Windows 10: Why can't I move my documents folder from OneDrive?

Discus and support Why can't I move my documents folder from OneDrive? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I just installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 on my laptop. To my surprise, I discovered that Microsoft put my Documents folder in my OneDrive folder.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by HerrickAndrews, Jul 12, 2022.

1. Why can't I move my documents folder from OneDrive?

I just installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 on my laptop. To my surprise, I discovered that Microsoft put my Documents folder in my OneDrive folder. But when I try to move it to the location to match where it's at on my other computers on my network, I get the following error:[Window Title] The folder can't be moved here [Content] Can't move the folder because there is a folder in the same location that can't be redirected. Access is denied. [OK]I've reviewed ALL the other questions/answers that I could find on this same subject and they were no help. "The folder can't be moved here" Acc

:)

HerrickAndrews, Jul 12, 2022

2. Why I have TWO Documents folders?

ok so lemme start off my saying i recently wiped my system and installed windows 10
    and i noticed even more recently that i seem to have TWO documents folders...
    i have one that has nothing that it should in it and the other somehow is linked to Onedrive...
    the onedrive linked one has everything that the non onedrive should. (game saves, etc)
    my question is...why? is this normal cause i can't imagine it is...
    i don't think steam game save cloud will work with onedrive so i need to know, is this fixable WITHOUT another wipe? i have no idea how my onedrive got synced with my documents folder. i didn't set it up that way. any help is appreciated!
    thanks!

TheMatt1984, Jul 12, 2022
  3. Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Jul 12, 2022
  4. Why can't I move my documents folder from OneDrive?

OneDrive app opening Documents folder

Long story short... When I click on my OneDrive app, it opens my Documents folder (folder in 'This PC').

This evening I changed the location of my Documents folder to within OneDrive, and then tried to return it which somehow ended up with 'OneDrive' replacing 'Documents' in the 'This PC' list... I used a .bat file to restore 'Documents to the correct place here, but there still appears to be an issue with Onedrive.

Does anyone have any ideas what I can do to fix this?

Thank you!

LAndersonBurton, Jul 12, 2022
Thema:

Why can't I move my documents folder from OneDrive?

1. Why can't I move my documents folder from OneDrive? - Similar Threads - Why can't move

2. My user folder became Documents folder after I tried moving Documents from OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My user folder became Documents folder after I tried moving Documents from OneDrive: I use two OneDrive accounts: personal and a study one. After getting a new laptop, for some reason, my default Documents folder became the one inside my University OneDrive, which is quite inconvenient. I tried moving the Documents folder from OneDrive to my own user folder....
  3. My user folder became Documents folder after I tried moving Documents from OneDrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My user folder became Documents folder after I tried moving Documents from OneDrive: I use two OneDrive accounts: personal and a study one. After getting a new laptop, for some reason, my default Documents folder became the one inside my University OneDrive, which is quite inconvenient. I tried moving the Documents folder from OneDrive to my own user folder....
  4. Onedrive Documents folder moved

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Onedrive Documents folder moved: Good afternoonHaving purchased a laptop in addition to my desktop setup, I have set it up with access to my onedrive files. During the process the 'Documents' folder moved to become a subfolder of e-mail attachments. Step 1 - panic everything is gone. Step 2 - oh it's still...
  5. Onedrive Documents folder moved

Onedrive Documents folder moved: Good afternoonHaving purchased a laptop in addition to my desktop setup, I have set it up with access to my onedrive files. During the process the 'Documents' folder moved to become a subfolder of e-mail attachments. Step 1 - panic everything is gone. Step 2 - oh it's still...
  6. Why can't I move my documents folder from OneDrive?

Why can't I move my documents folder from OneDrive?: I just installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 on my laptop. To my surprise, I discovered that Microsoft put my Documents folder in my OneDrive folder. But when I try to move it to the location to match where it's at on my other computers on my network, I get the following...
  7. Why can't I move my documents folder from OneDrive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why can't I move my documents folder from OneDrive?: I just installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 on my laptop. To my surprise, I discovered that Microsoft put my Documents folder in my OneDrive folder. But when I try to move it to the location to match where it's at on my other computers on my network, I get the following...
  8. Problems moving Documents & Pictures folders from OneDrive folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Problems moving Documents & Pictures folders from OneDrive folder: Hi. I have a new laptop which I am just setting up to my liking and I didn't want OneDrive. This may have been a mistake but I have cleaned out all the files from the cloud and uninstalled OneDrive from my computer. I have been left with a OneDrive folder in my users/name...
  9. Can't move my Documents folder.

Can't move my Documents folder.: I've been trying to free up some disk space recently and start moving my folders to my D drive. I've already disabled Onedrive so I moved Desktop, Downloads, Music and Videos. When I tried to move Documents and Pictures however, an error message appeared saying: "Can't move...
  10. Move Documents folder from OneDrive to Local

Move Documents folder from OneDrive to Local: I bought a new PC with Windows 10. It is saving all files, including user application files, to Documents in OneDrive. This is a disaster as applications produce trainloads of user files that OneDrive then dutifully attempts to upload. The Documents folder on "This PC" is...