Windows 10: Why can't I disable Windows Defender?

Discus and support Why can't I disable Windows Defender? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, I've been trying to follow guides on disabling windows defender but things look different for me. First I tried this guide, I can find the "virus &... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Captain Calvin, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Why can't I disable Windows Defender?

Hi, I've been trying to follow guides on disabling windows defender but things look different for me. First I tried this guide, I can find the "virus & threat protection" thing to click but mine looks different and can't continue to follow the instructions from that point. Here is what I see on my PC:

Why can't I disable Windows Defender? [​IMG]

I also tried to follow the regedit alternative but it doesn't seem to have had any effect. Can someone please help me disable this thing?

Thank You

Windows 10 x64 Pro, Version 1909 Build 18363.592

Edit: I've been told that since I have Avast installed Defender is automatically disabled, that's a real problem, because Windows is deleting files in the same manner that Defender does, in the past I've always solved that problem by disabling Defender. Is there a way to really check to see if it has actually been disabled? Maybe it's bugged.

The error code given is this: 0x80004005

:)

Captain Calvin, Feb 7, 2020

2. How to disable windows defender for long time?

Hi Andrew,

If I understand you correctly you are willing to disable Windows Defender from your system. I would like to know few more things to understand the issue in a better way.

• Why are you trying to disable Windows Defender? Are you planning to install any third party security software?
    • From where you have followed the steps to disable Windows defender using registry?
    • Are you logged in as Administrator?

The steps which you have mentioned to disable Windows Defender using gpedit.msc is correct. If you are unable to disable it then you may do that by stopping the service responsible for Windows Defender. Here are steps which you may follow to perform the
    same task.

• Press Windows key + R to open run box.
    • Type services.msc and hit enter.
    • There should be 2 services: Windows Defender Service
      and Windows Defender Network14.
    • Right click on each and press stop.

If you will stop the service responsible for Windows Defender then it will not run till it is stopped. Do get back to us with all the information required and result of proposed suggestion. We will be happy to assist you further.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, Feb 7, 2020
  3. How to disable windows defender for long time?

Dear ramesh,

I too agree with Farah in that the options to start, stop Windows Defender are not clickable. There should be a way to stop the WD

Azad Rahimtoola, Feb 7, 2020
  4. Why can't I disable Windows Defender?

Windows Defender disables itself

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing the issue on Windows defender.

I will certainly help you with this.

I would like to inform you that if you have other antivirus on your computer, so Windows defender automatically

disable itself.

If you don’t have any other antivirus on computer then I would suggest you to check the services for Windows defender:

Steps:

• Close all application and program and reboot the computer.

• Press Windows key+R.

• Type services.msc and press enter.

• From the list, you will see two services for Windows defender.

• Right click on both the services one at a time.

• Click on properties.

• Under general tab, select automatic from startup type.

• Click on start and then click on apply and then ok.

• Reboot the computer and check if it helps.

I hope this helps. Please post back with the status of the issue and we will be glad to assist you further.

Shubham Chaubey, Feb 7, 2020
Thema:

Why can't I disable Windows Defender?

1. Why can't I disable Windows Defender? - Similar Threads - Why can't disable

2. why can't i desativate windows defender?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why can't i desativate windows defender?: Why can't I disactivate Windows defender and get this error if this is my new personal computer?I can't even control the anti-virus and define folders not to scan or ad exceptions... how to fix this?...
  3. why can't i desativate windows defender?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    why can't i desativate windows defender?: Why can't I disactivate Windows defender and get this error if this is my new personal computer?I can't even control the anti-virus and define folders not to scan or ad exceptions... how to fix this?...
  4. Why can't I disable windows ink?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why can't I disable windows ink?: There is no setting to turn it off and it's getting really annoying. : https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-cant-i-disable-windows-ink/9fa72812-52f1-4ffa-a390-c375ca74a39c
  5. Why can't I disable windows ink?

Why can't I disable windows ink?: There is no setting to turn it off and it's getting really annoying. : https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-cant-i-disable-windows-ink/9fa72812-52f1-4ffa-a390-c375ca74a39c
  6. I can't disable Windows Security/Defender

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't disable Windows Security/Defender: Hello, I want to disable Windows Firewall/Security beacuse the ram usage is too high. But when I disable Windows Security, it enables itself please help me. Thanks...
  7. I can't disable Windows Security/Defender

I can't disable Windows Security/Defender: Hello, I want to disable Windows Firewall/Security beacuse the ram usage is too high. But when I disable Windows Security, it enables itself please help me. Thanks...
  8. Why can't I disable Windows Defender?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Why can't I disable Windows Defender?: Hi, I've been trying to follow guides on disabling windows defender but things look different for me. First I triedthis guide but things look different, I can find the "virus & threat protection" thing to click but mine looks different and can't continue to follow the...
  9. Can't disable Windows Defender anymore

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't disable Windows Defender anymore: I'm on a fresh 1903 install with all updates and everything. I'm using the gpedit.msc method to disable Windows Defender via a group policy. To achieve that I enabled Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows components > Windows Defender > Turn Off Windows...
  10. Can't disable Windows Defender with Kaspersky

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can't disable Windows Defender with Kaspersky: I've found the page that advises on how to disable Windows Defender on here, but the screen I get in the 'Windows Defender Security Centre' looks nothing like I see there, and there is no option to turn off real time protection, only a way of changing scan options. I keep...