Windows 10: Why can't I uninstall edge or switch my default browser?

Discus and support Why can't I uninstall edge or switch my default browser? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've tried multiple ways to uninstall this stupid browser including using powershell. It's pissing me off. I've been trying to switch my default... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by chiggerfg, Aug 1, 2020.

1. chiggerfg Win User

Why can't I uninstall edge or switch my default browser?

I've tried multiple ways to uninstall this stupid browser including using powershell. It's pissing me off. I've been trying to switch my default browser over but every time I do, it still takes me to edge. Opening links, searching with the taskbar, it's RETARDED. Why would you even make such a bad browser undeletable? Or make such a bad browser in the first place? It's the slowest browser installed on any laptop I've used and I'd like to be able to use BETTER browsers by default and not have this JUNK installed on my laptop.

:)

chiggerfg, Aug 1, 2020
  2. SteveJB Win User

Can't make Microsoft Edge my default browser in default app settings

I currently have Firefox, IE and Edge installed on my PC. Firefox is set as the default browser. When I go into the default apps setting screen and click to change my default browser, only IE and Firefox are on the list, so I can't select Edge.

However, if I click the "Reset" button to reset all of the default apps, Edge becomes the default browser, but obviously that resets all of my other default apps too, which is a pain. As soon as I choose either IE or Firefox as my default browser, I am unable to select Edge again as it's not on the list, so all I can do is hit "Reset" again.

What's also strange is that if I right-click on a HTML file and choose "open with", Edge doesn't appear anywhere on that list either.

I've tried the system file checker, but it said that everything was fine. With Edge not being something that I can uninstall and reinstall, I don't know how I can go about fixing this.

Anyone got any ideas? Thanks.

SteveJB, Aug 1, 2020
  3. DJSigma Win User
    Can't choose Edge as my default browser

I'm running WIndows 10 Pro - a clean install, with all of the latest patches/updates installed.

When I go into the default app settings, I am not given the option to set Edge as my default browser. The only options I get are Firefox, my current default browser, and Internet Explorer: -

Why can't I uninstall edge or switch my default browser? 69c7bc86-e73f-4851-90c6-610dfa0e9538.jpg

If I hit the "Reset" button to restore the recommended defaults, Microsoft Edge becomes my default browser, but obviously that resets all of the other defaults as well.

Any idea why Edge doesn't show up on the list? Is there any way to add it back to the list?

DJSigma, Aug 1, 2020
  4. DJSigma Win User

Can't choose Edge as my default browser

Yep, I can search for "Edge" and it's the top result, then I can hit Enter to launch it. Everything seems to be working fine, except Edge doesn't show up in the list when I go to change my default browser, so I can't select it, and there doesn't seem to
    be an option in Edge's settings to make it the default either.

DJSigma, Aug 1, 2020
Thema:

1. Why can't I uninstall edge or switch my default browser? - Similar Threads - Why can't uninstall

2. Why can't we Uninstall Microsoft Edge? It's ****!

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why can't we Uninstall Microsoft Edge? It's ****!: Windows suck and I am hating edge and refuse to let it work,I use google!! **** Microsoft **** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-cant-we-uninstall-microsoft-edge-its/95a52979-2592-43d2-ae17-3cd6101959b7
  3. Can't uninstall Lockdown browser

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't uninstall Lockdown browser: I have win 10 version 1909, I needed to download the browser called Lockdown, this was needed for school, taking tests online. Since Lockdown was downloaded, I am having a myriad of problems. First I lost the power buttons to shut down, restart, I have also had the B.S. of...
  4. how do I make Firefox my default browser and not Edge?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    how do I make Firefox my default browser and not Edge?: No matter what I try, I cannot make any other browser my default except for Edge, and I do not want that, and now especially even more because it is denying me!...
  5. why can't I get to the internet on Edge but other browsers are OK?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    why can't I get to the internet on Edge but other browsers are OK?: Only Edge seems to be dead when I try to get to a website. This works fine with Chrome. We can't have that now can we? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-cant-i-get-to-the-internet-on-edge-but-other/9d8bfeac-4066-48e7-8e1d-c1129372f42a
  6. Changing Edge as my default browser!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changing Edge as my default browser!: I am really annoyed: I got a message telling me that Edge would be a faster and more secure search engine; so I opted for it. However I had no idea that it would then stop me using Google Chrome! otherwise I would not have changed from the original. I am very angry to find...
  7. edge browser affected by uninstalling apps

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    edge browser affected by uninstalling apps: The edge browser works great! then a few apps like "my office," Avast," ect, are uninstalled. Microsoft edge now will not load in a timely manner. The edge browser has been reset and continues to lag. This is a specific issue which continues to occur when uninstalling these...
  8. Bug when switching default browser

in Windows 10 Customization
    Bug when switching default browser: Hi all! When switching my default browser from Edge to literally anything else it encourages me not to, stating that Edge is "new, fast, and built for Windows 10". While that statement is arguably at least 66% true (congrats on being more honest than most Microsoft...
  9. Can't make Microsoft Edge my default browser in default app settings

in Browsers and Email
    Can't make Microsoft Edge my default browser in default app settings: I currently have Firefox, IE and Edge installed on my PC. Firefox is set as the default browser. When I go into the default apps setting screen and click to change my default browser, only IE and Firefox are on the list, so I can't select Edge. However, if I click the...
  10. Can't Choose Any Browser To be My Default Browser

in Browsers and Email
    Can't Choose Any Browser To be My Default Browser: Hello Guys After a while of using the new Windows 10 I faced a problem . when any program in the Desktop wonna redirect me to some internet page the system say " How you wonna open this webset ? " . and in normal case it will give the Choose to use any Browser App I have...