Windows 10: Why Could My Computer Be Asking For My Recovery Key?

Discus and support Why Could My Computer Be Asking For My Recovery Key? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Recently my computer has been locking itself at random. Whenever I turn it on, it always asks for my BitLocker recovery key. Aside from this, it works... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/ScoutisaSniper, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Why Could My Computer Be Asking For My Recovery Key?

Recently my computer has been locking itself at random. Whenever I turn it on, it always asks for my BitLocker recovery key. Aside from this, it works fine and there's nothing else out of the ordinary that I can notice. Still, it's a pretty big inconvenience to have to input the key every time I turn it on, and it makes me wonder if there's some deeper issue that needs to be addressed.

What could be causing this?

submitted by /u/ScoutisaSniper
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/ScoutisaSniper, Mar 26, 2020
  2. Romel Ram Win User

Recovery Key

Hi Raymond,

For us to properly assist you with your concern about the recovery key, kindly answer the following questions:

• Have you recently performed a reset or refresh of your Windows 10 computer?
    • Is your computer connected to a domain?
    • Are you referring to Bit-locker recovery key? If yes, kindly refer to the article below:

BitLocker recovery keys: Frequently asked questions

We're looking forward to your response.

Romel Ram, Mar 26, 2020
  3. pj04 Win User
    Asking for Bitlocker recovery key on login

So I was playing with BIOS settings for reformatting my laptop and reinstalling Windows using bootable USB drive. I didn't succeed and I probably did something stupid. Now I'm not able to login into my laptop. It's asking me for bitlocker recovery key on both disabled and enabled settings of secure boot.

On "Enabled" setting, it says "Bitlocker needs your recovery key to unlock your drive because Secure Boot policy has unexpectedly changed."

Why Could My Computer Be Asking For My Recovery Key? [​IMG]

On "Disabled" setting, it says "Bitlocker needs your recovery key to unlock your drive because Secure Boot has been disabled. Either Secure Boot must be re-enabled, or Bitlocker must be suspended for Windows to start normally."

Why Could My Computer Be Asking For My Recovery Key? [​IMG]

I don't have a recovery key. I don't remember setting one. I even searched for it in my Microsoft account. My device (ASUS X205TA) is listed but the recovery key is not.

Note that I don't have any useful data in the laptop, so I'd be fine with reinstalling windows even if I loose all the data. I just want to be able to use my laptop again.

4. Sher Amo Win User

Why Could My Computer Be Asking For My Recovery Key?

I need recovery key from another computer

Hi Alwyn,

A product key is used when activating a software.
    To help us determine the appropriate troubleshooting steps
    that can resolve your concern, we would like to ask the following questions:

• What is the make and model of your device?
    • Have you made any recent changes before you encountered this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far to resolve your concern?

In addition, we’d like to request for a screenshot of the exact message where it prompts you to type a recovery key.

We look forward to your response.

Sher Amo, Mar 26, 2020
Thema:

Why Could My Computer Be Asking For My Recovery Key?

1. Why Could My Computer Be Asking For My Recovery Key? - Similar Threads - Why Computer Asking

2. Why is my bitlocker recovery key not working?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is my bitlocker recovery key not working?: I have entered my bitlocker recovery keys and none of them work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-my-bitlocker-recovery-key-not-working/629b5b7c-af72-4850-a6f4-f58db663b3a3
  3. Why is my bitlocker recovery key not working?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is my bitlocker recovery key not working?: I have entered my bitlocker recovery keys and none of them work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-my-bitlocker-recovery-key-not-working/629b5b7c-af72-4850-a6f4-f58db663b3a3
  4. Why is my windows asking for activation key now

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Why is my windows asking for activation key now: I really need help with this, I reseted my pc Becasue it was running slow and I wanted a clean start after I reseted my pc it asked for a activation key when I already entered a activation key, I used the pc like months and this happened like 1 month ago I didn’t really mind...
  5. Why is my windows asking for activation key now

Why is my windows asking for activation key now: I really need help with this, I reseted my pc Becasue it was running slow and I wanted a clean start after I reseted my pc it asked for a activation key when I already entered a activation key, I used the pc like months and this happened like 1 month ago I didn’t really mind...
  6. Windows keeps asking for my Bitlocker recovery key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows keeps asking for my Bitlocker recovery key: Hey all,So I recently got a new eGPU which I connected to my laptop, that all works fine, but ever since I got that, 80% of the time not all of the time, which is what is so confusing when I boot or restart the PC I have to enter the Bitlocker recovery key. This is beginning...
  7. Windows keeps asking for my Bitlocker recovery key

Windows keeps asking for my Bitlocker recovery key: Hey all,So I recently got a new eGPU which I connected to my laptop, that all works fine, but ever since I got that, 80% of the time not all of the time, which is what is so confusing when I boot or restart the PC I have to enter the Bitlocker recovery key. This is beginning...
  8. Hi. My SSD driver asked recovery key, I have RECOVERY KEY ID

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hi. My SSD driver asked recovery key, I have RECOVERY KEY ID: Hi. My SSD driver asked recovery key, I have RECOVERY KEY ID. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hi-my-ssd-driver-asked-recovery-key-i-have/c3e2f630-81a2-4c7c-b61b-8fa98cebfd52
  9. Hi. My SSD driver asked recovery key, I have RECOVERY KEY ID

Hi. My SSD driver asked recovery key, I have RECOVERY KEY ID: Hi. My SSD driver asked recovery key, I have RECOVERY KEY ID. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hi-my-ssd-driver-asked-recovery-key-i-have/c3e2f630-81a2-4c7c-b61b-8fa98cebfd52
  10. Hi. My SSD driver asked recovery key, I have RECOVERY KEY ID

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade