Windows 10: Why can't I get Windows Update controls on Windows 10 like WSUS has for many years?

Discus and support Why can't I get Windows Update controls on Windows 10 like WSUS has for many years? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] I know the security requirements and patching is important. I know running a few domains at once and patching workstations and servers are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/feldrim, Apr 25, 2021.

1. Why can't I get Windows Update controls on Windows 10 like WSUS has for many years?

Why can't I get Windows Update controls on Windows 10 like WSUS has for many years? 4BmPzCOuIhm2SipiLG80SCSJbZ4uF_pel4enxxrVrwM.jpg

I know the security requirements and patching is important. I know running a few domains at once and patching workstations and servers are such a PITA. But there are tools that eases the process.

At home, why can't I have a similar level of control on my computer? For example;

1. With WSUS, you can add rules to automatically approve updates, eliminating the ones that you need to take care of manually.

Adding a rule to WSUS

1. With WSUS, you can select products and classifications. You should not get BIOS upgrades automatically and install directly. That may cause many issues. Also drivers for old hardware are an issue too. When OEMs EOL/EOS is just finished a few months ago, you know that newer driver will f*** your pc up. You would never want to see that one day you turn on your pc and it only recognizes the onboard display adapter. You may wait for the new upgrades, so that you can properly back up before applying it etc.

Products tab

Classifications tab

1. With WSUS, you can get many details about the update package. For a power user, one can have all the information needed, so can they decide to skip or postpone. You might remember that printer driver causing BSODs. WSUS UI provides detailed information, including superseded updates. So one can postpone or hide the problematic update package until the superseding package is published.

Update package details in WSUS

The good thing is that these information is already on Windows update servers, while only IT Pro tools like SCCM or WSUS download and utilize the said information. It's nice to have the capability for power users, if not for all users. A default rule that cannot be disabled and including security/critical updates would fit the scheme well.

I wonder if it's overengineering, but seems like a good idea.

submitted by /u/feldrim
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/feldrim, Apr 25, 2021
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Apr 25, 2021
  3. qubit Win User
    The WSUS support thread

This thread is for all things WSUS (Windows Server Update Services). Discussion, installation questions, problems all go here.

What is WSUS? It's basically a big file cache for all your Windows/Microsoft updates, so all your updates are only ever downloaded over the internet once. Instead of getting your updates directly from Microsoft whenever you reinstall your operating system, you point Windows to your local WSUS server instead. This makes downloading the multi-gigabytes of updates way faster using your internal network and also saves your internet bandwidth, which is often metered and limited.

Note that it requires Windows Server to run. I recommend running the latest Server 2008 R2 for performance, stability and security, if you can. This is a 64-bit only OS. And yes, the server can update from it's own WSUS server too. *Cool Why can't I get Windows Update controls on Windows 10 like WSUS has for many years? :cool:

I've got links to a few resources below and I'll be adding more goodness to this post and the next one, as people make useful contributions to this thread.

Some WSUS resources to get you started:

The manual: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd939796(WS.10).aspx

WSUS home: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/wsus/default.aspx

WSUS forum: Technet forums - WSUS

WSUS wiki: www.wsuswiki.com

POINTING WINDOWS TO THE WSUS SERVER

Note that this procedure is all you have to do on Vista and 7. XP requires a little extra and the whole update process isn't as transparent or efficient.

- Click the Orb at the bottom left of the desktop aka 'Start' button
    - In the search field enter GPEDIT.MSC
    - In the Local Group Policy Editor (LGPE) console that appears, navigate to: Computer configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update
    - Double click the Specify Intranet Microsoft update service location Group Policy setting. Note that Not Configured is showing in the State column

Why can't I get Windows Update controls on Windows 10 like WSUS has for many years? WSUSsetup01.png

- The dialog box opens. Note that the Not Configured radio button is selected

Why can't I get Windows Update controls on Windows 10 like WSUS has for many years? WSUSsetup02.png

- Enter the server details, by clicking the Enabled radio button and entering the same details in both Options fields. The server's name is the standard Windows name. My server is called afterburner *Smile Why can't I get Windows Update controls on Windows 10 like WSUS has for many years? :)

Why can't I get Windows Update controls on Windows 10 like WSUS has for many years? WSUSsetup03.png

- Click OK. The main LGPE window now looks like below. Note that Enabled is now showing in the State column.

Why can't I get Windows Update controls on Windows 10 like WSUS has for many years? WSUSsetup04.png

- Close the LGPE window

- Open the Windows Update window. It should now show You receive updates: Managed by your system administrator

Why can't I get Windows Update controls on Windows 10 like WSUS has for many years? WSUSsetup05.png

Now, whenever you check for updates, Windows will access your WSUS server instead of looking over the internet to Microsoft's servers.
    If you want to change it back at an time, simply change the Group Policy setting back to Not Configured.

qubit, Apr 25, 2021
  4. AsRock Win User

Why can't I get Windows Update controls on Windows 10 like WSUS has for many years?

Windows 10 Update

Well just noticed a pretty large one pop up coming in at 914MB, seems it makes some pretty serous updates.

KB3172985
    Cumulative update for Windows 10 Version 1511 and Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 4: July 12, 2016

This security update includes improvements and fixes in the functionality of Windows 10 Version 1511 and Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 4. It also resolves the following vulnerabilities in Windows:

• 3175677 MS16-094: Security update for secure boot: July 12, 2016
    • 3174060 MS16-093: Security update for Adobe Flash Player: July 12, 2016
    • 3171910 MS16-092: Security update for Windows Kernel: July 12, 2016
    • 3170048 MS16-091: Security update for .Net Framework: July 12, 2016
    • 3171481 MS16-090: Security update for Kernel Mode Drivers: July 12, 2016
    • 3170050 MS16-089: Security update for Windows secure kernel mode: July 12, 2016
    • 3170005 MS16-087: Security update for the Microsoft Print Spooler: July 12, 2016
    • 3169999 MS16-085: Cumulative security update for Microsoft Edge: July 12, 2016
    • 3169991 MS16-084: Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer: July 12, 2016

AsRock, Apr 25, 2021
Thema:

Why can't I get Windows Update controls on Windows 10 like WSUS has for many years?

1. Why can't I get Windows Update controls on Windows 10 like WSUS has for many years? - Similar Threads - Why can't Update

2. Windows 10 has failed to update for 2.5 years

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 has failed to update for 2.5 years: I recently discovered that, without any warning or indication of a problem, my Windows 10 PC has tried and failed to update every day since July 2021. This is the only information I'm given when I try to update. There were problems installing some updates, but we'll try again...
  3. Windows 10 has failed to update for 2.5 years

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 has failed to update for 2.5 years: I recently discovered that, without any warning or indication of a problem, my Windows 10 PC has tried and failed to update every day since July 2021. This is the only information I'm given when I try to update. There were problems installing some updates, but we'll try again...
  4. Windows 10 has failed to update for 2.5 years

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. My Windows laptop has been like this for years and I wanna fix it.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Windows laptop has been like this for years and I wanna fix it.: Two years ago my laptop broke and it’s been stuck on a screen saying: “Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:1. Insert your Windows Installation disc and restart your computer.2. Choose your language settings, and...
  6. Why has the Windows Search been like this for years now? Really annoying :/

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why has the Windows Search been like this for years now? Really annoying :/: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/leosch1824 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/u9acio/why_has_the_windows_search_been_like_this_for/
  7. Get better control over Windows Updates with Get WSUS Content .NET

in Windows 10 News
    Get better control over Windows Updates with Get WSUS Content .NET: Get WSUS Content .NET is a free program for Windows that helps administrators gain more control over the updating process. It enables you to search for Windows updates, driver updates and other product updates that Microsoft provides for various client and server versions of...
  8. Windows 10 getting updates not approved in WSUS issue

Windows 10 getting updates not approved in WSUS issue: In our Windows 10 virtual environment we have our desktops currently 20h2 connected to an on-prem WSUS server for updates. We started noticing a lot of issues with the latest KB5005033 august patch where it will install but the post install reboot builds to 98% and then...
  9. Why can't I get Windows Update KB5004945?

Why can't I get Windows Update KB5004945?: I have Windows 10, version 21H1, OS Build 19043.1055 on my desktop. 21H1 Feature Update and Quality Update KB4023057 were installed on June 12, 2021. My Windows Update is configured for automatic updates. During the past three days, I have repeatedly checked my update history...
  10. Why can't Windows update time like Linux?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why can't Windows update time like Linux?: I use an external USB enclosure to run Linux on my PC which has an internal SATA SSD running Windows 10. I switch back-and-forth depending upon what I'm doing. Linux always has the correct time, but Windows always has UTC or something like that, being off by six or whatever...