Windows 10: Why can't .MP4 videos be viewed w/o first downloading?

Discus and support Why can't .MP4 videos be viewed w/o first downloading? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; MP4 idiosyncracies have been discussed many times, but I still haven't found a resolution to the problem that always necessitates downloading them... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Old Fixer, Apr 27, 2019.

1. Old Fixer Win User

Why can't .MP4 videos be viewed w/o first downloading?

MP4 idiosyncracies have been discussed many times, but I still haven't found a resolution to the problem that always necessitates downloading them before they can be viewed. I use VLC as the default video player and have installed the latest K-Lite codecs different times w/o any change. This most often presents with video clips received attached to emails (Gmail). In older versions of windows and on Android devices they open for viewing directly.

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 1803 (OS Build 17134.706, with all my programs on auto-update

:)

Old Fixer, Apr 27, 2019

2. MP4 Personal Video files lag after August 2016 update (windows 10)

Hi Nicki,

Do not worry we will help you with this issue.

Try few of the troubleshooting steps below and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to run Video playback troubleshooter and check

• Press Windows key from the keyboard, type
      Troubleshooting and select it.
    • Click on view all option on the upper left corner of
      Troubleshooting window.
    • Select the Video playback options from the list.
    • Click Next to run the troubleshooter.

Step 2: I suggest you to copy the files from your computer to another working computer and check if you are able to access them.

This will let us know if the issue is with specific files types on your computer.

Hope it helps. Update of the status of accessing MP4 Personal Video files for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Apr 27, 2019
  3. Unable to view or download videos from websites

Hi Nelson,

Thank you for posting your question in Microsoft Community. We are glad to assist you.

To help you suggest steps to resolve the issue, I would appreciate if you could answer the following questions:

• Did you make any specific hardware or software changes prior to this issue?
    • Is the issue specific to a particular website?
    Internet Explorer 11 comes with the latest version of flash player pre-installed. So, the issue may rest with the particular page having compatibility issues with the Internet Explorer or there may be an issue with the flash
    player configuration settings in Internet Explorer. Hence, I would suggest you to try the following diagnostic steps to get started in the correct direction and check if the issue persists:

Method 1:

I would suggest you to try opening the page in the compatibility view and check if you are able to view the video.

Fix site display problems with Compatibility View

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/internet-explorer/use-compatibility-view#ie=ie-11If Method 1 does not resolve the issue, proceed to Method 2.

Method 2:

Try the additional steps provided in the following link.

Why won't videos play in Internet Explorer?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/internet-explorer/videos-dont-work#ie=ie-11

Note: The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might reset security settings or privacy settings that you added to the list of Trusted Sites. The Reset Internet Explorer
    Settings feature might also reset parental control settings. We recommend that you note these sites before you use the Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature. Resetting Internet Explorer isn't reversible, and all previous settings are lost after reset.

Method 3:

As slightly mentioned in the Method 2, make sure that the necessary add-ons are enabled in Internet Explorer. To do this, follow these steps:

• Open Internet Explorer.
    • Tap or click the Tools button
    • In the Currently loaded add-ons list, click Run without Permissions.
    • Look for the following add-ons in the list that's displayed. If any of these add-ons are listed, make sure the Status for each is listed as Enabled.
    • Shockwave Active X Control
    • Shockwave Flash Object
    • Java Plug-in (may be multiple add-ons)
    • QuickTime Plug-in (may be multiple add-ons)
    • Windows Media Player
    Having done the above steps, check if the websites are functioning properly.

Hope this information is helpful. If the issue still persists, please post back for further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Anupkarkal1709, Apr 27, 2019
  4. Gumag Win User

I can't view mp4 videos on my Nokia asha 306

I used to view mp4 videos on my Nokia asha 305/306 with the software that came with it when it was new but when i updated it to v.7.42 it can't play mp4 videos i hope Nokia will do something about the update software coming up to let us view mp4 videos

Gumag, Apr 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Why can't .MP4 videos be viewed w/o first downloading? - Similar Threads - Why can't MP4

2. Can't download video from Dropbox

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't download video from Dropbox: I recorded some videos on a Samsung tablet for a university project. I uploaded the videos to Dropbox to free up space on the tablet. I now need to download the videos to edit them. When I try to download them to my laptop I keep getting a message to say that they cannot be...
  3. Problem with exprting video in MP4 format

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Problem with exprting video in MP4 format: I had purchased the app day before yesterday and had been trying to export a video created in MP4 format since than however, been unsuccessful so far. Noticed that the file creation does start in the folder but the file disappears after the process completes. I have 100s of...
  4. Sharing Issues w/o HomeGroup...

Sharing Issues w/o HomeGroup...: Ever since the beginning of this year when MS removed the HomeGroup function, I've had a terrible time with file sharing on my home network. I am running one central Win10 desktop with two Win10 laptops in a home wifi environment that is stable and fast. All machines are...
  5. Video viewing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Video viewing: When I view a video the picture zooms in to a part of the screen and therefore I cannot see the entire picture. How do I correct? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/video-viewing/966a66de-6b62-45f7-b04a-f615001fd1fa
  6. Can't view videos on facebook

in Browsers and Email
    Can't view videos on facebook: I can view videos on youtube perfectly fine. However, when I try to view a video on facebook it tells me I need to install Adobe Flash Player. When I click on "Install Adobe" it redirects me to a page that says I already have windows 10 and flash player is integrated into...
  7. Mp4 video unable to play

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mp4 video unable to play: Hi, everyone. I got a video mp4 unable to play or cannot render this file when i am play with windows media player. I have tried to repair the video with Stella Phoenix video repair. But its same. [img] [img] [img] This video still have the file size, but it just...
  8. Reinstall Calendar w/o a Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reinstall Calendar w/o a Microsoft account: First off, thanks in advance for any help offered. My new ASUS laptop came with Windows 10, so this is not an upgrade install, but an OEM purchase, and therefore not a pre-release build. My problem is this: I accidentally uninstalled the Mail/Calendar app that comes with...
  9. Possible to share a Library w/o homegroup?

Possible to share a Library w/o homegroup?: Finally found a use for a library. Can create it locally, but there's no share context. Can not use homegroup. Is shared/public library even possible? 24918
  10. Possible to wake PC w/o Magic Packet...w/o unwanted wakes?

in Windows 10 Support
    Possible to wake PC w/o Magic Packet...w/o unwanted wakes?: Setting up a Win 10 PC for shares, videos, which will be used lightly. I would like to have it sleep, and not have to do a separate operation to wake it with a magic packet before accessing. Is this possible? Any suggestions appreciated. 37517