Windows 10: Why cant the File Search function search for files using partial names?

Discus and support Why cant the File Search function search for files using partial names? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Something that has plagued me since I began using Windows 10 is how awful the file search function is. In EVERY case I use the file search function... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BrianCAllen, Aug 11, 2020.

1. Why cant the File Search function search for files using partial names?

Something that has plagued me since I began using Windows 10 is how awful the file search function is.

In EVERY case I use the file search function it is to locate a specific file within a singular folder with only a partial name, and each time I was mystified as to why it works so unreliably.

The final straw was when I tried to quickly locate a single file within a folder of 5 files with the second word in the file name of my desired file and it came up empty handed. My issue lies with the inability of the search function to pick out words within names that dont have spaces between them.

For instance, if my file name was "HotDog.png", I would be unable to search for that file with the secondary word. Searching for "Dog" will skip this file.

I have to ask the question: Why cant the File Search function search for files using partial names?What purpose does a search function even serve if you have to be 100% correct with the file name you're looking for? And why is there no option to allow for partial name searches?

I get that if a user decided to search their entire computer for a file called "r" and it allowed for partial names in searches it would begin trying to pull every file with an r in the name. But searching for a file within a user made folder should ALWAYS account for partial name searchs!

Thanks,

Brian

:)

BrianCAllen, Aug 11, 2020
  2. OldW7Guy Win User

File Explorer Search fails wildcard partial numeric name search.

The indexing trouble shooter did not find any problem.
    System File Check result was: Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
    Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool Version: 10.0.10586.0 found No component store corruption detected.

I do not believe that my system has any problem as the wildcard partial numeric name search issue occurs on all Windows 10 systems of family and friends.
    I believe the priority of this issue should be raised because the Search Results vary depending on the number of files involved creating confusion and incorrect results. With less than 40 files the wildcard partial numeric name search returns the correct
    results. With more than 50 files the wildcard search becomes a whole number search only listing files that have the exact number. With *2345 in the search box and more than 50 files in focus, Search will Not list 123456.txt but will only list 2345.txt.
    With less than 40 files in focus All files with any numeric string containing 2345 will be listed.

OldW7Guy, Aug 11, 2020
  3. OldW7Guy Win User
    File Explorer Search fails wildcard partial numeric name search.

Wildcard Searches in a single folder that has less than 50 empty files with 10 character filenames and that does not have any subfolders work as expected. More characters in the filename will cause the Search to fail with fewer files. With fewer characters
    the Search will not fail until more than 50 files exist.

If subfolders exist then their contents affect Search failure. In testing I created a new folder and used “New Text Document” to create files with numeric names like: 1234567890.txt, 2345678901.txt etc. Using *2345 in the Search box every 10 or so files added,
    worked as expected listing all files that had 2345 as part of the name, but after the 50th file was added the Search results showed only files that started with 2345. These results continued with shorter searches like: *3 should have listed all 50 files but
    instead only listed files that started with the number 3.

I have rebuilt the Indexing Options many times including selecting only the test folder, which had no affect at all.

My actual filenames are quite long, all start with alpha acronyms or abbreviations followed by a dash, model and part number. There are over a thousand files in 8 sub folders. My real Searches are for a partial model number. This problem has cost me many
    hours of research and recreating what I thought were missing drawings and documents.

OldW7Guy, Aug 11, 2020
  4. sillycat2 Win User

Why cant the File Search function search for files using partial names?

can not use search function with partial matched letter or word not from the beginning of a file name using quick access function in file explorer in windows 10

Hi:

I have a problem in searching for a file when I typing in numbers or letters that partially match to a file name using quick access function in file explorer in my windows 10 computer. To be specific, if I type in letters or words that are partially match
    a file name but not from the beginning of a file name, the search is failed, can not pick up the file, only when i type in letters or words that match the beginning of a file name, the search works. Do you know how to fix this? I can do the same search when
    using window 7 or 8, but not for windows 10. Thank you very much!

sillycat2, Aug 11, 2020
Thema:

Why cant the File Search function search for files using partial names?

1. Why cant the File Search function search for files using partial names? - Similar Threads - Why cant File

2. Windows 11 Pro, 23H2, Using File Explorer Search Function trying to search file with the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Pro, 23H2, Using File Explorer Search Function trying to search file with the...: Windows 11 Pro, 23H2, Using File Explorer Search Function. I have several thousand text type files all of them contain some number in the file name. I am trying to search of any file with the specific digits 0004 in the file name. The search finds files with 0004 in the name...
  3. why does the search function not find tagged files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why does the search function not find tagged files?: in explorer i use the tag function under file properties. however the search function in explorer fails to find the tagged files. this problem has only newly arisen - worked fine before a few days ago....
  4. why does the search function not find tagged files?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    why does the search function not find tagged files?: in explorer i use the tag function under file properties. however the search function in explorer fails to find the tagged files. this problem has only newly arisen - worked fine before a few days ago....
  5. Search using file name box in the "Open file" window

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Search using file name box in the "Open file" window: OK, so let's see if I can explain this clearly.I'm using PDF Annotator on a Surface Pro 7 / Windows 10 Home. In the app, if I click the Open File icon I get the what looks like the system file explorer window pop up. If I have the physical keyboard attached and I start...
  6. Odd functionality of searching for files

in Windows 10 Customization
    Odd functionality of searching for files: This is a bit of an obscure issue, and I hope I can explain it well enough to get some help. When a website or app has the option to add a file, it opens a file explorer window. In the top right of this window is a search box. As you type a file name in that search box, a...
  7. Searching for files names with numbers

Searching for files names with numbers: HI, I have recently upgraded to windows 10 and new laptop. All of my invoices are named after the invoice number, for example 2020-5075 but after upgrading to the new laptop, I can't search with numbers. I see the file but it says "no items match you search" but I can see...
  8. Search for file by substrings in file name

Search for file by substrings in file name: Say that I am looking for a file named Bernie_1234.ext If I use 1234 as the search string, the file is found. If I use 234 as the search string, nothing is found. If I use Ber as the search string, the file is found. If I use ernie as the search string, nothing is...
  9. Search file names question!

in Windows 10 Support
    Search file names question!: Hello! Currently, when I search within folders, it only searches the beginning of the file names. Is there a way to search within the file names? Like you can when you press ctrl + f in a body of text. Thank you!! 51660
  10. How to search a file by its partial name?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to search a file by its partial name?: Hi, I have a file named IMG_20151218_0001.pdf. How can search it when I only remember it has 1218 as a part of the file name? Thanks. I tried some of the searches and the result is empty, such as filename:"*1218*", *1218*, and "*1218*". Thank you. 34322