Windows 10: Why can't I open my docs?

Discus and support Why can't I open my docs? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I don't have word or office, I just scan stuff then download it where it needs to go. Now I can't read anything because it goes to word pad and just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by stellysue, Oct 14, 2020.

1. stellysue Win User

Why can't I open my docs?

I don't have word or office, I just scan stuff then download it where it needs to go. Now I can't read anything because it goes to word pad and just get garbage. I have not changed anything because I don't know how, but if I can't read them or upload them I'm in big trouble. Someone please help me.

:)

stellysue, Oct 14, 2020

2. Incopatability with Google Docs

Hi Ba,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I am sorry to know that Google Docs print option not working as expected.

Try with a different browser and check if it works.

It could be a browser or browser's settings issue.

I suggest you to run the Printer Troubleshooter and check if it helps.

• In Search window type Troubleshooting and click on it to open it.

• Click on Hardware and Sound.

• Then click on Printer to run the troubleshooter. Follow onscreen steps.
    Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Oct 14, 2020
  3. mngerhold Win User
    Can I customize the list of suggest apps in the "Open with" menu?

Well, I hope this helps the OP - it took a while. I tried 'Default Program Editor' (DPE) and it did indeed add (or remove) items, but when I tried to specifically add Word to pdf opening, it failed - it went through the motions, but nothing happened. So I started again, playing with settings for opening .doc files. This seemed to work: initially in explorer I had 3 programs appear in the 'default' list that pops up on a rt-click>open-with:

Why can't I open my docs? [​IMG]

and this is what the relevant bit of the Registry showed:

Don't ask me why just 3 of those 8 (a to h) programs show up (maybe the 'instant' list is limited to three? - no, see later) - anyway, I used DPE to remove Wordpad from the list: when saving the edit as a REG file, this is what I got:

Code:
    and the result in Explorer was:

and the registry now shows:

Note how item 'g' from the list has been removed (it seems there is no issue with having a letter missing). I then messed about trying to open a .doc file with various other programs, and they all started to appear in the 'instant' list:

So I thought 'well, that is easy - just open a pdf once in Word and it should appear'. So back to trying to open PDFs: but however many times I tried, Word would never appear.

even though there were any number of entries in the Registry 'Open With' list, including Word:

So what did DPE make of this - well, it showed some of the entries:

Although Word is shown, it doesn't appear on a rt-click. Its entry can be removed, but that doesn't help. So my attention was drawn to the existence of another folder below 'OpenWithList', namely 'OpenWithProgids', and that contained a specific ref to Sumatra (my preferred program for PDFs). Looking back at the same entry for .docx, I found this:

so I added an identical Word.Document.12 ref to the list for PDFs:

I think IrfanView is there as it got added during my experiments! I now get this in Explorer:

Hurrah! I then tried to use DPE to remove the redundant entries, and got this as a .REG file:
    Code:
    But when i merge that with the registry, the IrfanView item does not get deleted:

and as seen in the registry:

so I deleted it by hand, and at last have the entries I (or rather, the OP) want:

Note that my manually added reg entry is of type Binary', as there seems to be no way to add a value of type 'None'.

So it seems that DPE cannot cope with entries in the 'Progids' list, and something makes some programs fall into that list, rather than the 'openwithlist'. I am sorry for any typos above, or pictures in the wrong place - can't be bothered to check it too thoroughly. Hope it helps someone!

atb, Martin

mngerhold, Oct 14, 2020
  4. Brink Win User

Spelling and grammar improvements in Google Docs for G Suite

Source: G Suite Updates Blog: Spelling and grammar improvements in Docs for Enterprise

Brink, Oct 14, 2020
Thema:

1. Why can't I open my docs? - Similar Threads - Why can't open

2. why word docs open as wordpad

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why word docs open as wordpad: when i open a word doc it opens as word appi am unfamiliar with word app and do not wish to use it as i can not see formattinghow can i remove word app and replace with word doc as a defultwhen i search, i cannot even find MS Word as an option on my laptop...
  3. why word docs open as wordpad

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    why word docs open as wordpad: when i open a word doc it opens as word appi am unfamiliar with word app and do not wish to use it as i can not see formattinghow can i remove word app and replace with word doc as a defultwhen i search, i cannot even find MS Word as an option on my laptop...
  4. why word docs open as wordpad

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Why can't I open my pdf's?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why can't I open my pdf's?: Hi There, Shouldn't we be able to open, file and print pdf's easily, even after an update? This is really frustrating as I try to go about my daily work load. Why am I having difficulty sending attachments? Seems like these basic functions should always be protected no...
  6. why i can't open my settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    why i can't open my settings: I have been trying to open my setting but it don't open i click it sevaral time but no response from everywhere i tryed but it don't open please help with this problem...
  7. Can't open a Word Doc.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't open a Word Doc.: Can't open a Word Doc saved less than 24 hours ago. The message I get is file is either deleted or not available at this time. I didn't delete it. HELP! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-open-a-word-doc/6c951d89-266a-4331-853f-4c10aa286679
  8. Why cant I open any Excell or Word Docs in my Outlook?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why cant I open any Excell or Word Docs in my Outlook?: Good day When trying to open any WORD or EXCELL docs in my OUTLOOK I get an error message. "Microsoft Excel cannot open or save any more document because there is not enough available memory or disk space. Please please help. Its month end...
  9. I can't open my emails why

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    I can't open my emails why: why have I been locked out of my accounts. I can't check mail or some other things on here why I have been with you for years and I am tired of having to pay out money I don't have to fix everything and I thought it was all taken care of Rebecca Thurston...
  10. Can't open .pdf docs via Word anymore - why not?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't open .pdf docs via Word anymore - why not?: I just tried opening a .pdf file as I have always done in the past, and couldn't. I now have to 'open with' with Google Docs or Microsoft Edge! What has happened over the past couple of weeks for this to occur? The icons have all been changed to something I can't make...