Windows 10: Why create a Registry entry for an installer in in the users downloads folder?

Discus and support Why create a Registry entry for an installer in in the users downloads folder? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Im just curious why a developer would create a a registry entry to an installer in the downloads folder. Its going to be invalid is soon as the user... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by ChristinaShonts, May 23, 2020.

1. Why create a Registry entry for an installer in in the users downloads folder?

Im just curious why a developer would create a a registry entry to an installer in the downloads folder. Its going to be invalid is soon as the user deletes it. Wouldn't it make more sense to move the installer to a folder that the user will never open. It like trying to make a bath tub out of paper mache.

:)

ChristinaShonts, May 23, 2020

2. Create registry installation values?

Same issue exists with Blizzard games, there you just have to add the gamepath to the registry and you can patch again (no other registry entries needed)

DanTheBanjoman, May 23, 2020
  3. Windows 10 does not make registry entries for new user, new user cannot log on

I have two PCs with Windows 10. I created a new user on one PC, no issues. But on the other computer I can create a new user but this user cannot log in. When examining the registers (done lots og google search on this) there are no registry entries for
    the newly created user. Are there any access rights or similar that I need to adjust? Other suggestion?

PaulFredriksen, May 23, 2020
  4. Nicrite Win User

Why create a Registry entry for an installer in in the users downloads folder?

Vista Ultimate - 'User' Folder Location

No tried that.

Can copy the entire folder to D; but Windows still points to C as the location. Can change personal folders location to a folder on D;, but this still leaves hidden files etc on C;. Thus meaning there are 2 Users folders. Have managed to change the Public folder location to D;, with some registry tweaks, but this doesnt seem to work for the entire folder.

any more suggestions

Nicrite, May 23, 2020
Thema:

Why create a Registry entry for an installer in in the users downloads folder?

1. Why create a Registry entry for an installer in in the users downloads folder? - Similar Threads - Why create Registry

2. Registry entry

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Registry entry: Desktop PC with Windows 11 Pro Version 22H2 OS Build 22621.1194.The registry has two entries for the Downloads folder as below for the same User -HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders{374DE290-123F-4565-9164-39C4925E467B}...
  3. Registry entry

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Registry entry: Desktop PC with Windows 11 Pro Version 22H2 OS Build 22621.1194.The registry has two entries for the Downloads folder as below for the same User -HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders{374DE290-123F-4565-9164-39C4925E467B}...
  4. Registry Entry

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Registry Entry: Does anyone know what this registry entry is? When I run McAfee Quick Clean this registry entry can never be removed, is there a reason? HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{265b1075-d22b-41eb-bc97-87568f3e6dab}...
  5. registry entries

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    registry entries: ActiveX/COM Issue LocalServer32\C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Speech_OneCore\Common\SpeechRuntime.exe -ToastNotifier HKCR\CLSID\{265b1075-d22b-41eb-bc97-87568f3e6dab} https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/registry-entries/739b6f1f-5482-41d7-98cc-c9cfc7df078c
  6. How to Create folder in registry

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to Create folder in registry: \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-create-folder-in-registry/b4fa7a55-78a8-4ee6-a739-ff1503cc42a2
  7. Entries in Registry

in Windows 10 Support
    Entries in Registry: Hello, While making some registry editing, found 17 entries named "Sign.Media". Don't know what it is, have not any program this name. Can I remove them from the registry ? Answers will be appreciated Thanks 140198
  8. Creating an MPO registry entry

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Creating an MPO registry entry: I can copy the .Jpg registry entry and then by changing ".jpg" to ".mpo" in all places, MPO thumbnails and tag details can be displayed. I have also found that removing the fulldetails kills the details option when looking at properties. MPO is basically a container for...
  9. Will fresh restart remove all the installed softwares as well as registry entries created...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Will fresh restart remove all the installed softwares as well as registry entries created...: I have been thinking of clean installation because I want to reset the registry entries as they were when windows was just installed. But now I remember that I can do a fresh restart but I am not sure if that's gonna delete all the additional third-party added registry items...
  10. Creating a registry key for a universal context menu entry?

in Windows 10 Support
    Creating a registry key for a universal context menu entry?: I am a constant user of Textpad test editor, in every context, but their setup option to have "Open with Textpad" on every context menu is broken in Windows 10. Occasionally, I also use Notepad++, but it is not a substitute because of the collection of editing tools,...