Windows 10: Why can't I clone the EFI partition of my NVMe drive to a new NVme drivevia USB adapter on...

Discus and support Why can't I clone the EFI partition of my NVMe drive to a new NVme drivevia USB adapter on... in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; For the past couple of days, I have been trying to clone my Intel H10 Optane 512GB NVMe drive to my Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe via a USB to m.2 adapter.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Jaelon Barnes-Hamilton, Jan 13, 2023.

1. Why can't I clone the EFI partition of my NVMe drive to a new NVme drivevia USB adapter on...

For the past couple of days, I have been trying to clone my Intel H10 Optane 512GB NVMe drive to my Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe via a USB to m.2 adapter. After trying to clone over the disk on programs such as EaseUS Partition Manager, Aoemei Partition Manager, and Macrium Reflect, they are all unable to successfully clone ONLY the EFI partition. This made me suspect a bad sector, however, I have not had any problems with the booting or performance of my Dell laptop. This led me to suspect that it may be due to the Dev Version status of my PC. Notes: - Both drives are formatted for GPT - The I

:)

Jaelon Barnes-Hamilton, Jan 13, 2023

2. Clone present nvme pcie ssd to replacement nvme pcie ssd?

I have a 500GB M.2 2280 NVMe PCIe SSD (boot drive) that I want to replace with a higher capacity M.2 card.

Where do I put the new SSD during the NVMe to NVMe cloning process? My mobo only has one M.2 slot for NVMe SSD's so do I want to use an external adapter for one of the M.2 cards? If so, do you have a recommendation?

If you have solved this issue for your desktop or laptop I would like your advice on if and what extra hardware you needed during the cloning.

please remember that I am dealing with PCIe NVMe drives ONLY. NO Sata is involved except possibly for a connecting cable from the desktop to an adapter. I am experienced with cloning SATA III drives but cloning NVMe is a little
    new to me.

Computer: Dell XPS 8920, 32GB ram.

Present SSD: KXG50ZNV512G NVMe Toshiba 512GB

New SSD: CT13049074 Crucial P1 NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD 1TB (or 2TB if available soon) or similar storage device.

Windows 10 Pro for Workstations, version 1809.

Cbarnhorst, Jan 13, 2023
  3. pbftvt Win User
    M.2 SATA to NVME clone: Windows 10 won't boot

Problem: Windows partition won't boot after cloning M.2 SATA drive to M.2 NVME. Simply returns to BIOS splash screen are restarts boot sequence.

Background: Cloning process was simple raw dd copy. Drive had EFI, Windows 10, and Linux partitions. Cloning preserved exact partition sequence, sizes, and UUIDs.

Linux partition needed minor tweaks to /etc/fstab due to the device names being different (/dev/nvme0n1px vs. /dev/sdax), but boots fine.

The disk is GPT, and I believe the original Windows 10 was UEFI - the Linux installation definitely was.

Boot sequence brings up Linux 'grub' menu first. Choosing the EFI partition then brings up Windows EFI boot menu. Fresh Windows install (see below) boots fine from here, old install fails.

Attempts at solution: I did a fresh Windows install in a spare partition and it boots fine. Using the new Windows installation, I've edited the BCD entry for my original Win 10 install. I have
    the correct BCD device, osdevice, and path.

Questions:

• What else needs to be done to make Windows boot again?
    • Are there any config file or registry changes that need to be made to account for the SATA to NVME move?
    • How do I see boot error messages for a UEFI boot failure? No errors displayed and no log files that I can find in Windows or EFI partitions...

pbftvt, Jan 13, 2023
  4. slance310 Win User

Why can't I clone the EFI partition of my NVMe drive to a new NVme drivevia USB adapter on...

Missing Boot record (Error code: 0xc000000e) after cloning OS from an NVMe SSD to a SATA SSD

Hi,

I'm having a bit of trouble following what you have done so far, but might suggest a trick that might work..

Your one picture says Disk 0 is the new cloned drive, but is showing a 256gb, not 1tb... Not a big deal, but I just wanted to make sure what I mention is correct..

Will the machine boot from the 256gb SSD with the NVMe and new 1tb removed ?

My impression is that you are now working with the new 1tb SSD that was a clone of the NVMe, and the NVMe that had the new 1tb SSD cloned back to it..

This is my suggestion that has worked for me in the past, but not always.. The way windows lays out the partitions in UEFI machines can be tricky.. Sometimes just 1mb of free space before the first partition can break the deal..

If your machine boots properly from the temp 256gb SSD, try this.. It will require that you make an image of the 256gb SSD and use bootable Macrium to restore part of it to the NVMe.. I chose the NVMe for this because it is a copy of a copy.. The best original
    you have is now the new 1tb SSD..

Remove all other drives before attempting to boot with the NVMe after doing this..

After imaging the 256gb SSD, try recovering it's first Recovery partition to the NVMe and see what happens.. If that does not work, try Recovering both the Recovery and EFI.. If that fails, try all three of the partitions prior to the Windows partition..

If you still need to create the bootable media, don't even bother messing with the WinPE\Re version.. It is a real pain to create, and in my opinion, does not work as well as the Linux version.. The Linux version pretty much ignores any type of Windows fussiness,
    and just does the job you request..

BTW.. Another method might be to wipe the NVMe and reinstall Windows... Then once installed and functioning, image the cloned 1tb SSD, then restore the windows partition to the NVMe overwriting what has just been installed..

slance310, Jan 13, 2023
Thema:

Why can't I clone the EFI partition of my NVMe drive to a new NVme drivevia USB adapter on...

1. Why can't I clone the EFI partition of my NVMe drive to a new NVme drivevia USB adapter on... - Similar Threads - Why can't clone

2. PRoblems cloning an NVMe

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PRoblems cloning an NVMe: I asked about this on Bleeping Computer two days ago, but didn't get a reply.I'm trying to clone a 250GB NVMe boot to a 2TB NVMe. I've done this successfully four times before, but I.m having problems this time, The other times I used a fresh new drive, this time I'm trying...
  3. PRoblems cloning an NVMe

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PRoblems cloning an NVMe: I asked about this on Bleeping Computer two days ago, but didn't get a reply.I'm trying to clone a 250GB NVMe boot to a 2TB NVMe. I've done this successfully four times before, but I.m having problems this time, The other times I used a fresh new drive, this time I'm trying...
  4. Why can't I clone the EFI partition of my NVMe drive to a new NVme drivevia USB adapter on...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why can't I clone the EFI partition of my NVMe drive to a new NVme drivevia USB adapter on...: For the past couple of days, I have been trying to clone my Intel H10 Optane 512GB NVMe drive to my Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe via a USB to m.2 adapter. After trying to clone over the disk on programs such as EaseUS Partition Manager, Aoemei Partition Manager, and Macrium...
  5. Installed new Nvme drive - cloned windows 10 to it but it won't boot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Installed new Nvme drive - cloned windows 10 to it but it won't boot: Hi My Motherboard a X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING-CF has two Nvme sockets but i want to add a third 1TB Nvme ssd. So I bought a Sabrent adapter card and a new 1TB WD black Nvme ssd. I added the new Sabrent adapter with the new WD 1TB in and cloned the windows system to it. I then...
  6. No Recovery Partition on cloned NVMe SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    No Recovery Partition on cloned NVMe SSD: I have used Aomei Backupper to clone a Windows 10 Pro SATA3 SSD to a new NVMe M2 SSD. It went well and I now have a new boot drive but the cloning process did not copy over the Recovery Partition from the original SSD. Is that a problem? Thanks 179622
  7. New crash issues since Nvme drive clone replacement

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    New crash issues since Nvme drive clone replacement: I just replaced my SSD boot drive a few days ago with an Nvme drive and have since blue screened twice while playing Skyrim SE. I haven't yet updated the Nvidia graphics drivers since a recent restore, as the latest drivers seem to have issues loading tbmalloc.dll and...
  8. Inaccessible Boot Device after NVMe to NVMe clone

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Inaccessible Boot Device after NVMe to NVMe clone: I used Clonezilla to clone an HP EX920 to a Samsung 980 NVMe. Then I replaced the HP with the 980 in my PC as primary boot device and it started to boot, showing the Windows loading screen. Eventually it BSOD and had inaccessible boot device. Apparently Clonezilla set up the...
  9. Partitions or new "drives" on at 1TB NVMe SSD?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Partitions or new "drives" on at 1TB NVMe SSD?: Windows 10 V2004 Transferring from an older PC to a new computer that has a 1TB SSD. Windows 10 is installed on new PC. Can I (should I) create partitions or artificial "drive" letters or just folders to divide up the space for transfers? 166327
  10. Is a NVME Enclosure Required For Cloning?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is a NVME Enclosure Required For Cloning?: I will be cloning my 2.5 inch samsung ssd that is in my dell xps 15 9550 into a new 1tb samsung 970 evo NVME ssd. I decided I will buy that ssd as oppose to the sk hynix. I know samsung has that migration software which works great for cloning. So i will use that as oppose to...