Windows 10: Why can't I turn off Cortana?

Discus and support Why can't I turn off Cortana? in Cortana to solve the problem; I have no use case for Cortana. I have no interest in Cortana. Cortana is merely a drain on my battery. Cortana also isn't available in all... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Cranky Power User, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Why can't I turn off Cortana?

I have no use case for Cortana. I have no interest in Cortana. Cortana is merely a drain on my battery.

Cortana also isn't available in all locations. It literally makes no sense to me why you won't allow users to just remove it.

:)

Cranky Power User, Nov 7, 2018

2. cortana won`t talk to me

Hi Steven,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

It's unfortunate that you are facing this issue. Let me assist you to resolve the issue.

I appreciate if you could answer few questions to narrow down the issue and to provide you better assistance.

• Check and verify if Cortana is activated?
    • Does Cortana search and gives any output/result on screen?
    • Is the Language and region settings set to valid value?
    • Check and verify if Cortana available in your region?
    Method 1:

I suggest you to try to turn Cortana off and then try turning it on back and check if she talks. Refer to the steps below to turn Off and On Cortana:

• Open Cortana.
    • Click the hamburger button in the top left of the window.
    • Go to Settings and click on off.
    • Follow the same steps to turn it on.
    • Check if issue persists.
    I would suggest you to refer to the article given below and check if that helps.

Cortana & search

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/cortana-search

Hope this information helps, let us know the status of the issue

Rakesh Narayanaswamy, Nov 7, 2018
  3. Turning Cortana Back On

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Community.

We understand your concern and we will provide the assistance required to help you resolve the issue.

Before we proceed, I would like you to provide the information stated below:

• What happens when you try to turn it on?
    • Do you get any error message when your trying to turn it on?
    • Did you make any changes to your computer after you turned Cortana Off?

For now, I would suggest that follow the steps below and check if you are able to start Cortana.

• Go Settings, Time & Language, Speech, Speech, inking, & typing
      privacy settings.
    • Get to know me - turns Cortana on

Hope this helps

Vanessa Sohtun, Nov 7, 2018
  4. Dewdrop_ Win User

Why can't I turn off Cortana?

Cortana Notebook

In order to enable the Notebook icon in Cortana, I suggest you to check if you have enabled Cortana.

To enable Cortana, please follow the steps below:

• Go to Cortana.
    • Go to Settings.
    • Turn on “Cortana can give you suggestions, ideas, reminders, alerts”.

Hope this helps.

Dewdrop_, Nov 7, 2018
Thema:

Why can't I turn off Cortana?

1. Why can't I turn off Cortana? - Similar Threads - Why can't turn

2. Why I can't turn off The Focusing on Windows.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why I can't turn off The Focusing on Windows.: Every time I turn on my laptop running Windows 11 the Focusing will be on and I can't turn it off. Is it something I should worry about? Will it cause any damage?...
  3. Why I can't turn off The Focusing on Windows.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why I can't turn off The Focusing on Windows.: Every time I turn on my laptop running Windows 11 the Focusing will be on and I can't turn it off. Is it something I should worry about? Will it cause any damage?...
  4. Can't turn Cortana on

in Cortana
    Can't turn Cortana on: How can I turn Cortana on in W10 - I get "Sorry but Cortana is not available in English Australia at this time" And no 3 dots https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-turn-cortana-on/623af38d-8c66-4b89-b36a-cdce40d66e4c
  5. Cortana using GPU 3D and I can't turn it off in task manager

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cortana using GPU 3D and I can't turn it off in task manager: Cortana using 3D GPU process and i can't stop it?!! İs Cortana a virus??? the same problem for "Start" and more... [ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]...
  6. Why can't I turn off airplane mode?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why can't I turn off airplane mode?: Why can't I turn off airplane mode? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-cant-i-turn-off-airplane-mode/1234db98-00fb-40cb-8c37-9f79ed3534c5
  7. turn off cortana

in Cortana
    turn off cortana: Since 1903 update moments ago in windows 10 that annoying, useless Cortana is back on. How to turn OFF cortana yet keep the search button/bar. Or, even better yet, how to uninstall version 1903...
  8. Turn off or uninstall Cortana

in Cortana
    Turn off or uninstall Cortana: MS keeps telling me I can't uninstall or permanently disable Cortana - an application I do not need, never asked to install. But even if I tell it to go be quiet and stop trying to interfere in my life, sooner or later it pops up in the middle of working on something,...
  9. turn off cortana

turn off cortana: Just updated to Win10 v14366. How do I turn off Cortana? 53946
  10. Turn off Cortana

Turn off Cortana: I want to turn off Cortana but it is not listed in the Local Group Policy. 104369