Windows 10: Why default OS changes after windows update?

Discus and support Why default OS changes after windows update? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have dualbooted two Windows 10's, and when an update happens on one of them, the updated system goes to default os. I don't want that.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Hayayaya, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Hayayaya Win User

Why default OS changes after windows update?

I have dualbooted two Windows 10's, and when an update happens on one of them, the updated system goes to default os. I don't want that.

:)

Hayayaya, Jun 28, 2019
  2. Jerry8A Win User

Recent (Save Files) - Change Default Settings to OneDrive

Hello -
    Thanks for the return. Before I undertake changing the Registry, I have a question.
    The steps in my Registry, for my version of Windows 10, were a bit different, but I think I eventually got to the right spot.
    The last step is to change the number of places you want to list in Recent Places. In my case, the default Max Display listed 50 as the number. So, if I were to change that number, how do I know the Save As page will be one of those places? Or, a similar question, will this registry change delete the tab Recent from my Save As page? This is what I would like to happen.
    When I received my computer in Nov. 2016, the Recent tab was not listed in the Save As page. Something caused it to be added over time. Which brings me to this second question. Would there be any benefit in deleting the changed registry listing and reverting back to the default listing? See attachment.
    Jerry

Jerry8A, Jun 28, 2019
  3. jbailey8 Win User
    HyperSLI (Enabling SLI on non-sli motherboards)

To turn off windows updates in windows 7 follow these steps:

Click the start button, in the search box type in 'windows updates', click on 'windows update'
    in the search results list, in the left side of the windows update window click 'change settings'
    then in the option bar select 'Never check for updates'.

jbailey8, Jun 28, 2019
  4. Why default OS changes after windows update?

How to make make a particular OS as default boot.

Hi Mohammad,

As per the description, I understand that you had installed two Windows 10 Operating systems on a particular hard drive, where one is genuine.

If you would like to make the genuine Operating system as the default boot, please follow the below steps.

• Press the Windows + R keys to open the Run dialog, type
      msconfig, and press Enter.

• Click/tap on the Boot tab.
      Select the operating system you want to delete that is not set as the
      Default OS, and click/tap on Delete.

NOTE:
      If the OS you want to delete from the list is the
      Default OS, then you will need to change the
      default operating system
      to another listed OS first.

• Check the Make all boot settings permanent box, and click on
      OK.

• Click/tap on Yes to confirm.

• Click/tap on the Restart button.
    Hope the steps provided helps you to select the default Operating system on boot. Please do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Jun 28, 2019
Thema:

Why default OS changes after windows update?

1. Why default OS changes after windows update? - Similar Threads - Why default changes

2. Default save to location changed after Windows update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default save to location changed after Windows update: After a recent update in Windows 11 pro, my save to location has changed. Previously, everything would save to my last saved to location. Now, it goes only to the C: drive for every save and I have to navigate to the desired folder. I attempted to change it in settings...
  3. Default save to location changed after Windows update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Default save to location changed after Windows update: After a recent update in Windows 11 pro, my save to location has changed. Previously, everything would save to my last saved to location. Now, it goes only to the C: drive for every save and I have to navigate to the desired folder. I attempted to change it in settings...
  4. Stop Windows OS from Changing My Default Printer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Stop Windows OS from Changing My Default Printer: Hello,This problem has been bugging me for a while.My Default Printer changes about once or twice a month, seems like it's after a Windows Update.I would like to prohibit any automated changes to my default printer "." PERIOD! Is there a way to hard code in only allowing...
  5. Stop Windows OS from Changing My Default Printer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stop Windows OS from Changing My Default Printer: Hello,This problem has been bugging me for a while.My Default Printer changes about once or twice a month, seems like it's after a Windows Update.I would like to prohibit any automated changes to my default printer "." PERIOD! Is there a way to hard code in only allowing...
  6. Change default spellings in Mail WITHOUT changing OS language.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change default spellings in Mail WITHOUT changing OS language.: I want to change the default spellings checker in the Mail application to Dutch.I want to do this without having to change the OS language.I have read the articles on this site about a switch of proofing language but they don't provide an answer to my usecase.Having my...
  7. Change default spellings in Mail WITHOUT changing OS language.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change default spellings in Mail WITHOUT changing OS language.: I want to change the default spellings checker in the Mail application to Dutch.I want to do this without having to change the OS language.I have read the articles on this site about a switch of proofing language but they don't provide an answer to my usecase.Having my...
  8. How To Change default os android os to Windows

How To Change default os android os to Windows: i have installed an android operating system and by mistake i have set it to default how to change it back to windows. when i switch on the pc it shows dell's logo and then directly opens the android os Note - it doesn't show windows logo on startup, so we cant open...
  9. Default Programs always changed after Windows 10 update

Default Programs always changed after Windows 10 update: Why are my default applications always changed after a Windows 10 update ? I am really sick of having to change them back to my preferred applications. What right has Microsoft got to constantly change my preferred settings? It is MY computer and I do not wish to use some of...
  10. Windows changed default keyboard layout after update

Windows changed default keyboard layout after update: Hi My copy of windows 10 recently self updated to... I think it was the April update. No idea why it was so late. Anyway, with that update, Windows changed a lot of my default settings, and does not seem to be very keen on letting me change them back. The biggest annoyance...