Windows 10: Why can't I update Windows 10?

Discus and support Why can't I update Windows 10? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hey there! I'm unable to update Windows on my Lenovo laptop since 2 months now. I'm currently stuck on Windows 10 version 1909. When I tried... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Shaunak_P, Dec 25, 2020.

1. Shaunak_P Win User

Why can't I update Windows 10?

Hey there!

I'm unable to update Windows on my Lenovo laptop since 2 months now. I'm currently stuck on Windows 10 version 1909. When I tried troubleshooting, it didn't detect any problems, although when I used 'Get Help', these were the commands I was told to run:

Important

You need to run both the DISM and SFC commands shown below, not just one of them, and you need to run DISM first and SFC second.

Open an elevated command prompt. Right-click Start, and then select **Command Prompt Admin.**If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow or Yes.

Type the following command, and then press Enter.

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Note It might take several minutes for the command operation to be completed.

Type the following command and press Enter.

sfc /scannow

Note It might take several minutes for the command operation to be completed.

Close the command prompt, and then run Windows Update again.

When I ran these commands, I couldn't complete the first command as it didn't find certain files. From what I've read on the internet, I'm guessing that my Windows 10 system files may have been corrupted due to some reason. Will a 'Fresh Start' from the 'Settings' solve this issue?

PS: My Lenovo laptop is of the following series -> Ideapad Slim 3; in case it helps. And I do have my Windows 10 product key although it came pre-installed, I extracted it by running the following command in Command Prompt -> wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey so, if needed, I can use it hopefully.

:)

Shaunak_P, Dec 25, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Dec 25, 2020
  3. AsRock Win User
    Windows 10 Update

Well just noticed a pretty large one pop up coming in at 914MB, seems it makes some pretty serous updates.

KB3172985
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172985

This security update includes improvements and fixes in the functionality of Windows 10 Version 1511 and Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 4. It also resolves the following vulnerabilities in Windows:

• 3175677 MS16-094: Security update for secure boot: July 12, 2016
    • 3174060 MS16-093: Security update for Adobe Flash Player: July 12, 2016
    • 3171910 MS16-092: Security update for Windows Kernel: July 12, 2016
    • 3170048 MS16-091: Security update for .Net Framework: July 12, 2016
    • 3171481 MS16-090: Security update for Kernel Mode Drivers: July 12, 2016
    • 3170050 MS16-089: Security update for Windows secure kernel mode: July 12, 2016
    • 3170005 MS16-087: Security update for the Microsoft Print Spooler: July 12, 2016
    • 3169999 MS16-085: Cumulative security update for Microsoft Edge: July 12, 2016
    • 3169991 MS16-084: Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer: July 12, 2016

AsRock, Dec 25, 2020
  4. Monk.e83 Win User

Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers Windows 7 & 8 (With Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive)

DTS supported natively by Windows 8/8.1 and it should work on windows 10 too just DDL require to unlock your driver .

Monk.e83, Dec 25, 2020
Thema:

1. Why can't I update Windows 10? - Similar Threads - Why can't update

2. Why can't I update?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why can't I update?: I need your help if you can tell me what this error is and how to fix it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-cant-i-update/9711093c-4c71-4611-8989-bc366141017a
  3. Why can't I update?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why can't I update?: I need your help if you can tell me what this error is and how to fix it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-cant-i-update/9711093c-4c71-4611-8989-bc366141017a
  4. Why can't I update?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Why can't I update windows?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why can't I update windows?: So I have been trying to play valorant for some time now, but something isn't allowing me to play, and I have been noticing that I can't update windows in settings. Whenever I press the check for updates button, it says "We couldn't connect to the update service. We'll try...
  6. Why can't I update windows?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why can't I update windows?: So I have been trying to play valorant for some time now, but something isn't allowing me to play, and I have been noticing that I can't update windows in settings. Whenever I press the check for updates button, it says "We couldn't connect to the update service. We'll try...
  7. Why can't I update windows?

8. Why can't I update Windows?

Why can't I update Windows?: Every time I attempt to update Windows, it keeps showing me the same error message. How can I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-cant-i-update-windows/79e10af4-b145-480d-bac4-881406744bdd
  9. Why can't I update to the latest Windows 10?

Why can't I update to the latest Windows 10?: Hi All, In the settings > Windows Update window, I see this message: "You're currently running a version of Windows that's nearing the end of support. We recommend you update to the most recent version of Windows 10 now to get the latest features and security...
  10. Postponing or scheduling windows 10 updates.. Why can't I?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Postponing or scheduling windows 10 updates.. Why can't I?: I have googled and looked through multiple answers online, all of which have completely different system panels for updates. These are a few of the update answers I've looked at that are 100% useless to me because they don't match what I have (so you don't post these as...