skype, and they all say the same thing:
    1. Make sure "Auto-adjust" is unchecked in Skype settings.
    2. Make sure "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" is unchecked in Audio settings.

Basically I cannot find any other more advanced explanations or solutions, apart from some program someone wrote to readjust it automatically every second, which in my opinion is not a feasible solution. This annoys me so much because it should just be so simple and not cause any hassle, but also because I have literally no idea what could be causing it to automatically adjust itself. I had a thought that it could be other programs that have access to my microphone that are adjusting it but firstly I unchecked option 2 ^ and secondly I have no idea what other programs would use my microphone.

NOTE: Also just to add, I have a web-cam and its sensitivity adjusts itself too, so it's not my microphone.
    Any help would be much appreciated, and maybe there are other settings I have missed?

Many thanks in advance,
    Tom

Windows 10 (64 bit)

SolarHawk, Sep 16, 2020
Thema:

Why can't I change sensitivity on my microphone?

1. Why can't I change sensitivity on my microphone? - Similar Threads - Why can't change

2. Why can't I change my brightness

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why can't I change my brightness: I have looked everywhere but I just down have a brightness slider, whether I look in settings on in the quick actions. Where is it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-cant-i-change-my-brightness/a0893128-e3d2-4240-b591-7f396603f4fb
  3. Why can't I change my brightness

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why can't I change my brightness: I have looked everywhere but I just down have a brightness slider, whether I look in settings on in the quick actions. Where is it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-cant-i-change-my-brightness/a0893128-e3d2-4240-b591-7f396603f4fb
  4. Why can't i change microphone default format

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why can't i change microphone default format: When you go to sound setting and click recording and go to the device and press properties and go to advanced setting you should be able to change the format but it's greyed out. I have tried everything including updating drivers, changing ports, trying on different...
  5. Why can't i change microphone default format

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why can't i change microphone default format: When you go to sound setting and click recording and go to the device and press properties and go to advanced setting you should be able to change the format but it's greyed out. I have tried everything including updating drivers, changing ports, trying on different...
  6. Why can't i change microphone default format

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. I can't change my microphone gain.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I can't change my microphone gain.: Hello, I've been running into issues with my new Jounivo microphone, and I found a solution in my manual, which told me to change the gain to a specific amount, although when I try to change the gain of my microphone I can't find the volume booster slider, and even after...
  8. Microphone sensitivity changing by itself

Microphone sensitivity changing by itself: Hi. I have problem with microphone sensitivity in Windows 10. I noticed, that it is changing by itself. I would like to lock it at 80, but it often increases. I already disabled "exclusive mode" in mic properties and also set "do nothing" in "communications" tab, but it's...
  9. My microphone is way too sensitive

My microphone is way too sensitive: Hi, For the past month, i've been experiencing issues with my microphone Rode nt USB It is way too sensitive. It pucks up absolutely everything especially my pc fans so i allways have a background noise and the level of the mic isn't very high even at 100% i've had this mic...
  10. my microphone is too sensitive

my microphone is too sensitive: every time i talk to my friends they dont hear me because i talk quietly but they hear the noise of the microphone or air or whatever i wanted to change it too be quieter but every time i do that my friends cant hear me anymore...