Windows 10: Why could the CPU suddenly be heating up this much?

Discus and support Why could the CPU suddenly be heating up this much? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; [ATTACH] [In screenshot: Thunderbird was just starting, hence the high power usage, otherwise NONE of those programs + a couple more would have the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by xprt007, Jul 31, 2019.

1. xprt007 Win User

Why could the CPU suddenly be heating up this much?

Why could the CPU suddenly be heating up this much? d2dec5ef-0c41-4d9a-83a2-9e6f98129bb2?upload=true.jpg

[In screenshot: Thunderbird was just starting, hence the high power usage, otherwise NONE of those programs + a couple more would have the temps at 72°C, except momentarily. Before submitting this post, I closed Thunderbird and still have temps mostly around 71°C. Under this particular "App-status quo" would be in the 50s or even 40°C under "normal" circumstances.]

Hi there

I would like at the outset like to rule out a mechanical problem involving the fan & dust or something related to the heat sink, etc.

My Samsung laptop [NP355E7C-S09DE, Windows 10 Pro, 64 Bit, 8GB RAM, AMD A8-4500M APU with Radeon HD graphics, AMD Radeon HD 7640, etc] was upgraded from Win 8.1 to Win 10 in 2016 (or 2015?) and actually runs well. I ALWAYS try, just like now to have the latest Windows Updates installed + that of other software.

A while back 2 years or so after upgrade, about 1 - 1.5 years ago, I noticed if I tried to use some software like Driver Booster to upgrade the graphic card drivers or get the latest version directly from AMD, the CPU got really very hot even with the PC doing nothing, with temps at idle within 60°Cs and easily rushing to the 80s & 90°Cs if an application like Firefox or other stuff was turned on, the programs I mostly use.

The normal temperature for most of my activities is 50 - 60°C and then up to 70°C with some applications but hardly more or in rare cases & not for long.

When I reverted to the previous graphic drivers, things cooled down to normal, BUT there's a time I think may be related to a Windows update that made the high temperatures remain for quite a while.

I came to this and AMD forums at the time for help and most of the advice pointed to changing the heat sink or cleaning the fan, etc. I was sure the fan was not clogged. I bulked at the local prices for changing the heat sink and doing it myself because of causing collateral damage.

Somehow, possibly related to some subsequent Windows update, the problem went AWAY on its own, without changing anything. This has been the case up to a couple of days ago.

I had not upgraded the graphic driver and for the many programs I use when multitasking, including almost always having streaming video + multi-tabs of Firefox & or Chrome, the temps were mostly under 60 °C, withing the 50s.

The temperatures have of late moved considerably up, even when the PC is idling and easily go to 70 - 90 with Firefox & co open or with my usual streaming video, a situation which is not good and normal, with the fan blowing hard.

There's been no sudden clogging with dust this past week and I do not see which software I have installed in the last week that could be causing this. I ALWAYS have a limited number of programs running in the background or auto-starting & NOTHING I did not have 2, 5, weeks ago, same to services, using Wise Care 365 to limit the number of non-Windows services auto-starting, to a couple of known programs like the antivirus and just a couple more.

I have no reason to believe I have new malware as the Windows Defender with latest definitions + McAfee Internet security + Malware Hunter Pro all show no threats found in today's scans.

I have to tried to uninstall and install the graphic card drivers [downloaded directly from AMD] to the version I was using with no trouble for over a year (temps mostly in the 50°Cs when multitasking), but with this making no difference.

So my question is what could cause this sudden temperature rise and what solution apart from what I have tried ... (other than changing the heat sink + dust/fan, which i have no reason to believe are relevant at this point) and what solutions are there?

Before posting this, this is what the Task manager looks like in screenshot, though the values like Disk are currently, i.e. after making the screenshot mostly much lower oscillating between 0 & 47% in last couple of minutes - with Firefox + Photofiltre subsequently started. I normally can have many more programs running [multiple browsers tabs, video streaming] while multitasking without temperatures going to 70°C and mostly under 60.

I would appreciate helping understanding what is going on and above all how to stop it.

Regards

:)

xprt007, Jul 31, 2019
  2. Johan45 Win User

AMD FX OC'ers Club

That's what the auto setting will do since you're over the 1333 mark it jumps to the next step which isn't listed or officially supported I assume by that ram.

At this point though I would suggest dropping the multi one step or .5 so that we can get something stable and possibly take the heat issue out of the picture for now.

Johan45, Jul 31, 2019
  3. JaYp146 Win User
    [FS][US] CPU, NForce4 skt 754 motherboard (with PCI-express slot, rare!), DDR RAM

bump, CPU's stepping is now listed.

JaYp146, Jul 31, 2019
  4. MReprogle Win User

CPU heat

I feel stupid for having not looked at the CPU temps, but while in BIOS the CPU temperature popped out at me, as it was getting all the way up to 80C. I didn't have any issues with Windows 8.1 shutting down, but as soon as I moved to Windows 10, it kept having these issues (very strange), which is why I didn't pay too much attention at first.

Based on suggestions regarding the power supply, I figured it was a decent time to upgrade and get a better one, so I grabbed a 750W one along with a new heatsink/fan for the CPU and put it all in with new thermal paste. The old thermal paste looked terrible and if anyone is having the same issues and doesn't want to replace the PSU and heatink, make sure to check on your thermal paste! It had been quite some time since I built the PC, and it looked ragged.

Now, with the new PSU, heatsink/fan and some fresh thermal paste, my PC has been working nonstop for days now. Thank you to everyone with suggestions on fixes!

MReprogle, Jul 31, 2019
Thema:

1. Why could the CPU suddenly be heating up this much? - Similar Threads - Why CPU suddenly

2. Laptop performance decreasing because it isn't heating up as much.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop performance decreasing because it isn't heating up as much.: My laptop used to heat up a lot when playing games, leading to high fps. But recently, my laptop has stopped heating up a lot, which led to a significant decrease in fps. I have tried to fix this by doing things such as reinstalling my graphics driver and putting my laptop on...
  3. Laptop performance decreasing because it isn't heating up as much.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop performance decreasing because it isn't heating up as much.: My laptop used to heat up a lot when playing games, leading to high fps. But recently, my laptop has stopped heating up a lot, which led to a significant decrease in fps. I have tried to fix this by doing things such as reinstalling my graphics driver and putting my laptop on...
  4. Why is PhotoService.exe using so much CPU?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is PhotoService.exe using so much CPU?: Why is the PhotoService.exe running and using a high level of CPU? Can I disable or delete it? Why is it necessary? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-photoserviceexe-using-so-much-cpu/e2095fa8-d8c4-41b1-8080-45b0edba767a
  5. Why is PhotoService.exe using so much CPU?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is PhotoService.exe using so much CPU?: Why is the PhotoService.exe running and using a high level of CPU? Can I disable or delete it? Why is it necessary? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-photoserviceexe-using-so-much-cpu/e2095fa8-d8c4-41b1-8080-45b0edba767a
  6. Could someone explain why this is taking up so much memory?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Could someone explain why this is taking up so much memory?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/SaiKarthik04 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/m7og4f/could_someone_explain_why_this_is_taking_up_so/
  7. My laptop is heating too much

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My laptop is heating too much: Hi friends. My laptop is heating up and I feel the laptop is getting hot. Some times the core temp gives me a value of 96 Celsius and at the other time its between 50 and 80. For this should I use a cooling pad or are there any other upgrades to do and give me a quick reply...
  8. lenovo y520 suddenly heating up all the time

lenovo y520 suddenly heating up all the time: as the title says I undervolted like a week ago and it was good until 2 days ago temps were 70c all the time restarted and didn't open anything other than intel extreme tuning utiliy to check temps same thing 67-72c without anything opened and if I play a game it will heat up...
  9. Why is "Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry" taking up so much of the CPU?

Why is "Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry" taking up so much of the CPU?: It has once took up over 60% of the CPU! I have a reasonably powerful computer, any explanation on why MSCT takes up so much? submitted by /u/HomieBoxYT [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gckclo/why_is_microsoft_compatibility_telemetry_taking/
  10. CPU Heating Or Problem With Motherboard?

in Windows 10 Support
    CPU Heating Or Problem With Motherboard?: Hello people. I have some issue that need help,guide nor advice from you guys regarding the cpu.My system is Win 10 Pro comes with 8gb ram,i5 4th gen (4210h),Nvidia GTX950m.The issue is when i run bluestack the cpu temp goes around 70c - 87c (max) and the cpu constant loads...