Windows 10: Why cant I preview video or music with the default media player in the preview pane?

Discus and support Why cant I preview video or music with the default media player in the preview pane? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Why can't I preview video with the default media player? The only media player that allows me to do that in windows is the deprecated Windows Media... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Werner777, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Werner777 Win User

Why cant I preview video or music with the default media player in the preview pane?

Why can't I preview video with the default media player? The only media player that allows me to do that in windows is the deprecated Windows Media Player. Why is the newest default media player supplied by Windows 10 in the newest updates unable to use the preview pane for rich media such as video and audio? Seems like a very lazy move on Microsft's part.

:)

Werner777, Mar 31, 2020

2. Windows 7 Preview Pane

I use the preview pane quite often so I can watch videos without having to launch an application to play them. I do this with mostly with tutorials. Most of the tutorials were in quicktime format; quicktime takes a significant amount of time to open on my system, so I used format factory to change them into MP4's (they will play in the preview pane). Just out of boredom, I installed a new convert, called CoverterLite. Now every single video that I converted causes WMP to crash even inside the preview pane. If I were to change my default media player would that affect to preview pane as well? Or does it require so registry editing?

GoFigureItOut, Mar 31, 2020
  3. Ian Ser Win User
    Windows Media Preview desplays wrong in Folder Preview Pane

Hi J.D.,

There was another user who had the same problem as yours in this
    thread
    . The issue got resolved when the default Media Player was changed to Windows Media Player.

If you are having problems with changing your default Media Player, follow these steps:

• Press the Window Key or click Start.
    • Click Settings.
    • Click System then click Default apps.
    • Under Music player, click Groove Music, and then choose
      Windows Media Player.

You should now be able to play your music in the Preview Pane.

Let us know the results.

Ian Ser, Mar 31, 2020
  4. Eclassbud Win User

Why cant I preview video or music with the default media player in the preview pane?

Video in the preview pane

Aileen,

Thank you so much for your reply.

What I really need to know is how get the video to play in the preview pane. Prior to Windows 10, this worked wonderfully and was an asset. Now, it requires making changes to the Windows registry - not recommended due to the enormous amount of issues with
    Windows 10.

Any other suggestions?

Eclassbud, Mar 31, 2020
Thema:

1. Why cant I preview video or music with the default media player in the preview pane? - Similar Threads - Why cant preview

2. Not seeing previews in preview pane

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not seeing previews in preview pane: The preview pane is still not working after I have followed the instructions. The pane shows "Select a file to preview." but when I click on a file, it is still blank.Is being linked to Dropbox possibly creating the problem of still not seeing the previews?...
  3. Not seeing previews in preview pane

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Not seeing previews in preview pane: The preview pane is still not working after I have followed the instructions. The pane shows "Select a file to preview." but when I click on a file, it is still blank.Is being linked to Dropbox possibly creating the problem of still not seeing the previews?...
  4. Preview pane default

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Preview pane default: HiWhen Default pdf open the PDF can preview with options zoom in and zoom out option in preview mode. But when make Default pdf opening in PDF Xchange editor this option not available and only shows options as Page of Page, Above or below cursor and maximise option.Please let...
  5. Preview pane default

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Preview pane default: HiWhen Default pdf open the PDF can preview with options zoom in and zoom out option in preview mode. But when make Default pdf opening in PDF Xchange editor this option not available and only shows options as Page of Page, Above or below cursor and maximise option.Please let...
  6. Preview pane default

7. Preview pane default

Preview pane default: i was using a program named PDF xchange to view pdf files and also in preview pane where i can zoom the pdf in preview pane itself, after that i installed adobe reader for other purpose but windows file explorer taken it as default for preview pane.now i am unable to zoom the...
  8. video media preview not working on preview pane or on icons.

video media preview not working on preview pane or on icons.: video icons only showing default media player, no preview. preview pane shows same default media player icon. how do I fix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/video-media-preview-not-working-on-preview-pane-or/00bcdf2b-27f7-4e7e-95df-79a91c65c41e
  9. Preview pane

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Preview pane: Another issue is the preview pane on the file explorer. After the update is no longer working. I really don't know what else to do. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/preview-pane/8a221a08-c589-478d-b12b-d6610a30458e
  10. Music and Video Preview apps

Music and Video Preview apps: The links on MS pages don't seem to take you to the correct place. You get what looks like a good link, but pressing the [install] button just starts spinning the wait icon. I had to go to the Store (beta) and search for Preview, then press view all > in the apps list...