Windows 10: Why did Windows 10 explorer.exe connect to Akamai?

Discus and support Why did Windows 10 explorer.exe connect to Akamai? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; [img] 23.4.59.27 This is the first time I've seen this. What do you think caused this? 87276 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by blksith0, Jun 20, 2017.

1. blksith0 Win User

Why did Windows 10 explorer.exe connect to Akamai?

Why did Windows 10 explorer.exe connect to Akamai? [​IMG]

This is the first time I've seen this. What do you think caused this?

:)

blksith0, Jun 20, 2017
  2. SateSSA Win User

Windows 10 Upgrade - explorer.exe generating Network Activity

After the WX upgrade which was very smooth, started to note Network Activity with Explorer.exe on checking with the Resource Monitor. Similarly checking with TCPVIEW there are lots of UDP connections with explorer.exe doing remote send and receive.

For completion I did a listing with Process Explorer, similarly there are over 20 remote connections, with SYN_SENT, ESTABLISHED and LISTENING.

As for virus scan I did a Quick Scan with Windows Defender but nothing is showing up and more than that it seems like too elaborate sort of virus for now. I have noted in prior posting going back 5 years there have been reports of explorer.exe corruption
    leading to inappropriate NETWORK ACTIVITY and FIREWALL REQUEST, but wonder if there is more updated information.

SateSSA, Jun 20, 2017
  3. It is asking for You'll need a new app to open this ms-windows store helppppppppppppppp

Why did you think you needed to enter that so many times? What was happening?

In any case, to test if there is a problem with the wsreset.exe command you could alternatively go to the Store from that same cmd window this way:

explorer.exe ms-windows-store:

Note the colon at the end of the app name. It can also be typed to look more like a URL prefix:

explorer.exe ms-windows-store://

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle

---

Robert Aldwinckle on forums, Jun 20, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Uninstall it as it's considered as malware some software installs it and it's used as a p2p to cache data it uses you as a host for other users so it takes all your bandwidth

Samuria, Jun 20, 2017
  5. Explorer can check digital signatures, like for msi installers.
    If you block it, you might get Unverified Publisher in details.

TairikuOkami, Jun 20, 2017
  6. Kari Win User
    Invalid information, bad advice.

Akamai is most definitely not malware. It is a content delivery system used by Microsoft (since 1999) and many other major players. Read more: Akamai Technologies - Wikipedia

A simple way to see how akamaiedge.net addresses are connected to Microsoft is to run Trace Route on your Windows PC.

Run command tracert www.microsoft.com to see it by yourself:

Why did Windows 10 explorer.exe connect to Akamai? [​IMG]

7. blksith0 Win User
    lol @Samuria

Well, I simply blocked explorer.exe
    Cant trust any connections to microsoft, what with all the spyware and such.

blksith0, Jun 21, 2017
  8. Kari Win User

9. blksith0 Win User
    Yeah just bend over and let M$ push you around. Be submissive. Give them all your data.

blksith0, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Why did Windows 10 explorer.exe connect to Akamai? - Similar Threads - Why did explorer

2. Why did my internet connection go to ****?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why did my internet connection go to ****?: So ladies, gentlemen, and inbetweens, I have an issue. A few days ago I decided I hated how disorganized all of my files had become and decided I needed a fresh start. So I did as anyone reasonable would do. Backed up the data I wanted to and did a full wipe, leaving me on a...
  3. Why did my internet connection go to ****?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why did my internet connection go to ****?: So ladies, gentlemen, and inbetweens, I have an issue. A few days ago I decided I hated how disorganized all of my files had become and decided I needed a fresh start. So I did as anyone reasonable would do. Backed up the data I wanted to and did a full wipe, leaving me on a...
  4. Why did Microsoft Change AND RUIN Windows File Explorer Functionality

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why did Microsoft Change AND RUIN Windows File Explorer Functionality: I used to say this was the best Windows version ever. Now, it aggravates me every day! The latest changes to "This Computer" and File Explorer are so annoying. It takes me several additional steps to see what I want. I love the tabs but put the "This Computer" back the way it...
  5. Why did Microsoft Change AND RUIN Windows File Explorer Functionality

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why did Microsoft Change AND RUIN Windows File Explorer Functionality: I used to say this was the best Windows version ever. Now, it aggravates me every day! The latest changes to "This Computer" and File Explorer are so annoying. It takes me several additional steps to see what I want. I love the tabs but put the "This Computer" back the way it...
  6. Why isn't file explorer not opening .exe's?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why isn't file explorer not opening .exe's?: When i try to open any exe files on explorer it does the busy cursor then it doesn't open it? any fixes? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-isnt-file-explorer-not-opening-exes/6a803796-da43-4ab8-b50e-887d4de66ee1
  7. Images not appearing in Windows Explorer(.exe)

in Windows 10 Support
    Images not appearing in Windows Explorer(.exe): Firstly, I apologize advance because..best way describe the reason is... Do not make multiple threads in different sections for the same problem. I don't quite remember if it was here on Ten or Seven Forums, but I searched all my previous posts & threads (both forums) and...
  8. Explorer,EXE

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Explorer,EXE: Please help me find a solution on this message; 'The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation' Hoping someone has a simple solution, Thanks...
  9. Microsoft downloads from Akamai swamping internet connection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Microsoft downloads from Akamai swamping internet connection: Downloads (mainly Windows Updates) from Microsoft via Akamai are swamping my internet connection. I am in a rural area with a dreadfully slow connection (max 1.5 mb/s !), and this unsolicited downloading is using over 1.2 mb/s - whenever the PC is on. PC is Windows 10 Pro...
  10. akamai cookie

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    akamai cookie: Why Windows Defender do not detect Akamai cookie in Edge ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_scanning-windows_10/akamai-cookie/f968f03e-d025-4a3a-92ae-61b842826247
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 explorer.exe connecting to server

2. why file explorere on windows connects to akamai technologies inc