Windows 10: Why did Microsoft File History not backup all of the files in my Documents folder?

Discus and support Why did Microsoft File History not backup all of the files in my Documents folder? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; My hard drive failed. I have manually backed up regularly using MS File History. When I tried to copy the files from my backup drive to another... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by CleopatraAB, Nov 10, 2022.

1. Why did Microsoft File History not backup all of the files in my Documents folder?

My hard drive failed. I have manually backed up regularly using MS File History. When I tried to copy the files from my backup drive to another computer, I discovered that many many files were missing. For example, a folder might contain a random selection of files. Another folder contains only files created within the last year. I am using Windows 11 on both the computer that failed and the computer to which I tried to transfer the files. Both were set up to update Windows software automatically. How did this happen?

:)

CleopatraAB, Nov 10, 2022
  2. Leen76 Win User

Backup These Folders in File History

My Pictures and My Videos folders are inside the My Documents folder. In File History all three folders are listed in the Backup These Folders list. Does this mean that because of this, files in Pictures and Videos are backuped twice? Once when backing up
    My Documents and once when backing up My Pictures and My Videos (included in My Documents)

Leen76, Nov 10, 2022
  3. ZeroWolf Win User
    File History Folders in Documents

I tried tinkering with File History and couldn't get anything to work: my issue is that I don't want to save all files within my documents folder. I only want to backup very particular files; however, after removing all of the preset folders and added
    what I wanted, I found that any folders that are housed within my documents folder don't appear in the backup options. The only time I can see them in my list is when I re-add the documents folder. If I remove the folder again and try to run the backup, there
    is an unspoken error and it just doesn't run the backup. I have numerous folders under documents that have been created by various programs and I don't want to go through each individual folder to exclude them nor have to worry about a new folder popping up
    and automatically being added to my backup prior to excluding it. Any ideas?

ZeroWolf, Nov 10, 2022
  4. Why did Microsoft File History not backup all of the files in my Documents folder?

Microsoft File History Backup

I recently started using File History back. All seems to work well except my Music Files. I have a large collection of music stored in the Itunes and Amazon folders. But when the backup was executed, not all music folders within these two folders were
    transferred to the backup. I can not understand why some were backed up and others were not. Does anyone have any suggestions? All document files are archived fine.

RobertBurton313, Nov 10, 2022
Thema:

Why did Microsoft File History not backup all of the files in my Documents folder?

1. Why did Microsoft File History not backup all of the files in my Documents folder? - Similar Threads - Why did Microsoft

2. File History in Windows 10. Why doesn't File History show all my folders?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History in Windows 10. Why doesn't File History show all my folders?: Why doesn't File History show all my folders? To find my backed up file I followed the suggested path: Settings / Restore files from a current backup / One Drive etc.But only about two thirds of my One Drive folders were available.Eventually I tracked down the folder that I...
  3. File History in Windows 10. Why doesn't File History show all my folders?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History in Windows 10. Why doesn't File History show all my folders?: Why doesn't File History show all my folders? To find my backed up file I followed the suggested path: Settings / Restore files from a current backup / One Drive etc.But only about two thirds of my One Drive folders were available.Eventually I tracked down the folder that I...
  4. File History in Windows 10. Why doesn't File History show all my folders?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Why did Microsoft File History not backup all of the files in my Documents folder?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why did Microsoft File History not backup all of the files in my Documents folder?: My hard drive failed. I have manually backed up regularly using MS File History. When I tried to copy the files from my backup drive to another computer, I discovered that many many files were missing. For example, a folder might contain a random selection of files. Another...
  6. file history, adding folders to backup

file history, adding folders to backup: How do you backup file history? windows 10 pro https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-adding-folders-to-backup/b3568a24-a3c3-48dd-a5c6-e625870bcd15
  7. File History/File Backup

in Windows 10 Customization
    File History/File Backup: What is the best way to back up my computer using Windows 10. I was using File History and it is not completing the process. [ATTACH] The screen capture shows a backup on 10/15/2019 but there are no updated files showing up on my external drive....
  8. File History Backup and Appdata folders

File History Backup and Appdata folders: I have two home computers both on an Office 365 subscription, Windows 10. Many ‘C:\...User’ folders are included in ‘File History, Backup’ by default but the ‘User\AppData’ folder is not. Is it a good idea to include any of the AppData folders in backups? For example,...
  9. How to add "Documents" folder to File History backup

How to add "Documents" folder to File History backup: I don't need a complete backup of my hard drive...just specific files, etc. - like my Documents, Pictures, etc....any way to do this with the "File History" backup option?...
  10. Backup Files and Folders with File History in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Backup Files and Folders with File History in Windows 10: How to: Backup Files and Folders with File History in Windows 10 How to Manually Create a File History Backup in Windows 10 [img] Information File History was first introduced in Windows 8, and has been improved in Windows 10. You can use File History to...