Windows 10: Why can't I turn Smartscreen or any other Microsoft Defender settings off?

Discus and support Why can't I turn Smartscreen or any other Microsoft Defender settings off? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I recently wanted to download an application that I have used on prior devices but isn't approved by Microsoft - a 'zine maker' if that helps. I tried... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Connie M. B., Jun 5, 2023.

1. Why can't I turn Smartscreen or any other Microsoft Defender settings off?

I recently wanted to download an application that I have used on prior devices but isn't approved by Microsoft - a 'zine maker' if that helps. I tried to disable Smartscreen so I could get it, but when I tried to turn off 'Smartscreen for Microsoft Edge' it wouldn't let me. No pop up, just blatantly would switch it back on immediately. It did similar things with the other reputation-based settings. How to I change this?

:)

Connie M. B., Jun 5, 2023
  2. crionsynx Win User

Microsoft Defender Smartscreen

Hi COLINGILBERT1,

Sorry to hear you're experiencing this issue. I'm an Independent Advisor and consumer of Microsoft products just like you. Let me help you with your concern.

Microsoft Defender SmartScreen checks downloaded files against a list of reported malicious software sites and known unsafe programs and against list of files that are well known and downloaded by many Windows users. If the file you downloaded is on the malicious
    list or is not commonly downloaded it will show a warning, advising caution. If you believe that the file is not malicious and you trust the source then you can ignore the warning by clicking "Run anyway".

Refer to the below link for the benefits of Microsoft Defender SmartScreen.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/securi...

crionsynx, Jun 5, 2023
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Turn off automatic driver update and SmartScreen causing high disk and memory usage

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand it can be quite frustrating when the computer does not work the way you want it to. I certainly appreciate the steps that you have tried. We can perform a couple of steps and see if we can resolve the issue.​

You can turn off the automatic installation of drivers from the Device installation settings and check if that helps. To turn off automatic installation please follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Type Change Device installation settings
      in the search bar and open it.
    2. Click on No.
    3. Click on Save Changes.

Regarding SmartScreen causing high Disk and Memory usage, you can turn off the SmartScreen from Windows Security and check if that helps. To turn off SmartScreen, please follow the steps mentioned below:

Note: SmartScreen automatically scans applications, files, downloads, and websites, blocking known dangerous content. We recommend leaving SmartScreen enabled, as it provides an additional layer of security that helps to protect the PC.

1. Press and hold Windows + I key on the keyboard.
    2. Click on Update & Security.
    3. Click on Windows Security.
    4. Click on Windows Defender Security Center.
    5. Click on App & browser control.
    6. Select off under Check apps and files, SmartScreen for Microsoft Edge
      and SmartScreen for Microsoft Store apps.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jun 5, 2023
  4. Why can't I turn Smartscreen or any other Microsoft Defender settings off?

Windows Defender SmartScreen won't let me download ANYTHING.

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Please provide some additional information, so that we can assist you better.

1. Which browser you are using to download the application?
    2. What is the complete error message appears on your computer screen when you click on download?

We can try and perform few steps and see if it helps.

Step 1: You can refer the Microsoft article related

Windows Defender SmartScreen
    under the section
    how can I download files reported as unsafe by Windows Defender SmartScreen in Internet Explorer 10 or Microsoft Edge.

Step 2: Try to disable SmartScreen.

1. Press Windows + S on your keyboard.
    2. Click on Internet Options.
    3. When the Internet Properties window opens, go to the
      Security tab and click Custom level.
    4. Locate the Miscellaneous section. Now, locate Use
      SmartScreen Filter option
      and set it to disable. Click OK to save changes.
    5. You can disable SmartScreen by going to the
      advanced tab and unchecking the Enable SmartScreen Filter option. After doing that, click
      Apply and OK to save changes.
    6. Restart your computer to effect the settings.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking ‘Yes or No’.

Harish

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Harish_kum, Jun 5, 2023
Thema:

Why can't I turn Smartscreen or any other Microsoft Defender settings off?

1. Why can't I turn Smartscreen or any other Microsoft Defender settings off? - Similar Threads - Why can't turn

2. Why can't I turn Smartscreen or any other Microsoft Defender settings off?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why can't I turn Smartscreen or any other Microsoft Defender settings off?: I recently wanted to download an application that I have used on prior devices but isn't approved by Microsoft - a 'zine maker' if that helps. I tried to disable Smartscreen so I could get it, but when I tried to turn off 'Smartscreen for Microsoft Edge' it wouldn't let me....
  3. Why can't I turn Smartscreen or any other Microsoft Defender settings off?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why can't I turn Smartscreen or any other Microsoft Defender settings off?: I recently wanted to download an application that I have used on prior devices but isn't approved by Microsoft - a 'zine maker' if that helps. I tried to disable Smartscreen so I could get it, but when I tried to turn off 'Smartscreen for Microsoft Edge' it wouldn't let me....
  4. Microsoft Defender SmartScreen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Defender SmartScreen: Hi,I want to install a program from an unknown publisher on my PC but I can't.When I try to install the same program on another PC I am prompted with the following messageI click More Info and choose INSTALL and the installation is successful.Why am I NOT prompted the same on...
  5. Microsoft Defender SmartScreen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Defender SmartScreen: Hi,I want to install a program from an unknown publisher on my PC but I can't.When I try to install the same program on another PC I am prompted with the following messageI click More Info and choose INSTALL and the installation is successful.Why am I NOT prompted the same on...
  6. Microsoft Defender Smartscreen "Can't Run" *HELP*

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Defender Smartscreen "Can't Run" *HELP*: Hello,I can't download apps because of this microsoft defender smartscreen.. How can I turn it off? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-defender-smartscreen-cant-run-help/95b2bc05-329e-4e23-8455-41a0e7d4a208
  7. Windows Smartscreen Defender turning itself off!?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Smartscreen Defender turning itself off!?: I don't know if i have a extreme weak memory but im pretty sure the option in app & browser control about windows smartscreen defender checking apps and files not recognized by the web was on some moments ago and from nowhere it turned itself off, so i have to go and enable...
  8. why microsoft defender is turned off?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    why microsoft defender is turned off?: I installed Malwarebytes. Can I have defender and malware bytes win 19041.546 167675
  9. why microsoft defender is turned off?

in Windows 10 Support
    why microsoft defender is turned off?: I installed Malwarebytes. Can I have defender and malware bytes win 19041.546 167675
  10. Microsoft Defender Smartscreen

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft Defender Smartscreen: I get this pop up when trying to open an application which I downloaded onto my PC. "Microsoft Defender SmartScreen prevented an unrecognised app from starting. Running this app might put your PC at risk" Then it says "Don't Run" or "Run Anyway" What is the risk if I press...