Windows 10: Why can't I create shortcuts to folders?

Discus and support Why can't I create shortcuts to folders? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I used to create shortcut to folders in other network drives I have access to so that I don't always have to remember which one lives where. I can't do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Luna510, Sep 25, 2023.

1. Luna510 Win User

Why can't I create shortcuts to folders?

I used to create shortcut to folders in other network drives I have access to so that I don't always have to remember which one lives where. I can't do that anymore with Windows 11 and I am too upset.

:)

Luna510, Sep 25, 2023

2. creating new folder problem in windows 10 creator

Hi Gudiya,

The problem you've encountered in creating a folder could be caused by software or program conflict as the issue appeared a few days after installing the Windows 10 Creators update. For us to know if this only occurs when creating a new folder from the desktop,
    we suggest that you try creating a new folder using a keyboard shortcut or from File Explorer. Please refer to the steps below:

Creating a new folder using a keyboard shortcut.

• Click on the desktop.
    • Press CTRL + SHIFT + N.
    • A new folder should be created.

Creating a new folder from File Explorer.

• Open File Explorer.
    • Hover your mouse on the location where you want to create a new folder.
    • Right-click it, go to New > Folder.

In case the problem persists, then we suggest that you go ahead and perform a clean boot. Doing so will start your computer using minimal drivers to help us determine what conflict is causing the problem. Check out
    How to perform a clean boot in Windows for the detailed steps.

Let us know the result so we can further assist you.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Sep 25, 2023
  3. RonZajac Win User
    "Create Shortcut" to a folder on a USB drive not working

Figured it out, and I have to admit it's (more than) a little embarrassing.

It turns out the generated shortcuts were being deposited elsewhere in the explorer folder window, out of sight.

The folder contents are sorted by Name, alphabetically, but with node type as a primary key, with folders at the top, using the List view. I have hundreds of folders in this folders, so I'm instigating this creation of a shortcut *of* a folder among a sea
    of folders in my list.

What was happening is that the Shortcut *was* being created, but deposited for viewing among the files, out of my sight. I accidentally tripped over scads of created shortcuts when I was scrolling along!

Since I normally create shortcuts of files (not folders), the new shortcut is usually deposited right alongside the target file. I expected this behavior when creating a shortcut for a folder, but it was a mistaken expectation.

Problem "solved"; a dumb User error fixed by a slightly smarter User.

Sorry for the red herring.

RonZajac, Sep 25, 2023
  4. MYKhashba Win User

Is there a way to create a folder shortcut?

Hi oofie

As i know that is not possible to do a shortcut to a folder but you can do the following:

- make shortcut to important applications to your standby

- move the "apps folder " you created to the middle of the phone Menu so it will be just 2 steps to get in it

I hope that helps , and please let me know Why can't I create shortcuts to folders? :)

MYKhashba, Sep 25, 2023
Thema:

1. Why can't I create shortcuts to folders? - Similar Threads - Why can't create

2. Why can't I create shortcuts to folders?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why can't I create shortcuts to folders?: I used to create shortcut to folders in other network drives I have access to so that I don't always have to remember which one lives where. I can't do that anymore with Windows 11 and I am too upset....
  3. Windows 11 Can't Create New Folder. Creates A Shortcut Instead

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Can't Create New Folder. Creates A Shortcut Instead: For about 2 weeks now, whenever I try to create a new folder it instead creates a shortcut. I tried attaching two images to the post but it kept saying failed so I uploaded it to imgur instead.https://i.imgur.com/v5YKMBd.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/v2Ug8H6.pngAny help would be...
  4. Windows 11 Can't Create New Folder. Creates A Shortcut Instead

Windows 11 Can't Create New Folder. Creates A Shortcut Instead: For about 2 weeks now, whenever I try to create a new folder it instead creates a shortcut. I tried attaching two images to the post but it kept saying failed so I uploaded it to imgur instead.https://i.imgur.com/v5YKMBd.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/v2Ug8H6.pngAny help would be...
  5. Why can't I create a text document in my folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why can't I create a text document in my folder?: Ok so, I have a hoi4 mod file where I have to create text documents but the problem is that I can't create the document. I don't know what any of the advanced coding things to fix it is so please be very simple in your solution step by step. I do use notepad++...
  6. Why can't I create a text document in my folder?

Why can't I create a text document in my folder?: Ok so, I have a hoi4 mod file where I have to create text documents but the problem is that I can't create the document. I don't know what any of the advanced coding things to fix it is so please be very simple in your solution step by step. I do use notepad++...
  7. why i can't create . folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why i can't create . folder: i want create . foder i try to use cmd to create . foder but it say . already existsi https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-i-cant-create-folder/39b90761-3f4d-4c80-bb25-94a96662d4a9
  8. why i can't create . folder

why i can't create . folder: i want create . foder i try to use cmd to create . foder but it say . already existsi https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-i-cant-create-folder/39b90761-3f4d-4c80-bb25-94a96662d4a9
  9. Can't create shortcuts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't create shortcuts: Everytime I create shortcuts I get"the target of this internet shortcut is not valid. Go to the internet shortcut property sheet and make sure the target is correct" plz help y'all ive tried so many YouTube solutions already...
  10. Can't create website shortcut.

in Browsers and Email
    Can't create website shortcut.: As the title says, I can't create a shortcut to a web site, mine actually. I can create one for other sites, but not for mine. Why is that? 151732