Windows 10: Why Create A System Image cannot detect my additional hard disk?

Discus and support Why Create A System Image cannot detect my additional hard disk? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi I was trying to create a system image via Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Backup and Restore Windows 7 , but it does not detect the additional... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by kkl888, Dec 11, 2020.

1. kkl888 Win User

Why Create A System Image cannot detect my additional hard disk?

Hi I was trying to create a system image via Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Backup and Restore Windows 7 , but it does not detect the additional hard disk D drive. Currently Windows system is located at C drive.

Why Create A System Image cannot detect my additional hard disk? e436434b-a696-4019-97c3-17d9d921464e?upload=true.png

Why Create A System Image cannot detect my additional hard disk? 5b168e97-646b-4247-aa0e-e51cb90cae2d?upload=true.png

If I select Next, it would show the D drive is a system partition like this:

Why Create A System Image cannot detect my additional hard disk? b1789044-6aa1-475b-8f46-f22343de3547?upload=true.png

I had formatted the D drive and also tried deleting volume and recreating new volume using Disk Management in Windows. After recreating new volume, the D drive showed up in Create-a-system-image. After backing up or restarting the computer, the D drive will fall back to system partition and Create-a-system-image cannot detect the drive again and cannot restore the previous backup as well. How do we fix this?

* The D Drive hard disk is a 2.5" HDD from a laptop. It was formatted. It's an additional internal hard disk for my desktop pc connected via SATA.

:)

kkl888, Dec 11, 2020
  2. Riel Alc Win User

Remove spare hard disk as system disk

Thank you for your reply.

There's a possibility that your HDD was detected as OS drive during the Windows installation. To remove your HDD as system disk, we suggest reformatting it. To do so, please follow the steps below:

• Open Disk Management.
    • Right-click on your HDD, then select Format.
    • On the Format windows, type your preferred Volume label,
      File system (NTFS is recommended)
      , Allocation unit size (leave as Default).
    • Check the Perform a quick format option, then click
      OK

Note: Please back up your files before reformatting the drive.

Feel free to post back should you need further help.

Riel Alc, Dec 11, 2020
  3. cant create a system image it suddenly cannot see it anymore

Hi Matt,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing currently.

I would appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better.

• Are you trying to create a system image on an internal or external Hard disk?
    • Do you get any error message or error code when you try to create a system image?
    • Did you make any recent changes on your computer?
    I would like to inform you that this issue could be due to several reasons like bad sectors on disk.
    I would suggest you to use an external hard disk and check if you are not using one. If not you can also perform a
    check disk to spot any error in your hard disk. To do so, follow the steps.

1. Press Windows +
    X,
    Click on Command Prompt (Admin).

2. Type in chkdsk /f /r and press
    Enter.

This will display the exact errors occurring in your hard drive.

Please get back to us with a reply so that we can assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Dec 11, 2020
  4. Why Create A System Image cannot detect my additional hard disk?

Unable to create a system image backup

Hi and thanks for reaching out. My name is Anthony.

I'm Independent Advisor and I'm happy to assist you.

I understand how difficult it is, when the device or app won't work in the way it should.

Do you have any third party antivirus software installed on the system?

This error occurs if there is no enough disk space in the storage location where you are trying to create the system image backup.

Let’s try the following steps and check if it helps.

Method 1:

Check the disk usage in disk management.

According to the error message, it indicated that there is not enough disk space to do a system image backup on the computer. So, I would first suggest you to check the disk usage in disk management carefully and make sure all the partitions have enough space
    to do system backup image.

To open the Disk Management, you can follow these steps:

a. Press Windows key + R, type diskmgmt.msc and click OK.

Here, you can see the usage of the whole hard drive. Please check it carefully and make sure all partitions have enough space.

Notice: if you have some hidden partition on the computer, please also make sure the hidden partition has the enough rest space to do the system image on the computer.

If there is enough space on the hard disk, then you may try the next method to check if there are any errors with the disk.

Method 2:

Check the disk where you are trying to backup or create the system image and make sure that the disk is error free. Press Windows key + X, click Command Prompt (Admin) and follow the below provided steps:

a. In the command prompt, type chkdsk followed by one or a combination of switches listed in step b and c.

Note 1: You need to perform check disk operation on C: drive. So, the command to switch to C: drive would be chkdsk c: and followed by switches as given in the steps further.

b. /f = The /f switch is the most common of the chkdsk switches. It tells chkdsk to try and fix any errors it finds.

EX Type: chkdsk C:/f

Note 2: Answer Y when chkdsk asks you if you want to check the drive next time Windows 7 boots (restarts).

c. /r = The /r switch tells chkdsk to attempt to recover any bad sectors of the hard drive if any are found. A bad sector is a spot on the hard drive that cannot hold saved data anymore.

EX Type: chkdsk c:/r

Note: Answer Y when chkdsk asks you if you want to check the drive next time Windows 10 boots.

Warning: If check disk finds any bad sector, the data on the sector would be lost.

Important: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost.

Hope it will help.

Please let me know if you need any further assistance.

Thank you and Keep Safe.

AnthonyLabramonte, Dec 11, 2020
Thema:

Why Create A System Image cannot detect my additional hard disk?

1. Why Create A System Image cannot detect my additional hard disk? - Similar Threads - Why Create System

2. Why Create a System Image detect my internal hard drive partition F: as a System Drive ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why Create a System Image detect my internal hard drive partition F: as a System Drive ?: Hi I was trying to create a system image via Backup and Restore Windows 7 , but it does detect my internal hard drive partition F: as a System Drive! and the program didn't allow me to exclude the drive F: from the system image creation , Currently Windows system is located...
  3. Why Create a System Image detect my internal hard drive partition F: as a System Drive ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why Create a System Image detect my internal hard drive partition F: as a System Drive ?: Hi I was trying to create a system image via Backup and Restore Windows 7 , but it does detect my internal hard drive partition F: as a System Drive! and the program didn't allow me to exclude the drive F: from the system image creation , Currently Windows system is located...
  4. Why Create a System Image detect my internal hard drive partition F: as a System Drive ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Hard drive is not visible in dropdown for creating system image.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard drive is not visible in dropdown for creating system image.: Hi,I have installed 2 SSD and 1 Hard drive, I am running windows 11 OS, previously I was able to create system image on my hard drive but now when I open the app to create a new backup, it don't show my hard drive in dropdown.As you can see there is a 2 TB Hard drive E...
  6. Cannot create system image backup

Cannot create system image backup: I want to create a system image backup but I can't because I don't have enough space to store it. I checked and noticed when I backed up it included drive E even though I didn't install any operating system on this drive....
  7. Can't Create System Image on External Hard Drive

Can't Create System Image on External Hard Drive: Recently my ssd had started failing so I replaced it with 2 new ones. I'm trying to transfer the os from the old ssd to the new one. I read online that I need to make a system repair disc and a system image. I was able to create the system repair disc with no issues however I...
  8. Hard disk not detected

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard disk not detected: WD my passport ultra is not detected in the surface 6. I checked it at device mgmt but not showing then checked it through command prompt it not showing. However once it showed the message that " Last USB device you connected has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognise...
  9. System Recovery "The system image is on a hard disk...."

System Recovery "The system image is on a hard disk....": Hi, I have a laptop with a SSD. I made two logical partition C and D on a SSD, so I installed Win 10 on the C logical disk and made a backup image on the D logical disk. In win 7, I can restore my back-up image on another logical disk, but I tried to recover in Win 10. I...
  10. Windows System Image Cannot, and Will Not Back-up To External Hard Disk!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows System Image Cannot, and Will Not Back-up To External Hard Disk!: Why is the Windows 10 operating system not capable of creating a necessary, important back-up of a System Image? What the hell is wrong with you people? Get this necessary command correct! I have a back-up program from my laptop computer's manufacturer that is 5 years old,...