Windows 10: Why did Microsoft remove "Recent Places" from Windows Explorer and Save As dialog boxes?

Discus and support Why did Microsoft remove "Recent Places" from Windows Explorer and Save As dialog boxes? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Why did Microsoft remove "Recent Places" aka Recent Folders from Windows Explorer and Save as dialog boxes? I see from posts in a few places people... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by e_canuck, Feb 3, 2020.

1. e_canuck Win User

Why did Microsoft remove "Recent Places" from Windows Explorer and Save As dialog boxes?

Why did Microsoft remove "Recent Places" aka Recent Folders from Windows Explorer and Save as dialog boxes? I see from posts in a few places people previously found ways to edit the registry and add back this important functionality but MS keeps changing the operating system to wipe out the option.

I held back on migrating to Win 10 and even sat on my new Win10 PC for months, expecting there to be challenges with moving onto it, which there are. I didn't expect basic navigational stuff like this to be killed, on purpose.

:)

e_canuck, Feb 3, 2020
  2. Mirek Win User

Recent places dissappears in Quick Access in open/save dialog

I have pinned "Recent Places" folder (%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent) and this folder shows in explorer windows in Quick Access area. This is OK.
    But why this folder disappears from Quick Access aren in open / save dialogs in all applications?
    This is strange. Every other pinned items show up in both explorer windows and open/save dialogs...
    Any thoughts?

Mirek, Feb 3, 2020
  3. LauraWan Win User
    Dialog Box Save/Open

When saving or opening a file you are promoted with a dialog box, beside the file name there is a text box and beside the text box there is down arrow that will list all your recent saved or open files with it's path, how do I not have them be saved
    in the drop down list? I know how to disable the jump list in Windows 10 by turning of Show recently opened items in Jump Lists on Start or the taskbar by the toggle button so that it says Off. That doesn't clear the list that I want it to.

Example in photo (Yes I am aware that is Windows 8/8.1 but I have Windows 10):

Why did Microsoft remove "Recent Places" from Windows Explorer and Save As dialog boxes? 866e2dca-7080-43d0-adc1-ba806bdcfe67?upload=true.png

LauraWan, Feb 3, 2020
  4. slozomby Win User

Why did Microsoft remove "Recent Places" from Windows Explorer and Save As dialog boxes?

Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Feb 3, 2020
Thema:

1. Why did Microsoft remove "Recent Places" from Windows Explorer and Save As dialog boxes? - Similar Threads - Why did Microsoft

2. Why is my Save dialog box in Hindi/Sanskrit?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is my Save dialog box in Hindi/Sanskrit?: I have a windows 11 laptop. Since I have a lot of typing in Sanskrit I had installed the Sanskrit language pack. Now my save dialog box is in Hindi/Sanskrit. Can someone help me?...
  3. Save As Dialog Boxes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Save As Dialog Boxes: Is there any way to bypass the following dialog box in Windows 10?and go directly to THIS instead? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/save-as-dialog-boxes/e59435c7-7ca1-4ab7-957f-0e3756499b67
  4. Save As Dialog Boxes

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Save As Dialog Boxes: Is there any way to bypass the following dialog box in Windows 10?and go directly to THIS instead? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/save-as-dialog-boxes/e59435c7-7ca1-4ab7-957f-0e3756499b67
  5. Save As Dialog Boxes

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. Save As + Browse Dialog Box

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Save As + Browse Dialog Box: I have Windows 10 and have recently noticed a change in the “Save As” “Browse” dialog box. The dialog box used to open with the File tree on the left side. Now it opens with a list of: Author, Type, Title, etc. How can I change this dialog box back to the previous version?...
  7. Open and Save As Dialog Boxes not working Windows 10- open and save dialog boxes not...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Open and Save As Dialog Boxes not working Windows 10- open and save dialog boxes not...: New 4 Months Lennovo legion laptop with Win10 64 bit pre-installed. As indicated, the file/open file/save dialog boxes do not work for any 32 bit applications. This includes Office applications/Acrobat/Garmin/etc. Dialog boxes do work for 64 bit applications. 1 I have...
  8. Dialog Box Save/Open

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dialog Box Save/Open: When saving or opening a file you are promoted with a dialog box, beside the file name there is a text box and beside the text box there is down arrow that will list all your recent saved or open files with it's path, how do I not have them be saved in the drop down list? I...
  9. Recent places dissappears in Quick Access in open/save dialog

in Windows 10 Support
    Recent places dissappears in Quick Access in open/save dialog: I have pinned "Recent Places" folder (%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent) and this folder shows in explorer windows in Quick Access area. This is OK. But why this folder disappears from Quick Access aren in open / save dialogs in all applications? This...
  10. Places bar missing in Windows 10 file open/save dialog box

in Windows 10 Support
    Places bar missing in Windows 10 file open/save dialog box: I upgraded from Win 7 so do not know if the places bar (on side of box) was present in Win 8. Having the places bar was very handy for me in Win 7. I had customized the menu to list my most used folders. The Win 10 dialogue box presents you with a tree on the left side making...