Windows 10: Why did my W10 upgrade revert back to W7 during installation?

Discus and support Why did my W10 upgrade revert back to W7 during installation? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I was just upgrading my Dell Vostro 460 desktop from W7 Pro to W10 Home and towards the end of the process I see that it is removing all updates and it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by graywoulf, Jun 27, 2020.

1. graywoulf Win User

Why did my W10 upgrade revert back to W7 during installation?

I was just upgrading my Dell Vostro 460 desktop from W7 Pro to W10 Home and towards the end of the process I see that it is removing all updates and it reboots back to W7 Pro. I was not watching the monitor as I knew it would take a while so that was quite a surprise. This is not my first W10 upgrade so, I don't know if I missed something or what happened. Help!

:)

graywoulf, Jun 27, 2020
  2. BobiJoBJ Win User

W7 to W10 upgrade

I have tried to upgrade to W10 home premium from my 64-bit W7 home premium operating system on my laptop. I checked that I meet all requirements and have tried everything anyone ever suggested. I wasted 2 days in December 2015, and still failed.

I had no problem in March 2016 upgrading my desktop W7 Ultimate to W10, so I thought I might try again to upgrade my W7 home premium.

I have now wasted another 2 days in March trying to upgrade the laptop. Either it is a problem with my laptop that the Windows Update Trouble-Shooter does not find, or W7 Home Premium (64) will not upgrade to W10. I give up.

BobiJoBJ, Jun 27, 2020
  3. Can't revert from W10 to W7

Hi. Sony don't have any updated drivers for Windows 10 on my laptop (bought with Windows 7 installed) nor do they intend to provide any. I've been on their website and they don't list my laptop never mind about drivers for it (Vaio VPCS11X9E running W7 Professional)

My problem is that in W10 my screen is very dark and difficult to work with. This is why I want to revert back to Windows 7. I understood that I could do this within a month but when I go to the 'revert' screen I get the message

'We're sorry but you can't go back. The files we need to take you back to a previous version of Windows were removed from this PC'

All I've done so far is follow the instructions! Help!

Will I have to do a clean rebuild? If so how do I get hold of a W7 system disc? I'm no geek and getting very worried...

KabaleBabe, Jun 27, 2020
  4. Why did my W10 upgrade revert back to W7 during installation?

W7 to W10 Update Failure

Contacted MS via chat on 2016-08-02 and agent was courteous, and stated that I should have been able to update from W7 to W10 given my issues.

In any case, tried to Remote Desktop with agent, but was unable to do so. Got download link from agent for USB W10 update and...

. Failed 2x to update from W7 to W10 (after apparent W10 update, PC rebooted and reverted back to W7...) using USB thumb drive.

. Decided to do clean install to W10 directly (loosing my W7 setups - no matter for this PC, and I had image backup...) and this time it did work (need to input your License Key Number in order to complete the update)....

Apparently my W7/PC combination was not able to be updated (why? don't know) but it did work doing a clean W10 from USB.

RafaelZorrilla, Jun 27, 2020
Thema:

Why did my W10 upgrade revert back to W7 during installation?

1. Why did my W10 upgrade revert back to W7 during installation? - Similar Threads - Why did W10

2. Upgrading from W7 to W10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading from W7 to W10: I am currently running W7 on an SSD and want to upgrade to W10 on the same hardware. Is this possible? If so, anything special I need to do? I was unable to install the free upgrade when it was available because of the SSD. Thanks....
  3. Why did my W10 upgrade revert back to W7 during installation?

Why did my W10 upgrade revert back to W7 during installation?: I was just upgrading my Dell Vostro 460 desktop from W7 Pro to W10 Home and towards the end of the process I see that it is removing all updates and it reboots back to W7 Pro. I was not watching the monitor as I knew it would take a while so that was quite a surprise. This is...
  4. Upgraded installation of W7 to W10 is less performant

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgraded installation of W7 to W10 is less performant: I have experienced a number of times that an installation of Windows 7 that was upgraded to Windows 10, feels less performant than a Windows 10 installed from scratch on the same hardware. It boots slower and generally has more lag. It is stable though, no bsods or anything....
  5. upgrading w7 to w10

upgrading w7 to w10: hello, this not my first round of trying fix windows over the years. got a older toshiba laptop L755 had windows 7 home prem. i like window 10. stupid me thinking upgrade. what could go wrong ???? made a usb drive boot for window 10. put in the laptop to totally new...
  6. upgrading W7 to W10

upgrading W7 to W10: Hi. This will probably be a common question. My wife uses W7. Does not want W10. I have been told that I can copy my W10 from my PC to a USB stick and install W10 like that on to her Laptop.. Is this possible please. If so, is there any set proceedure like which files to...
  7. Upgrade to W10, roll back to W7, then back to W10 - possible?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrade to W10, roll back to W7, then back to W10 - possible?: Hi there, I have a small net-top running Win7, which is primarily used as a WMC DVR/TV system in my living room. As is well known, WMC is not part of W10, and isn't coming back. I'd like to upgrade to W10 on this machine to try out some other options that are out there....
  8. VIDEO: Upgrading W7 to W10 9926 (and rolled back to W7)

VIDEO: Upgrading W7 to W10 9926 (and rolled back to W7): For those who are thinking about upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10, here's how I did it. I upgraded WIn 7 to Win 10 and then I rolled it back to Win 7 again. Warning: 16mins video from start to finish (you can fast forward at will). Total upgrade and rollback time is about...
  9. Installing W7 updates before upgrading to W10

Installing W7 updates before upgrading to W10: I have had to reinstall my W7 OS and intend to upgrade it to W10. Can I do so without having to download and instal all the previous W7 updates ? 66974
  10. Suddenly Going back to W7 while Installing W10

Suddenly Going back to W7 while Installing W10: I was installing W10 and got that black screen with the big white circle. Then, once it restarted. When it booted again, suddenly a screen came up saying "Attempting to Recover Installation" then saying "Restoring your previous version of Windows....". Why does this happen?...