Windows 10: Why can't I get Windows 10 to start OR to reset my PC OR to roll back to a restore point?

Discus and support Why can't I get Windows 10 to start OR to reset my PC OR to roll back to a restore point? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have a Dell Inspiron 15R notebook that I bought in 2012. I upgraded to Windows 10 from Win 7 shortly after Win 10 became available. I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by KarenDible, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Why can't I get Windows 10 to start OR to reset my PC OR to roll back to a restore point?

I have a Dell Inspiron 15R notebook that I bought in 2012. I upgraded to Windows 10 from Win 7 shortly after Win 10 became available. I have installed all Windows 10 updates. I used the laptop all day at a meeting on 2-26-2020, and as I was shutting it down, the laptop was installing some recently-downloaded Windows update. I could not and cannot get Windows 10 to start normally. Pre-boot Dell diagnostics are all normal. The hard drive tests as OK. I have tried all advanced options, including an attempted boot from a clean USB drive containing the Windows 10 software, and going back to any of the last 3 restore points. I can't restore this laptop from a stored backup on an external hard drive because that backup was created in 2018 when BIOS firmware was running, and now it's UEFI firmware. NOTHING works. As I last resort, I tried both types of "Reset PC" commands, first with preservation of my files, and second with a complete reset. Neither of them worked. I get an error message indicating that the rest could not be completed and that "no changes were made."

What gives? Would I be wasting my time if I hired some troubleshooter who knows how to use a command prompt?

P.S. I hope it's just a coincidence, but after reading some stellar reviews I purchased a license for Advanced System Repair Pro, installed it on this Dell Laptop, and ran the scans. That was a few days before I last used the laptop. ASR Pro did not noticeably affect booting or performance on the last 2 days that I used the laptop.

:)

KarenDible, Feb 29, 2020
  2. jellyroll Win User

How to delete inactive System Image Restore Points in System Restore

Windows 10 64-bit.
    When I click "show more restore points" in System Restore I see a bunch of old "system image restore points" that were deleted in past and do not correspond to any currently active restore points. Clicking any of these old restore points, I simply get an error message saying they could not be found, and to select another restore point instead.I would like to delete these restore points listings but have been unable to do so.
    So far, I have tried steps mentioned below without any luck :

Disk Cleanup through (CWhy can't I get Windows 10 to start OR to reset my PC OR to roll back to a restore point? :) Properties
    Disable System Protection (OFF and ON) in System Protection for OS (CWhy can't I get Windows 10 to start OR to reset my PC OR to roll back to a restore point? :)
    Disk Space Usage to minimum (slider button all the way to the left then 'Delete all restore points for this drive'),
    Delete all shown Restore points in CCleaner (the problem ones do not show here),
    Reset Windows Backup to Default in Windows 10 with 'Reset_Windows_Backup.bat' utility.

Any suggestions highly welcome.

jellyroll, Feb 29, 2020
  3. RPG17A Win User
    Windows 10, restore point?

Hi

Sounds like you're in a bit of a mess. If you didn't create any restore points in windows 10 then you can't go to an earlier time. I suggest you reset you PC and start afresh. To do this open settings (left click windows start button and click cogwheel
    icon). Now click the Update and Security group when this opens go down the list on the left and click Recovery. At the top where it says Reset this PC click on Get started, now select the first option Keep my files and follow the instructions, this may take
    a while. When it is finished windows 10 will have been reinstalled and you can start again. If you choose this option when you are starting again have a look at this

LINK
    (or read it first) it contains useful info as to how to set up your PC. If you do this and get set up then please post back and you'll be shown how to create restore points in windows10. If you don't feel confident doing this yourself maybe there is
    someone who can do it for you. This is just my suggestion you may receive other ideas you are more comfortable with.

RPG17A, Feb 29, 2020
  4. cereberus Win User

Why can't I get Windows 10 to start OR to reset my PC OR to roll back to a restore point?

Restore points being deleted

This is not a pitch but a valid suggestion of a superior alternative.

cereberus, Feb 29, 2020
Thema:

Why can't I get Windows 10 to start OR to reset my PC OR to roll back to a restore point?

1. Why can't I get Windows 10 to start OR to reset my PC OR to roll back to a restore point? - Similar Threads - Why can't start

2. Windows 10 update 10-7-23 trashed my computer! no way to get restore point or roll back...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 update 10-7-23 trashed my computer! no way to get restore point or roll back...: On 10-7-23 took a windows 10 update from HELL!!! It deleted all kinds of my files plus removed restore points and have no option to uninstall update ware is the downloadable patch that will restore my computer to what it was before it took update and destroyed my outlook...
  3. Windows 10 update 10-7-23 trashed my computer! no way to get restore point or roll back...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 update 10-7-23 trashed my computer! no way to get restore point or roll back...: On 10-7-23 took a windows 10 update from HELL!!! It deleted all kinds of my files plus removed restore points and have no option to uninstall update ware is the downloadable patch that will restore my computer to what it was before it took update and destroyed my outlook...
  4. Windows 10 update 10-7-23 trashed my computer! no way to get restore point or roll back...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Unable to restore Windows to a restore point or reset PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to restore Windows to a restore point or reset PC: I was installing a new browser called Opera GX. In the middle of the installation, my PC crashed and went into the BIOS mode. After rebooting several times, my PC went into the automatic repair mode. Unfortunately, it was unable to repair my PC automatically. As such, it...
  6. Unable to restore Windows to a restore point or reset PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to restore Windows to a restore point or reset PC: I was installing a new browser called Opera GX. In the middle of the installation, my PC crashed and went into the BIOS mode. After rebooting several times, my PC went into the automatic repair mode. Unfortunately, it was unable to repair my PC automatically. As such, it...
  7. Can't get FS to start after Restore point.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't get FS to start after Restore point.: My Story. I use a local account on my PC, and there is only one account and it is an administrator account. To buy and download MS FS2020, I had to log into my MS account, which I did. After doing this I no long can use My Doc, only Read access. I ended up of a total of three...
  8. Can't Reset PC or Roll Back to Previous Version

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't Reset PC or Roll Back to Previous Version: I recently updated to version 2004 and am having issues. I tried to roll back to a previous version and it starts the process, but never goes through. Same thing if I try to reset the PC. It starts the process like normal, restarts, but nothing changes. Everything is still...
  9. Downgrading Windows Build Without Restore Point Or Roll Back Possible?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Downgrading Windows Build Without Restore Point Or Roll Back Possible?: The title says all , after trying several builds i recon the 1703 to be the fastest and most reliable for my laptop , i have cloned my hard drive and willing to experiment the main aim is to not have to format and install from scratch but to rather downgrade build that has...
  10. Downgrading Windows Build Without Restore Point Or Roll Back Possible?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Downgrading Windows Build Without Restore Point Or Roll Back Possible?: The title says all , after trying several builds i recon the 1703 to be the fastest and most reliable for my laptop , i have cloned my hard drive and willing to experiment the main aim is to not have to format and install from scratch but to rather downgrade build that has...