Windows 10: Why can't the media creation tool check for admin on startup

Discus and support Why can't the media creation tool check for admin on startup in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I normally login as a non admin user. When I use the media creation tool, it asks for admin rights so I grant that. Then it chugs away for almost 3... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by PUCCUP, Mar 8, 2020.

1. PUCCUP Win User

Why can't the media creation tool check for admin on startup

I normally login as a non admin user. When I use the media creation tool, it asks for admin rights so I grant that. Then it chugs away for almost 3 minutes and goes through a series of questions which get answered. I am just creating an image on a USB stick. Then it says that you have to be logged in as an admin user. There are three questions

1 Why does it require the user to be logged in as an admin user to download a program and write to a memory stick which can be used on any computer?

2 It is making the memory stick bootable but why do you have to be an admin user to do that? I can make a floppy bootable without being admin; why can't I make a memory stick bootable without being admin?

3 Why can't it check whether the user has been logged in as an admin user before asking all the questions? If it knows right at the very end that the user is not admin, then surely, it can do the same check at the start before asking all the questions.

It is really annoying to have to answer the same set of questions twice.

:)

PUCCUP, Mar 8, 2020

2. Media creation tool

Hi,

We would like to know more about this concern. Kindly answer the following:

• Any changes made on the computer prior to this concern?
    • Is this the first time that you encountered this problem?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
    • May we know the reason why you want to download Media Creation Tool?

Desiree Yau, Mar 8, 2020
  3. MEDIA CREATION TOOL

Hi Sammy,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

Sorry to know that you are facing this issue.

I suggest you to refer to this article and check the status.

Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool: Windows 10 herunterladen

Keep us informed to help you further.

Srimadhwa B, Mar 8, 2020
  4. Why can't the media creation tool check for admin on startup

Windows 10 Media Creation Tool error

Thanks for getting back to us. I suggest that you perform clean boot on your PC, and then try to use the Media Creation Tool to check if it is related to any software conflicts that may arise the issue. Follow these steps for instructions:

• From Start, search for msconfig.
    • Select System Configuration from the search results.
    • On the Services tab of the System Configuration dialog box, click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all.
    • On the Startup tab of the System Configuration dialog box, click Open Task Manager.
    • On the Startup tab in Task Manager, for each startup item, select the item and then click Disable.
    • Close Task Manager.
    • On the Startup tab of the System Configuration dialog box, click OK, and then restart the computer.

Note: After the troubleshooting, boot your computer in normal mode by checking this link and
    look for How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting.

We'll keep an eye out for your response.

Antoneth Ber, Mar 8, 2020
Thema:

Why can't the media creation tool check for admin on startup

1. Why can't the media creation tool check for admin on startup - Similar Threads - Why can't media

2. Why is the Media Creation Tool not working?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is the Media Creation Tool not working?: I'm on Windows 7 and i'm trying to go to windows 10 but when i open the file it says "We're unable to run this tool on your PC." PLS help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-the-media-creation-tool-not-working/a5299b35-3ced-4475-b830-8fe78c33708e
  3. Why is the Media Creation Tool not working?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is the Media Creation Tool not working?: I'm on Windows 7 and i'm trying to go to windows 10 but when i open the file it says "We're unable to run this tool on your PC." PLS help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-the-media-creation-tool-not-working/a5299b35-3ced-4475-b830-8fe78c33708e
  4. Why is the Media Creation Tool not working?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. media creation tool

in Windows 10 Gaming
    media creation tool: how do i fix media creation tool it keeps crashing when i open it without any error https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/media-creation-tool/3740294e-2b85-48de-a678-e7f03ee46369
  6. Media Creation Tool

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Media Creation Tool: I'm having an issue with the media creation tool where it won't install or even give me a list of usb drives at all. Even if I tried running it from inside the usb flash drive it still says the same thing "you need 8 gb of available space on Windows :C". I'm having this issue...
  7. Media creation tool

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Media creation tool: I figured out what the tool was, and I didn't like it. You made it sound sooooooo exiting in the license terms, but when I found out what it really was, I was not impressed. Way to go Microsoft. Way to go. You ripped me off of thinking it was something cool, but instead you...
  8. Media creation tool.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Media creation tool.: Yes, I have successfully downloaded the tool and Windows 10. All I did was click on a link that someone posted and BAM the media creation tool and Windows 10 were downloaded! Thanks! *^^*...
  9. Media creation tool

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Media creation tool: So i know i can use this tool to update my pc to latest but will i keep all my settings and preferences? Havent updated my pc in 3 years so figured this is a better way to do it. submitted by /u/AwesomePicMan [link] [comments]...
  10. Media creation tool stuck at checking for updates

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Media creation tool stuck at checking for updates: I have a friend who has a Windows seven laptop and he is now downloading windows 10. The thing is it has been stuck on "Checking For Updates" for a while. (a few hours) Is this normal? submitted by /u/spencer654322 [link] [comments]...