Windows 10: Why can't I find files on my PC with Windows Explorer

Discus and support Why can't I find files on my PC with Windows Explorer in Cortana to solve the problem; I spend hours searching through folders for files, images etc that I know exist on the system, but the search facility in Windows 10 doesn't find them.... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by RoderickRoy, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Why can't I find files on my PC with Windows Explorer

I spend hours searching through folders for files, images etc that I know exist on the system, but the search facility in Windows 10 doesn't find them. It sometimes will not find files that I've just saved - I can locate them, but explorer can't.

In explorer I click on the folder where I know the file is located, put the name of the document or image that I'm looking for in the search box on the right hand side and click search. Occasionally it will come up with the file I want but usually does not.

What am I doing wrong?

:)

RoderickRoy, Nov 4, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Nov 4, 2019
  3. Frick Win User
    Windows Explorer Replacement?

I don't use Internet Explorer, I meant the thing where you can look at files etc. Hotkey Windows+E. Maybe it's the wrong name in english though. *Stick Out Tongue Why can't I find files on my PC with Windows Explorer :p

Frick, Nov 4, 2019
  4. geno368 Win User

Why can't I find files on my PC with Windows Explorer

Some files listed in Windows Explorer are blue font

I seem to have run out of room on a Windows XP Pro system. I tried to defrag but don't have but 7% room available. I looked in Windows Explorer to try to find some huge files that might be corrupt and I see a few that are listed in blue. What does that mean? I have not compressed anything on purpose. Thanks

geno368, Nov 4, 2019
Thema:

Why can't I find files on my PC with Windows Explorer

1. Why can't I find files on my PC with Windows Explorer - Similar Threads - Why can't find

2. I cant find my drive or my pc in file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cant find my drive or my pc in file explorer: The account I'm using is an administrator but I have no access to my PC. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-find-my-drive-or-my-pc-in-file-explorer/e9b86052-b410-42b9-8c7d-683b732df147
  3. I cant find my drive or my pc in file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I cant find my drive or my pc in file explorer: The account I'm using is an administrator but I have no access to my PC. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-find-my-drive-or-my-pc-in-file-explorer/e9b86052-b410-42b9-8c7d-683b732df147
  4. I cant find my drive or my pc in file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Why can't I find my real desktop in File Explorer?

Why can't I find my real desktop in File Explorer?: For some reason when I navigate to my Desktop in Explorer, it isn't my actual desktop. In Explorer there are only 4 or five shortcuts, but I have lots of different things on my actual desktop. Why do they not match, and how can I find the real location where the files are...
  6. Why can't I find my real desktop in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why can't I find my real desktop in File Explorer?: For some reason when I navigate to my Desktop in Explorer, it isn't my actual desktop. In Explorer there are only 4 or five shortcuts, but I have lots of different things on my actual desktop. Why do they not match, and how can I find the real location where the files are...
  7. Why can't I find my real desktop in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. I can't find my previous file or I can't find windows.old on my pc

I can't find my previous file or I can't find windows.old on my pc: I re installed my windows with the option to keep my files . when it was done I couldn't find my pervious file but the hard drive is indicating that the previous files are still there . I've checked user it's only showing my recent files it's showing please how can i get...
  9. Windows Explorer can't find files

Windows Explorer can't find files: My computer was working fine yesterday. Today, I needed to look at a pdf in the Downloads folder, but for all files in the Download folder, I get the message: 'Windows cannot find "C:\Users\My Name\Downloads\File Name'. Outside of the Downloads folder, about half the...
  10. Why can't I open the file explorer?

Why can't I open the file explorer?: I cannot open the file explorer. Whenever I click it, the screen just blinks then goes back to the same screen. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-cant-i-open-the-file-explorer/ba99c094-eb8a-4ac4-a22d-cde159e6d768"