Windows 10: Why did my desktop background change to match a completely different computer?

Discus and support Why did my desktop background change to match a completely different computer? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I am interested to know if someone can explain why this happened: I have a Windows 10 PC (HP) that only I use. The desktop background is a family... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by EWindow, Dec 2, 2018.

1. EWindow Win User

Why did my desktop background change to match a completely different computer?

I am interested to know if someone can explain why this happened:

I have a Windows 10 PC (HP) that only I use. The desktop background is a family photo.

My husband needed a new PC so we bought a new Lenovo desktop computer for him. The default desktop background was a Lenovo design. Since I will be the admin on the Lenovo, I signed in with my Windows account and installed Office 365 for which I have a subscription. I created a separate local user account for my husband to use.

At the end of the day, I went back to my own PC and was startled to see that the desktop background had changed to the Lenovo design all by itself.

I imagine that this behavior has something to do with my having logged into both computers with my Windows account, but to me it makes no sense for this change to happen. I could have 100 PCs, but that doesn't mean I want them to all have the same desktop background.

Why did this happen?

:)

EWindow, Dec 2, 2018

2. changing the background images

Hi,

In order to help you better, could you please confirm a couple of things.

• Have you made any changes on the computer prior to the issue?
    • Are you referring to desktop background image or lock screen image?

I suggest you to follow the below steps to change the background picture and check if it helps.

• In the search type as ‘Settings’ and click on it.
    • Select ‘Personalization’, under ‘Background’ option select as ‘Picture’.
    • Under ‘Choose your picture’ select any picture accordingly or you can browse the picture from your computer.

You may refer to the below link and check if it helps.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17144/windows-10-change-desktop-background

Please get back to us with an update on this issue, we will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you.

Karthicka_R, Dec 2, 2018
  3. change desktop background color

Hi,

To change the desktop background into a solid color, see the steps below:

• Right-click on the desktop, and select Personalize.
    • Under Personalization, select Background.
    • On the right pane, click on the drop-down menu for Background, and then select
      Solid color.
    • Choose your preferred color and it should immediately make changes.

Let us know how it goes.

Patricia Yu, Dec 2, 2018
  4. Why did my desktop background change to match a completely different computer?

Slideshow as desktop background.

Hi Marilyn,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to try the steps below and check if it helps.

• Press Windows Logo Key + I. Then click on Personalization.
    • Click on Background to change it.
    For reference:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-change-desktop-background

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Dec 2, 2018
Thema:

Why did my desktop background change to match a completely different computer?

1. Why did my desktop background change to match a completely different computer? - Similar Threads - Why did desktop

2. Desktop background will not change.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop background will not change.: I cannot change my desktop background to anything but black I cannot add any pictures or desktop backgrounds I have checked settings themes and everything I could think of but I cannot find the problem please help*Moved from feedback....
  3. Why will my desktop background photo not change?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why will my desktop background photo not change?: I am trying to change my desktop background to my Dell XPS 13 laptop. I can change my background to a solid color, but cannot change anything relating to photos, not even default photos. I have tried changing the image through settings, file explorer, and right clicking the...
  4. Why will my desktop background photo not change?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why will my desktop background photo not change?: I am trying to change my desktop background to my Dell XPS 13 laptop. I can change my background to a solid color, but cannot change anything relating to photos, not even default photos. I have tried changing the image through settings, file explorer, and right clicking the...
  5. Changing MS account did not change on computer to match

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Changing MS account did not change on computer to match: I had a 3 month overlap for my MS account between an email address I can no longer access and the one that I can. Now I can see my account, family, etc, under the new address on the MS website but my laptop never got the change. It still has the old account and complains I...
  6. Why does my desktop background change by itself?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why does my desktop background change by itself?: Hi everyone, Today, I discover that my desktop background picture changed by itself, and I am wondering if there is something wrong with my Windows system. Does anyone know how to check if my Windows 10 background settings is functioning properly? I need some help with it....
  7. different Desktop wallpaper backgrounds

different Desktop wallpaper backgrounds: Hi guys, So I found out you can set up different desktops on my laptop. I have 3, (one for school, one for other productivity stuff and one for fun/entertainment) Can I set up 3 different wallpapers for each desktop background? I tried using settings and "change my...
  8. Change Desktop Background

Change Desktop Background: I want to change the Desktop Background, I want to put a picture of my granddaughter that I have on my PC https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-desktop-background/26184aba-aed7-4f05-ac92-8ace3ba1f30c
  9. Desktop backgrounds on different machines changing to be the same

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Desktop backgrounds on different machines changing to be the same: Recently I noticed that the desktop backgrounds of my secondary machines have started changing to match my primary machine. This doesn't work well because I have multiple monitors on my primary machine and single monitors on my secondary machines. I use the same Microsoft...
  10. Why is my desktop computer's background image the same as my other desktop computer's...

Why is my desktop computer's background image the same as my other desktop computer's...: Hello, I noticed today that my living room computer's desktop background is the same as my bedroom computer's background. How was the background able to change without me giving it permission? How does my living room computer have access to my other computer? . I had an...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why is background on computer different

2. my windows laptop restarted and my desktop is totally different

3. Why did my desktop background

4. why is my desktop background changing to match my laptop