Windows 10: Why can't Windows make up its mind about disk space?

Discus and support Why can't Windows make up its mind about disk space? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Right, I am trying factory reset my laptop, Windows 10 operating system. Due to the full disk, I'm unable to do this until I free up some space -... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ToddGilbey1, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Why can't Windows make up its mind about disk space?

Right, I am trying factory reset my laptop, Windows 10 operating system.

Due to the full disk, I'm unable to do this until I free up some space - fair enough - I uninstall come programmes on the C drive via the "Add/Remove" feature in Windows.

Now, whenever I look in the C drive, it cant make up its mind as to the amount of space there is on the disk, it goes from red, to green and then back to red again. It's making me really angry - I've never had this issue before. It then tells me "There was a problem resetting your system" - that was it, no helpful information whatsoever, just "There was a problem..."

Can someone please explain to me why Windows are making this so hard all of a sudden - I really don't have time to faff around with software that's behaving like a misbehaving child?!

Thank you

:)

ToddGilbey1, Mar 26, 2020

2. My disk space is gone

Hi John,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I do appreciate your efforts and time.

Try to run theSystem Maintenance Troubleshooter.

• Press Windows key + W and type
      Troubleshooting.

• Select Troubleshooting.

• Select view all on the top left corner.

• Click System Maintenance,
      follow onscreen instructions.
    I suggest you to run Check Disk which performs an analysis of the disk. Refer to the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Click on Command prompt (Admin).
    • Type chkdsk /f and hit enter.
    For reference:

Tips to free up drive space on your PC:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/free-up-disk-space

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Mar 26, 2020
  3. Joan Pin Win User
    disk space reduced after media creation tool

Hi Sarah,

One of the possible reasons why your disk space was reduced is due to an unallocated disk space on your partitions. For us to isolate your concern, we suggest that you check your device's partition. To do this, follow the steps provided below:

• Type Computer Management on Ask me anything and press
      Enter.
    • Select Storage and click on Disk Management.
    • Send us a screenshot.
    We look forward to your response.

Joan Pin, Mar 26, 2020
  4. Why can't Windows make up its mind about disk space?

Low Disk Space error

Hi,

I suggest you to delete the unwanted applications or games installed on the device and also perform a Disk Cleanup.

In order to delete the games or applications, which has been downloaded from the Windows Store you need to right click on the game and select
    Uninstall option from the Start menu.

If the games that you are downloaded are .exe or the applications which are not downloaded from the Windows Store, you may try deleting it from the Control panel.

To do so, please follow the below steps.

• Right Click on Start Menu.
    • Open Control Panel.
    • Click Programs.
    • Click Programs and Features.
    • Click on the programs that you would like to uninstall.
    I suggest you to try the steps in the following article to free up space and check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/free-up-drive-space

Also, refer to the Wiki Article created by
    Andre Da Costa
    from the below link:

How to free up disk space in Windows

How to free up disk space in Windows

Hope it helps. Revert to us with the results, will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Mohan Babu ER, Mar 26, 2020
Thema:

Why can't Windows make up its mind about disk space?

1. Why can't Windows make up its mind about disk space? - Similar Threads - Why can't mind

2. Disk is full, make space...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk is full, make space...: I have used all of the suggestions given by Microsoft on my computer. Cleaned disk or all temporary files and personal files. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-is-full-make-space/bf6dcf85-7b24-4030-b811-f27ceb16dae4
  3. Disk is full, make space...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk is full, make space...: I have used all of the suggestions given by Microsoft on my computer. Cleaned disk or all temporary files and personal files. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-is-full-make-space/bf6dcf85-7b24-4030-b811-f27ceb16dae4
  4. Disk is full, make space...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Taskbar is losting its mind

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar is losting its mind: My taskbar is always stuck don't hide anymore after I show hidden icons. And I have "Auto-hide taskbar" enabled. The problem happened after I updated to Beta Review 22623.875 ni_release.I can't send the video has my problem ;-;...
  6. Taskbar is losting its mind

Taskbar is losting its mind: My taskbar is always stuck don't hide anymore after I show hidden icons. And I have "Auto-hide taskbar" enabled. The problem happened after I updated to Beta Review 22623.875 ni_release.I can't send the video has my problem ;-;...
  7. Mind of its own

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mind of its own: I put my new windows 11 pc to sleep and at any given time I look, the power light is back on. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mind-of-its-own/9aaf5980-12b7-4994-8c3f-51e078bfdf1f
  8. Mind of its own

Mind of its own: I put my new windows 11 pc to sleep and at any given time I look, the power light is back on. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mind-of-its-own/9aaf5980-12b7-4994-8c3f-51e078bfdf1f
  9. Question about disk space

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about disk space: I was notified that I'm running out of disk space, so I went to settings to clear it up. "Apps and features" is taking up 770 GB. I only have a few games installed on steam and a couple video and photo editing apps so how is this possible? I clicked on it and sorted by size...
  10. Windows Has A Mind Of Its Own

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Has A Mind Of Its Own: My PC has suddenly started doing wierd things. The cursor moves all over the screen on its own. Open panes get minimised, new panes get opened. Spreadheets move around. A strange pulsing bubble appears on the screen. This all makes the PC unusable for a while until it settles...