Windows 10: Why can't you defrag an SSD regularly? What does trim mean?

Discus and support Why can't you defrag an SSD regularly? What does trim mean? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; defrag SSD regularly? What does trim mean?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by ClarenceMeyer, Dec 26, 2019.

1. Why can't you defrag an SSD regularly? What does trim mean?

defrag SSD regularly? What does trim mean?

:)

ClarenceMeyer, Dec 26, 2019

2. Defragment & SSD

Hi.

I have installed a Samsung SSD 850 Evo on a Windows 10 build 10.0.14393.

In the Defragment software, I saw "trimmed" instead of "defragmented".

What is trim? Is it necessary to run defragment on SSD?

Running defragment makes any problem to SSD or not?

Thank you.

Reza_Mesgaran, Dec 26, 2019
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    Windows defragment my SSD

Windows doesn't defragment SSDs. It 'optimizes' them, which means running the TRIM command. That's like putting your SSD on Weight Watchers.

BulldogXX, Dec 26, 2019
  4. NavyLCDR Win User

Why can't you defrag an SSD regularly? What does trim mean?

Should SSD's be defragmented

Unlike defragging, Trim on an SSD is just Trim, it doesn't matter which program initiates it the results will be exactly the same. Trim doesn't move files, trim resets storage locations on the SSD that have had data previously stored there. There are two steps required to make a storage location available on an SSD. The first step is to delete the previous data. The second step is to reset the storage location for reuse. The first step is done on-command at the moment it is required. The second step is only performed when either there are no more reset data locations available for use or periodically, hopefully during idle periods. By waiting for an idle period to do the second step, the SSD performance is increased. The second step is the trim operation.

NavyLCDR, Dec 26, 2019
Thema:

Why can't you defrag an SSD regularly? What does trim mean?

1. Why can't you defrag an SSD regularly? What does trim mean? - Similar Threads - Why can't defrag

2. Why is Defrag Trying to Trim a Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Why is Defrag Trying to Trim a Hard Drive: I keep getting the error below that the hard drives in my desktop PC cannot be trimmed. The disks are recognised as hard drives and are being defragged on schedule. What's going on and is there a way of resetting defrag to stop this behaviour? 178416
  3. SSD writing and defrag/trim issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    SSD writing and defrag/trim issue: [ATTACH] Recently about 2 weeks ago I bought a 256 GB SSD and did a clean install on it. Is 327 GB of writes is normal? Does the auto optimization play the role here? I read somewhere that Windows actually "trims" not defrags the SSD. One weird thing is the program doesn't...
  4. Window Defrag "Since Last Run" meaning on SSD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Window Defrag "Since Last Run" meaning on SSD: What does "since last run" mean on the current status of my SSD on windows Defrag? I know that SSDs should not be defragged but is windows automatically defragging my SSD? If so, how can I stop it? [ATTACH]...
  5. What does this box mean & why can't I download Apps?

in Windows 10 Customization
    What does this box mean & why can't I download Apps?: I can't download any programs, or think they're called Apps now. I only bought my brand new laptop recently and nobody else has used it. It has Windows 10 Home. I'm trying to download HP printer software and I also tried other apps such as Google Earth. Everything else is...
  6. Windows 10 ver 2004 SSD trim/defrag glitch

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 ver 2004 SSD trim/defrag glitch: OS: Windows 10 v2004 According to this video on youtube, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffHIY6pOJUk, Microsoft has screwed up the defrag function in the latest update. What I found on my 4 Windows 10 PCs (all updated to Ver 2004) is that PCs with a combination of SSDs and...
  7. WIndows suddenly started defragging my SSD instead of trimming it

in Windows 10 Customization
    WIndows suddenly started defragging my SSD instead of trimming it: I have been using my 850 evo SSD as system drive for 3 years and I have always left Windows to optimize the drives. It's recognized as an SSD and everythin worked fine. Until recently, I noticed the drive's activity light is on when idle. Then I open up task manager and the...
  8. What does it meaning .....

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    What does it meaning .....: launch, the malware creates a file at “c:\windows\temp\TMP0389A.tmp” containing the directory that the malware will save files in. “c:\windows\temp\TMP0389A.tmp” – Intended to contain directory storing keylogs and screenshots. What does it meaning, describe it English...
  9. What's the trimming phase in Defragment and Optimise Drives?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    What's the trimming phase in Defragment and Optimise Drives?: After defragmenting and consolidating (FYI, it's the phase that packs all the files together so it keeps the files from fragmenting), I managed to find a phase called trimming. I left my laptop to sleep while it was defragging (never really a good idea, I suppose). It loves...
  10. What does this mean?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    What does this mean?: What does this mean? [img] And how can I eliminate it? 94430