Windows 10: Why can't I uninstall edge or switch my default browser?

Discus and support Why can't I uninstall edge or switch my default browser? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've tried multiple ways to uninstall this stupid browser including using powershell. It's pissing me off. I've been trying to switch my default... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by chiggerfg, Aug 1, 2020.

1. chiggerfg Win User

Why can't I uninstall edge or switch my default browser?

I've tried multiple ways to uninstall this stupid browser including using powershell. It's pissing me off. I've been trying to switch my default browser over but every time I do, it still takes me to edge. Opening links, searching with the taskbar, it's RETARDED. Why would you even make such a bad browser undeletable? Or make such a bad browser in the first place? It's the slowest browser installed on any laptop I've used and I'd like to be able to use BETTER browsers by default and not have this JUNK installed on my laptop.

:)

chiggerfg, Aug 1, 2020
  2. SteveJB Win User

Can't make Microsoft Edge my default browser in default app settings

I currently have Firefox, IE and Edge installed on my PC. Firefox is set as the default browser. When I go into the default apps setting screen and click to change my default browser, only IE and Firefox are on the list, so I can't select Edge.

However, if I click the "Reset" button to reset all of the default apps, Edge becomes the default browser, but obviously that resets all of my other default apps too, which is a pain. As soon as I choose either IE or Firefox as my default browser, I am unable to select Edge again as it's not on the list, so all I can do is hit "Reset" again.

What's also strange is that if I right-click on a HTML file and choose "open with", Edge doesn't appear anywhere on that list either.

I've tried the system file checker, but it said that everything was fine. With Edge not being something that I can uninstall and reinstall, I don't know how I can go about fixing this.

Anyone got any ideas? Thanks.

SteveJB, Aug 1, 2020
  3. DJSigma Win User
    Can't choose Edge as my default browser

I'm running WIndows 10 Pro - a clean install, with all of the latest patches/updates installed.

When I go into the default app settings, I am not given the option to set Edge as my default browser. The only options I get are Firefox, my current default browser, and Internet Explorer: -

Why can't I uninstall edge or switch my default browser? 69c7bc86-e73f-4851-90c6-610dfa0e9538.jpg

If I hit the "Reset" button to restore the recommended defaults, Microsoft Edge becomes my default browser, but obviously that resets all of the other defaults as well.

Any idea why Edge doesn't show up on the list? Is there any way to add it back to the list?

DJSigma, Aug 1, 2020
  4. DJSigma Win User

Can't choose Edge as my default browser

Yep, I can search for "Edge" and it's the top result, then I can hit Enter to launch it. Everything seems to be working fine, except Edge doesn't show up in the list when I go to change my default browser, so I can't select it, and there doesn't seem to
    be an option in Edge's settings to make it the default either.

DJSigma, Aug 1, 2020
Thema:

1. Why can't I uninstall edge or switch my default browser? - Similar Threads - Why can't uninstall

2. I'm confused. Why can't I switch mail default?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I'm confused. Why can't I switch mail default?: OK, I want to change my default mail app on my PC and my browser. But I'm confused. When I do to Settings. It doesn't give me the option to set Gmail as my default, and there are several Mail options. It's very confusing. I had tried to use Outlook, but Outlook won't receive...
  3. I'm confused. Why can't I switch mail default?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I'm confused. Why can't I switch mail default?: OK, I want to change my default mail app on my PC and my browser. But I'm confused. When I do to Settings. It doesn't give me the option to set Gmail as my default, and there are several Mail options. It's very confusing. I had tried to use Outlook, but Outlook won't receive...
  4. Don't want Edge as my default browser

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Don't want Edge as my default browser: Why does Microsoft keep asking me to make "Edge" the default browser & if I want to try the latest version? Despite using another browser as my default & turning off the setting for it to continue asking me if I'd like to try it, I'm still asked every time I open Microsoft....
  5. Why can't I make chrome my default browser?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why can't I make chrome my default browser?: When I go Setting > Default Apps > web browser then click on it only microsoft edge and opera pop up. Do I need to reinstall chrome? Am I being an idiot? please help. submitted by /u/puffydefish [link] [comments]...
  6. Can't change my default browser

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't change my default browser: I've recently been attacked by a malware/virus. After that, a lot of things stopped working. My Opera GX browser ceased to open even after reinstalling, so I deleted. I can still use chrome and microsoft edge, so that problem was solved. The main problem right now is I can't...
  7. Microsoft Edge replaced my default Browser

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Microsoft Edge replaced my default Browser: The last update PUSHED Edge onto a number of our employee's taskbars. And, that is not the worst part. In some cases, even though other browsers were being used by an individual, when I tried to revert the workstation's default browser under default apps, the original...
  8. Why can't we Uninstall Microsoft Edge? It's ****!

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why can't we Uninstall Microsoft Edge? It's ****!: Windows suck and I am hating edge and refuse to let it work,I use google!! **** Microsoft **** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-cant-we-uninstall-microsoft-edge-its/95a52979-2592-43d2-ae17-3cd6101959b7
  9. Changing Edge as my default browser!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changing Edge as my default browser!: I am really annoyed: I got a message telling me that Edge would be a faster and more secure search engine; so I opted for it. However I had no idea that it would then stop me using Google Chrome! otherwise I would not have changed from the original. I am very angry to find...
  10. Can't make Microsoft Edge my default browser in default app settings

in Browsers and Email
    Can't make Microsoft Edge my default browser in default app settings: I currently have Firefox, IE and Edge installed on my PC. Firefox is set as the default browser. When I go into the default apps setting screen and click to change my default browser, only IE and Firefox are on the list, so I can't select Edge. However, if I click the...