Windows 10: Why did my upgrade to Win10 fail? I.E. where are the error messages?

Discus and support Why did my upgrade to Win10 fail? I.E. where are the error messages? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I tried the Win10 free update (for users of accessibility features) today on my old Win7 desktop system. I walked away while it was doing its thing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by bob12603, Nov 2, 2017.

1. bob12603 Win User

Why did my upgrade to Win10 fail? I.E. where are the error messages?

I tried the Win10 free update (for users of accessibility features) today on my old Win7 desktop system. I walked away while it was doing its thing because I knew it would take awhile. I checked it from time to time and it seemed to be moving along. But when I returned to it a few hours after it started I was looking at a Win7 login screen. So I thought after I logged on there would be a popup or message of some sort telling me what had gone wrong. Or at least tell me where to find a file of error messages. Nothing. Nada.

Is there a file somewhere which will contain error messages telling me what went wrong?

Thanks, Bob

:)

bob12603, Nov 2, 2017

2. Error message "The Computer Restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error" after System Startup on Windows 10 Recovery

When & why did you do the Recovery?

Did you upgrade to Win10 or...?

Is Win10 RTW installed or is Win10 Insider Preview Build 10565 (or later) installed?

PA Bear - MS MVP, Nov 2, 2017
  3. caribeso Win User
    Where are my contacts in Windows 10?

i did

caribeso, Nov 2, 2017
  4. zbook New Member

Sometimes when you open windows updates and attempt another upgrade there may be information about the failure with an error code.
    If there is no information displayed then you may have to look at the Panther logs.
    The Panther logs by default may be hidden.
    They are full of codes that need to be deciphered or decoded.

You can use file explorer > click view > check hidden items.
    Then enter each of the search files and post the results into the thread using one drive or drop box share links.

Alternatively you can use software that will create an index of all files on the computer and attached drives.
    Instead of waiting for search results they will appear immediately with this software.
    The more characters that you enter the narrower the search results.
    Everything or everything search: voidtools

These are some of the files that you can search for and if found post them into the thread with the one drive or drop box share links. It may take a lot of time to decode the logs and sometimes it may not be possible to find the cause.

C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther
    C:\Windows\Panther
    setuperr.log
    setupact.log
    Setupmem.dmp ..........[$Windows.~bt\Sources\Rollback\setupmem.dmp]
    setupapi.dev.log ..........[$Windows.~bt\Sources\Rollback\setupapi\setupapi.dev.log]
    BlueBox.log
    $Windows.~bt\Sources\Rollback*.evtx

C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\Rollback

BlueBox.log
    $Windows.~bt\Sources\Rollback\setupmem.dmp
    $Windows.~bt\Sources\Rollback*.evtx
    $Windows.~bt\Sources\Rollback\setupapi\setupapi.dev.log

Setupmem.dmp
    setupapi.dev.log
    Event logs (*.evtx)

zbook, Nov 3, 2017
Thema:

1. Why did my upgrade to Win10 fail? I.E. where are the error messages? - Similar Threads - Why did upgrade

2. why my computer is not upgrading? why is it making error message?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why my computer is not upgrading? why is it making error message?: after years i open my computer i see the screen is whole black and at corner there is written this copy is not geniun. windows 7 build 7601. and after this i face another problems that i cannnot update my computer. it shows error and the code i tries many youtube vedio. but...
  3. why my computer is not upgrading? why is it making error message?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    why my computer is not upgrading? why is it making error message?: after years i open my computer i see the screen is whole black and at corner there is written this copy is not geniun. windows 7 build 7601. and after this i face another problems that i cannnot update my computer. it shows error and the code i tries many youtube vedio. but...
  4. Something is wrong at Microsoft. Why did Microsoft upgrade my WIN10 to WIN11 after I...

Something is wrong at Microsoft. Why did Microsoft upgrade my WIN10 to WIN11 after I...: Microshaft informed me that their plan was to upgade my WIN 10 64-bit to WIN11. I specified that I did not want to update at this time. They ignored my request, and migrated my system to WIN11 while I was away - not physically monitoring activity . WHY?...
  5. Something is wrong at Microsoft. Why did Microsoft upgrade my WIN10 to WIN11 after I...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Something is wrong at Microsoft. Why did Microsoft upgrade my WIN10 to WIN11 after I...: Microshaft informed me that their plan was to upgade my WIN 10 64-bit to WIN11. I specified that I did not want to update at this time. They ignored my request, and migrated my system to WIN11 while I was away - not physically monitoring activity . WHY?...
  6. Why did I receive a block messaging on my account?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why did I receive a block messaging on my account?: The message said to call a number in order to rectify this situation. I spoke to someone who gave me their name and ID#. They asked me a series of questions about my laptop, name, email address and phone number. I am writing to verify that this was someone from Microsoft....
  7. Why did I receive a block messaging on my account?

Why did I receive a block messaging on my account?: The message said to call a number in order to rectify this situation. I spoke to someone who gave me their name and ID#. They asked me a series of questions about my laptop, name, email address and phone number. I am writing to verify that this was someone from Microsoft....
  8. Win10 to win11 upgrade fails

Win10 to win11 upgrade fails: When trying to upgrade to win11 i get a driver update error Intel Corporation - Extension - 22.80.1.1 0x80246019. I am running the lastest intel drivers 22.130.0.2. This error only shows during the upgrade. Everything works fine. No problems with bluetooth. I can upgrade to a...
  9. Where did the 1909 upgrade go?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Where did the 1909 upgrade go?: Yesterday I decided that maybe it was time to update my two W10 machines to 1909, after all it has been around for some time already. Booted my desktop (running 1903) and it just finished applying updates. Then I noticed that the "Upgrade to 1909" was not in the Windows...
  10. "Why did my PC restart?" message loop

in Windows 10 Customization
    "Why did my PC restart?" message loop: Hi, After doing sysprep, my PC keep showing "Why did my PC restart?" message even after i have internet connection; the pc keep restarting and the message keep popping up. Please advice....