Windows 10: Why can't I make a recovery drive?

Discus and support Why can't I make a recovery drive? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; The error message snip says it all. What has happened to my PC? It is a legit Win7 + the free update to Win10. I have the Win7 disk. It acts like... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TGeorge111, Dec 11, 2020.

1. Why can't I make a recovery drive?

The error message snip says it all. What has happened to my PC?

It is a legit Win7 + the free update to Win10. I have the Win7 disk. It acts like it will work but then hangs with a few colored dots on the screen.

Anyway, I need recovery. Please help me out.

Terry Why can't I make a recovery drive? e07af7d1-9061-466d-aac2-2696e26cc18d?upload=true.jpg

:)

TGeorge111, Dec 11, 2020
  2. yogurt_21 Win User

Data recovery software

The Big Useful List Of Free Useful Programs To Use Usually For Free

click the top spoiler and then look down to recovery.

All of the suggestions in the old threads were consolidated into that one.

yogurt_21, Dec 11, 2020
  3. topgundcp Win User
    How does Windows boot to advanced recovery option e.g. command prompt?

- that gives me a 454 'Unexpected error' This tells me that the BCD is partially corrupted.

The commands: shutdown.exe /r /o /f /t 00
    or: %SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c reagentc /boottore&shutdown /r /f /t 00
    should boot into Recovery if everything is configured correctly.
    FYI, If Windows is configured correctly:
    1. If Reagentc is disabled, you still can get into Recovery but with limited options.
    2. If Reagentc is enabled, you'll get all options.
    3. If you boot Windows using Recovery USB stick, You'll get into Recovery with couple of options missing.

Here's my suggestion if you want to try:
    OPTION 1: Will save the trouble of re-install Windows.

1. Download the image of my first 3 partitions (450MB Recovery, 100 MB EFI partition, and 16MB unformatted primary)
      EFI_Boot-00-00.7z - Google Drive
    2. Run Macrium and restore the image from step 1, overwriting your existing 1st three partitions, leaving C alone.
    3. Delete the 490MB Recovery partition.
    4. From Macrium, run fix boot problems.
    5. Reboot. Open Admin command prompt then run Reagentc /info to make sure that it is enabled. If not, enable it.
      if failed to enable, reboot and try again.
    OPTION 2: Assuming you've already had Windows backup with Macrium.

1. Wipe out the first 5 parttiions. (450MB, 100MB, 16MB, C Drive, 480MB)
    2. Fresh install Windows 10
    3. Restore C drive from backup image, run fix boot problems
    4. repeat step 5 from OPTION 1 above.

topgundcp, Dec 11, 2020
  4. Why can't I make a recovery drive?

Recovery Drive

Hi,

Thank you for posting your concern. In some cases, this could happen if you created a system restore point on your computer. Windows will use the recovery drive to revert to the previous time where your computer is working properly, or where you created
    it. Please don't attempt to put any files in the recovery drive or the restore process will fail. To give you more suggestion and helpful information, we would like to more about your computer. Please answer the question below:

• Did you make any changes to your computer before this issue occurs?
    • Have you install Windows Update before getting the Recovery drive?
    • Which version of Windows are you using? To check it, follow the steps through this
      link.

In the meantime, you can check the files inside the recovery drive and confirm if there are essential files that you need.

We'll be waiting for your response.

Lemuel Cie, Dec 11, 2020
Thema:

Why can't I make a recovery drive?

1. Why can't I make a recovery drive? - Similar Threads - Why can't recovery

2. Why can't I make a Recovery Drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why can't I make a Recovery Drive?: I',m trying to create a recovery drive and for some reason the system won't let me. It gives no reason or error code. Please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-cant-i-make-a-recovery-drive/c22b54b4-55d5-4c18-b4e4-53127fff026e
  3. Why can't I make a Recovery Drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why can't I make a Recovery Drive?: I',m trying to create a recovery drive and for some reason the system won't let me. It gives no reason or error code. Please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-cant-i-make-a-recovery-drive/c22b54b4-55d5-4c18-b4e4-53127fff026e
  4. Problems with making recovery drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems with making recovery drive: I want to do a recovery drive. The manuals write that I need a 32GB USB drive. But the "Create recovery drive" wizzard, with the option "save system files", asks only for a 16GB USB stick. The problem can not be with the USB stick, because the wizzard asks for the 16GB stick...
  5. Problems with making recovery drive

Problems with making recovery drive: I want to do a recovery drive. The manuals write that I need a 32GB USB drive. But the "Create recovery drive" wizzard, with the option "save system files", asks only for a 16GB USB stick. The problem can not be with the USB stick, because the wizzard asks for the 16GB stick...
  6. Cant make a recovery drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant make a recovery drive: When I go to make a recovery drive it says Some required files are missing and i looked at another support conversation https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-create-a-windows-10-recovery-drive-some/6dd29184-2ddd-48f2-803a-a788cf9345b0and tried \reagentc...
  7. Cant make a recovery drive

Cant make a recovery drive: When I go to make a recovery drive it says Some required files are missing and i looked at another support conversation https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-create-a-windows-10-recovery-drive-some/6dd29184-2ddd-48f2-803a-a788cf9345b0and tried \reagentc...
  8. Why can't I make copies of my files to an external drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why can't I make copies of my files to an external drive?: When I try to make copies of my files to an external drive, the folders get copies but not the files. I also often get the following message:After this message, the computer general freezes. I would welcome any help!...
  9. Why can't I make copies of my files to an external drive?

Why can't I make copies of my files to an external drive?: When I try to make copies of my files to an external drive, the folders get copies but not the files. I also often get the following message:After this message, the computer general freezes. I would welcome any help!...
  10. why I can't make this payment

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    why I can't make this payment: I wanted to purchase an app in the app store but it said they can't process the payment. the code is VXXPqJh3HE6/H5pv.206.1 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-i-cant-make-this-payment/e8aed8a1-59b1-46bb-8021-4c61dceb05ad"