Windows 10: Why did my USB drive become FAT32 out of thin air?

Discus and support Why did my USB drive become FAT32 out of thin air? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; This post is also a bug report. I have x86 bit windows 10 pro, latest version. No viruses. I was running a git bash command when I got an error in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by displayable person, Nov 21, 2018.

1. Why did my USB drive become FAT32 out of thin air?

This post is also a bug report.

I have x86 bit windows 10 pro, latest version.

No viruses.

I was running a git bash command when I got an error in the command. I had just browsed around the drive normally. The error said "Unknown file system - is the disk drive corrupted?"

I was confused, so I browsed around the drive. The folder took too long to load. Then, the error came. Unknown file system. So I clicked the "Format" button, to see that it would erase the entire drive. When it showed options you could use to format it, it showed the default was FAT32! I was confused. I knew that having a FAT32 drive on NTFS would show some .sys files. I was more wondering how NTFS could INSTANTLY become FAT32.

I updated all drivers (it was something like NTCS family controller)

I then updated windows as I rebooted with the new driver, to get it working.

Now, when I boot up windows, I always get a black background, with some working GUIs, like personalized settings, and a startup program that is simply a bar. Then, personalized settings crashes and file explorer. I know this is because of a failed script, and this has happened once before. I will give an update as to when this stops.

How did this happen?

Are there any fixes?

I am currently trying my last 2 options of third party programs that will keep your files while formatting.

:)

displayable person, Nov 21, 2018

2. Formatting USB drive to FAT32 file in Windows 10

Hi Rom,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

We will help you in resolving your issue.

Before assisting you further, I would like to ask you few questions related to the issue.

Does the issue persist specifically with one USB drive?

Does the USB drive work fine on other devices?

When you tried to format the drive, did you get any error message?

Are you able to view the contents in the USB drive when you connect it to the PC?

To format your USB drive to FAT32, follow the steps below:

Step 1: Connect your USB drive to the device and click on
    Open folder to view files
    option.

Step 2: Right click on your USB drive and click on Format option.

Step 3: From the window, select FAT32 from the drop down bar under
    File system.

Step 4: Click on Start and OK
    to commence the formatting process.

Step 5: Once the formatting is completed click on OK.

Hope this helps!

We will be happy to assist you with any issues pertaining to Windows.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Nov 21, 2018
  3. parelem Win User
    bootable USB drive?

in dos:

diskpart
    list disk
    select disk # //where # = your usb drive
    create partition primary
    select partition 1
    set active
    format fs=fat32 label="whatever"

parelem, Nov 21, 2018
  4. Why did my USB drive become FAT32 out of thin air?

Unable to open files on FAT32 Drives (Do not have permission)

Hi Chad,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft community.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you. I’ll certainly help you with this.

I would like to let you know that Windows 10 doesn't support FAT32 formatted drives. I suggest you to take the back up of the files and format the drive in NTFS format. To do so, follow these steps:

• Connect the USB drive to the computer and right click on it.

• Select format and set the file system to
      NTFS(default).

• Select click on Start to format the USB drive.

• Now, transfer the files to the drive and check if you are able to open the files.

Hope this will help you. Keep us posted with the status of the issue to assist you further.

Thank you.

Azaruddin Syed, Nov 21, 2018
Thema:

Why did my USB drive become FAT32 out of thin air?

1. Why did my USB drive become FAT32 out of thin air? - Similar Threads - Why did USB

2. 64GB usb to FAT32

in Windows 10 Gaming
    64GB usb to FAT32: I'am a dj and dj devices only support fat32. I can format my usb to FAT32 but is this process harmful? or i need a new 32GB usb? can someone help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/64gb-usb-to-fat32/0f612142-3a6b-40df-b864-e1e66189e929
  3. 64GB usb to FAT32

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    64GB usb to FAT32: I'am a dj and dj devices only support fat32. I can format my usb to FAT32 but is this process harmful? or i need a new 32GB usb? can someone help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/64gb-usb-to-fat32/0f612142-3a6b-40df-b864-e1e66189e929
  4. 64GB usb to FAT32

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Converting or formatting a USB flash drive to fat32

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Converting or formatting a USB flash drive to fat32: I either need to reformat or convert a flash drive to fat32. I have read numerous articles and most say go to accessories-system tools-disk converter but there is no disk converter is system tools. I also read an article that says to go to a command prompt and type format X:...
  6. Converting or formatting a USB flash drive to fat32

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Converting or formatting a USB flash drive to fat32: I either need to reformat or convert a flash drive to fat32. I have read numerous articles and most say go to accessories-system tools-disk converter but there is no disk converter is system tools. I also read an article that says to go to a command prompt and type format X:...
  7. Converting or formatting a USB flash drive to fat32

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Formatting 64GB USB Drive to FAT32

Formatting 64GB USB Drive to FAT32: Is this possible? I've read many threads. I followed these steps: B1.Insert the USB flash drive into the USB port. 2.Click Start, type devmgmt.msc in the Search textbox and press Enter. 3.Find Disk Drives and expand it. 4.Find the USB flash drive you want to format, and...
  9. NTFS USB drives not showing in explorer, but FAT32 is

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    NTFS USB drives not showing in explorer, but FAT32 is: For some reason my PC is not showing NTFS formatted disks in explorer. Disk Management will show the drive as a healthy primary partition, but unformatted. It also shows when I click the remove and eject media icon. This is the same for all NFTS drives, and on all the USB...
  10. USB drive can't be formatted to NTFS just FAT32

USB drive can't be formatted to NTFS just FAT32: Hello everyone I have been having this issue for about a day now, I'am trying to format my Kingston Traveler USB drive to NTFS, but in a few seconds windows will report that (Windows was unable to complete the formatting) What is this issue? Why can't I reformat it to NTFS?...