Windows 10: Why did I lose files after turning off OneDrive syncing for several of the folders?

Discus and support Why did I lose files after turning off OneDrive syncing for several of the folders? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Very unhappy with how OneDrive operates. My wife and I both have separate OneDrive emails but our account is linked. Noticed earlier this year that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by robert lewis7, Jun 12, 2024.

1. Why did I lose files after turning off OneDrive syncing for several of the folders?

Very unhappy with how OneDrive operates. My wife and I both have separate OneDrive emails but our account is linked. Noticed earlier this year that files from her computer were showing up on mine and vice-versa. I turned off sync for several of my folders desktop, documents, etc but noticed today that a few folders from my desktop were missing. I couldn't find them so I went and checked what my OneDrive settings were. It showed that syncing was turned off for the options I had chose before so I went to my wifes computer and checked but didn't see the files. I looked in the recycle bin

:)

robert lewis7, Jun 12, 2024
  2. Brink Win User

Microsoft turns on shared folder sync for OneDrive

Source: Allow folders to be shared/co-owned with access/sync the same for all co-owners - Feature Suggestions for Microsoft OneDrive

Brink, Jun 12, 2024
  3. stlsailor Win User
    How does Windows 10 conversion setup offline OneDrive files by default

When I migrate to Windows 10,

• Placeholders will be deleted from my local OneDrive folder.
    • Per folder selective sync will be available.
    But that leaves a question…

• Will per folder selective sync be turned OFF by default at conversion?
      • This means offline files on the local OneDrive folder will be orphaned.
      • Therefore, to avoid confusion, I’d need to either (a) delete them since they’re available online and since sync is off, or (b) turn on selective sync for the folder they’re in and sync all files in the folder, or (c) do nothing if OneDrive automatically deleted them in the conversion.

• Or, will per folder selective sync be turned ON by default for folders that have offline files in them, syncing all files in such a folder?

• Or, will OneDrive try to sync all folders to my local OneDrive, overwhelming the smaller drive on my laptop?
    It seems to me this would be important to know, but I've not been able to find anything on it.

stlsailor, Jun 12, 2024
  4. Brink Win User

Why did I lose files after turning off OneDrive syncing for several of the folders?

OneDrive Sync altered many desktop files

Q1) Sure, you can select to turn on or off sync for folders.

Choose Folders for OneDrive Selective Sync in Windows 10

The check marks are part of OneDrive On-demand.

Turn On or Off OneDrive Files On-Demand in Windows 10

Turn On or Off OneDrive Cloud States for Navigation Pane in Windows 10

Q2) There's no need to try and sync the General.one folder unless you just wanted to. I thought it may have been part of the Documents folder contents you said wasn't fully syncing yet.

Q3) Correct. Only a copy of the files from your PC will be copied to your online OneDrive, and kept synced for changes.

Brink, Jun 12, 2024
Thema:

Why did I lose files after turning off OneDrive syncing for several of the folders?

1. Why did I lose files after turning off OneDrive syncing for several of the folders? - Similar Threads - Why did lose

2. Why did I lose files after turning off OneDrive syncing for several of the folders?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why did I lose files after turning off OneDrive syncing for several of the folders?: Very unhappy with how OneDrive operates. My wife and I both have separate OneDrive emails but our account is linked. Noticed earlier this year that files from her computer were showing up on mine and vice-versa. I turned off sync for several of my folders desktop, documents,...
  3. I will lose files if I firstly sync using Onedrive and Update!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I will lose files if I firstly sync using Onedrive and Update!: Okay so firstly i synced my files before 22h2 but when I finally updated to 22h2 all of my files are gone, and when I syncs using Onedrive it comes back! This is so confusing!...
  4. I will lose files if I firstly sync using Onedrive and Update!

I will lose files if I firstly sync using Onedrive and Update!: Okay so firstly i synced my files before 22h2 but when I finally updated to 22h2 all of my files are gone, and when I syncs using Onedrive it comes back! This is so confusing!...
  5. Syncing Files/Folder with OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Syncing Files/Folder with OneDrive: Reinstalled Windows 10 on laptop. Have all my files/folders backup on OneDrive. My Pictures folder is 79Gb. Is it going to take a long time to sync my Pictures folder back to my Laptop I like a copy on my laptop as well as on OneDrive as I only have 65mb internet speed....
  6. Syncing Files/Folder with OneDrive

Syncing Files/Folder with OneDrive: Reinstalled Windows 10 on laptop. Have all my files/folders backup on OneDrive. My Pictures folder is 79Gb. Is it going to take a long time to sync my Pictures folder back to my Laptop I like a copy on my laptop as well as on OneDrive as I only have 65mb internet speed....
  7. Syncing Files/Folder with OneDrive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. OneDrive files/folder sync

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive files/folder sync: How do I get a newly created (by me) Video folder in OneDrive to save new content and sync with My PC >Video folder? Currently new video content is saved in QneDrive >Camera roll. OneDrive version 19.070.0410.0007 [ATTACH]...
  9. Turn On or Off Sync Office 2016 Files with OneDrive in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Sync Office 2016 Files with OneDrive in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Sync Office 2016 Files with OneDrive in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Sync Office 2016 Files with OneDrive in Windows 10 OneDrive is a cloud-based storage service where you can view, browse, upload, and share the files you saved online to...
  10. Microsoft turns on shared folder sync for OneDrive

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft turns on shared folder sync for OneDrive: Hi all - I’m excited to let you know that we’ve begun rolling out Shared Folder sync on OneDrive. We can’t wait for you to start using it! How does it work? We have a new action on OneDrive, called “Add to my OneDrive.” Whenever you are using OneDrive on the web, or...