Windows 10: Why can't I drag a folder to the right side of the start menu?

Discus and support Why can't I drag a folder to the right side of the start menu? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm in the process of trying to put a shortcut to a folder on the right side of the Start menu. The most obvious approach to me is to drag it from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by THX1138, Apr 15, 2019.

1. THX1138 Win User

Why can't I drag a folder to the right side of the start menu?

I'm in the process of trying to put a shortcut to a folder on the right side of the Start menu. The most obvious approach to me is to drag it from Windows File Explorer onto the rightside of the Start menu which gets me the below response denying the action. Why is this? A company the size of Microsoft can surely forsee this intention and action. Why would they choose to prevent it? It is it a security risk? Is it to save for some future update so we can impressed at how usable Windows is finally becoming after 30 years of development? Having to perform extensive searches on how to do basic tasks is the kind of crap I expect from Linux.

Why can't I drag a folder to the right side of the start menu? [​IMG]

:)

THX1138, Apr 15, 2019
  2. Naki Win User

Feature suggestion: Add right-click menu

Suggestion: Please add a Windows 7 Jump-List and/or right-click menu to the GPU-Z icon in the Windows taskbar. Possible menus in it would be "Exit" and "About GPU-Z...".
    Maybe also "Switch to tab 1/Switch to tab 2/Switch to videocard 1/Switch to videocard 2" too.
    Examples of programs that have such menus are ICQ, Skype, AIM.

NOTE: It seems for a right-click menu, Windows 7 is not needed - it works on WinXP and Vista too.
    But even a Windows 7 Jump-list may be good enough.
    What do you think?

3. How how do you always display text for start menu folders?

Hi,

Start Menu is one of the feature enhanced in Windows 10. You can customize Start Menu by following these steps:

• Open Settings.
    • Choose Personalization.
    • Click Start.
    These are the options that you can see under Start:

• With the Show more tiles, you can expand tile column.
    • Turning on Occasionally show suggestions in Start will show suggestions in Windows 10.
    • Show most used apps will show most used apps list on Start Menu.
    • Enabling Show recently added apps will display the program you installed last.
    • You can also view Start Menu in full screen by enabling Use Start full screen.
    • Show recently opened items in Jump Lists on Start or the taskbar
      will show your recently opened items.
    • To choose what apps or folders you like to appear on you Start Menu, you can click
      Choose which folders appear on Start.
    Note: You can also resize the Start Menu by simply dragging the top or the right edge of the Start Menu.

Let us know how it goes.

Antoneth Ber, Apr 15, 2019
  4. Why can't I drag a folder to the right side of the start menu?

How do ya add to window start menu?

Make a Start menu shortcut to it in the All Programs section. Then drag it to the top left of the original Cascade menu. (Where windows update normally is).
    lol @ folder name

theonetruewill, Apr 15, 2019
Thema:

Why can't I drag a folder to the right side of the start menu?

1. Why can't I drag a folder to the right side of the start menu? - Similar Threads - Why can't drag

2. Start menu side shrunk.

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu side shrunk.: Not sure where to post this. I opened the Start button > found the entire left side of Start Menu has been shrunk. See screenshot below. How do I put it back to normal ? I have tried the icons on the left side but they are not what I need to fix it. [img] 125708
  3. Can't right click on empy spaces on the start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't right click on empy spaces on the start menu: Since this started out as me trying to customize the start menu, I guess I'll post this here. If the mods feel another place is more appropriate, please move this thread there. I've seen screen shots of people right clicking on empty spaces of the start menu to go to...
  4. Changing the Start Menu Tile Side

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing the Start Menu Tile Side: I have basically given up hope that Microsoft will return the Windows 7 (and before) Start Menu back where it belongs. So I want to play their game and try to modify the tile side. I see that programs that I pin to the Start menu go to the very bottom of the tiles. I added a...
  5. Why can't I click on my Start Menu (sometimes)?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why can't I click on my Start Menu (sometimes)?: I am running Windows 10 on a 15 month old Dell laptop. Starting yesterday, I've been having trouble clicking on items on the Windows Start Menu. When I try to launch an app by clicking on a Start Menu icon, no border is drawn around the icon and the app won't launch. This...
  6. Why can't I move a folder?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why can't I move a folder?: I have a folder with icons in it which I downloaded online to import into a program I have called FolderMagic. I've had and used this program for years. After importing the icons into the FolderMagic program, I want to save this icon folder as a sub-folder inside another...
  7. Expand the start menu (left side)

in Windows 10 Support
    Expand the start menu (left side): Perhaps I'm missing something but can the left side (non tiled side) of the start menu be expanded? If so, how? [img] I kind of find it a bit annoying that I can't expand that side out a little so I can easily read item titles. Thanks. 24456
  8. Can't drag shortcuts from the start menu to the desktop anymore...

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't drag shortcuts from the start menu to the desktop anymore...: Since recently, I can't drag en drop icons from my start menu to my desktop anymore... When I click the icon and drag it to the desktop, I see it on the desktop, with the overlay that a shortcut will be created there, but when I release the mouse button, the round waiting...
  9. Can't delete a folder named "start menu"

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't delete a folder named "start menu": I copied the (highly configured) start menu folder from an old computer to a new computer. After using this folder to help configure the new computer I want to delete it. Win10 won't let me.*Sad Is there a solution to this problem? 31620
  10. Can't drag and drop within the Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't drag and drop within the Start Menu: Hi, Windows 10 doesn't seem to allow drag and dropping within the Start Menu... As a result, I can't place anything there which doesn't include a "Pin to Start" option upon right click. I'm also unable to drag/drop onto existing Start Menu items (see attached). Is...