Windows 10: Why can't I share files on my LAN?

Discus and support Why can't I share files on my LAN? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have 2 laptops running Windows 10 and a PC running Windows XP on my LAN. I am an administrator and the "owner" of all the files on each machine and,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by rggraham1947, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Why can't I share files on my LAN?

I have 2 laptops running Windows 10 and a PC running Windows XP on my LAN. I am an administrator and the "owner" of all the files on each machine and, as far as I can tell, all files are shared with "full control". I originally had a workgroup on the Windows XP machine and a Windows XP laptop. When I replaced the laptop with a Windows 10 machine and got a 2nd Windows 10 laptop, I added both laptops to the XP workgroup.

Since then the situation is as follows.

At startup:

On the XP machine, I can see the Document folders both Windows 10 machines, although it sometimes takes several minutes to show them, and I can write to them.

After a few minutes, however, I can no longer access them unless I restart the machines. I can't see the workgroup computers. it says:

"The "workgroup" is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. The service has not been started."

On Windows 10 machine A, neither of the other machines are visible.

On Windows 10 machine B, both of the other machines are visible but I can't connect to them.

I know windows networking is notoriously poor but it should be better than this.

:)

rggraham1947, Sep 7, 2018
  2. newtekie1 Win User

Good LAN party games?

Most of my suggestions have already been listed.

However, I found Swat4 to actually be a pretty fun LAN game, especially at smaller LAN parties.

newtekie1, Sep 7, 2018
  3. Ferdz Amp Win User
    Sharing folders over network - access denied

Hello,

To troubleshoot your concern with sharing files over the network using your Windows 10 device, we suggest that you run the Shared folders troubleshooter and check if it helps. Kindly refer to the steps below:

• Type in Troubleshooting in the search box and press
      Enter.
    • Click View all.
    • Click Shared Folders.
    • Click Next and follow on-screen instructions.

Hope it helps.

Ferdz Amp, Sep 7, 2018
  4. Why can't I share files on my LAN?

File Sharing

Hi Dwayne,

The ability to share files within your homegroup can be set based on your preference in the HomeGroup settings. For us to identify if the file sharing issue is caused by the update or an option not being retained in the HomeGroup setting, we'd like to ask
    for additional details. Please answer the following:

• Aside from installing an update, have you also made any recent changes to the HomeGroup settings?
    • What specific update have you installed before the file sharing stopped working? To check the Update history, follow these steps:
    • On the Search bar, type Settings.
    • Open the Settings app from the search result.
    • Click Update & security and check the Windows Update section.
    • Click the Update history link.
    • Have you already checked if the file and printer sharing is enabled in the
      Advanced sharing settings
      in the Control Panel?
    • What build and version of Windows 10 are you using?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried based on the threads that you've read?
    For initial troubleshooting, you can run the built-in troubleshooter for HomeGroup by following the steps below:

• On the Search bar, type Troubleshoot.
    • Open the Control Panel from the search result.
    • Click View all and locate HomeGroup.
    • Click HomeGroup and follow the on-screen guide to run the troubleshooter.
    We hope to hear from you soon.

Jennifer Cha, Sep 7, 2018
Thema:

Why can't I share files on my LAN?

1. Why can't I share files on my LAN? - Similar Threads - Why can't share

2. LAN file sharing too slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    LAN file sharing too slow: The problem is very old i found reports from 10+ years, with hundreds of "copypaste" and generic anwers from microsoft over several websites and this forum, why no one ever cared enough to fix this, or at least tried to look into it?!?!Comparing a large file 20GB...
  3. LAN file sharing too slow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    LAN file sharing too slow: The problem is very old i found reports from 10+ years, with hundreds of "copypaste" and generic anwers from microsoft over several websites and this forum, why no one ever cared enough to fix this, or at least tried to look into it?!?!Comparing a large file 20GB...
  4. LAN file sharing too slow

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. File sharing on LAN suddenly stopped

File sharing on LAN suddenly stopped: My two desktops on the same LAN, connected to the same router, suddenly stopped being able to share files. It was working just a few days ago. Let's day, the desktops are "A" and "B", and the router name is "R" Both pc sees two media devices, Computer "A" and Router "R",...
  6. File sharing over LAN

File sharing over LAN: I am wondering if it is possible to share files over the LAN for specific users on 2 computers in my network? I can't seem to do what I need to do. Anyhow, this is the setup: 2 Windows 10 computers connected by ethernet cables to the same modem / router. (I am at home and...
  7. Internet Connection Sharing works but the shared NIC can't see LAN nor LAN can't see the...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Internet Connection Sharing works but the shared NIC can't see LAN nor LAN can't see the...: Windows 10 Home Hi, My PC has Wireless connection to the Internet and LAN thru a router, and it has 2 Ethernet that are free. I connect my NAS to an Ethernet port on my PC and and I share the internet connection with the Ethernet 2, then I can connect from my PC to the NAS...
  8. (HELP!) Problem with LAN file sharing/transfer

(HELP!) Problem with LAN file sharing/transfer: I have two PC's running Windows 10. One of them is my main computer used for browsing, gaming w/e, and the other one is basically a storage unit where I keep all big files and folders such as a movie collection of about 1.7tb and so on and so forth. Now, both these PC's are...
  9. LAN file sharing

LAN file sharing: I want to file share between my desktop computer, which has an ethernet connection to the router and my laptop which is connected by wifi. The desktop connection is called N***** 6 and the wifi network is called B*********R. The laptop can't "see" the desktop and vice versa....
  10. "Permissions" problems: can't share files on home LAN computers

"Permissions" problems: can't share files on home LAN computers: I've got a LAN in my home/office with 5 machines now running Win 10 and I've not been able to transfer files between them due to "permission problems". These were all running Win 7 and sharing files with no problems but now I'm blocked. I've made every "advanced" change I can...