Windows 10: Why did windows 10 reset all of my user preferences?

Discus and support Why did windows 10 reset all of my user preferences? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I logged onto my pc yesterday and I got an error about losing my user info. After going in, all of the aesthetic options, default apps, backgrounds,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MyGuyHonroy, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Why did windows 10 reset all of my user preferences?

I logged onto my pc yesterday and I got an error about losing my user info. After going in, all of the aesthetic options, default apps, backgrounds, desktop setup, certain drivers, logins, and even the data of most applications were deleted. Is this because of a corrupted file?

Thanks, Honroy

:)

MyGuyHonroy, Sep 20, 2019
  2. Arun B J Win User

Windows 10 resets preferences on start up

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to login to safe mode and check if the issue persist.

Step 1: Refer the link below to login to safe mode.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/change-startup-settings-in-windows-10#v1h=tab02

Step 2: To remove the password follow the steps below and check if it helps.

Check and verify if you have unchecked the correct option under correct user in netplwiz. Follow the below given steps and check if issue is resolved:

• Press Windows key + R to open Run.

• Type netplwiz into the Run bar and hit Enter.

• Select the User account you are using under the
      User
      tab.

• Uncheck "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" checkbox and click on
      Apply.

• Sign-out and sign-in again to check.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Arun B J, Sep 20, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Sep 20, 2019
  4. Anna Bon Win User

Why did windows 10 reset all of my user preferences?

Windows Keeps resetting app preferences

Hi DanielGibbons,

We understand that you are having issues with your Windows app preferences. Please answer the questions below so we can assist you further:

• What specific update was applied on your Windows 10?
    • Did it also reset your PC settings configuration, or just the app preferences specifically for videos and picture files?
    • Did you make any changes prior to this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, you can also try the steps below and check if it will work:

1. Perform a clean boot.
    It will start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. Also, it helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program, or an update, or when you run a program in Windows.

2. Once done, try to set again your preferences for videos and picture files.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Anna Bon, Sep 20, 2019
Thema:

Why did windows 10 reset all of my user preferences?

1. Why did windows 10 reset all of my user preferences? - Similar Threads - Why did reset

2. Does factory reset not only resets all user data that I did the factory reset in, but all...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does factory reset not only resets all user data that I did the factory reset in, but all...: I'm planning to factory reset my pc but my roommate is also using this device and has an account on this device, will it also reset my roommate's user data?...
  3. Does factory reset not only resets all user data that I did the factory reset in, but all...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Does factory reset not only resets all user data that I did the factory reset in, but all...: I'm planning to factory reset my pc but my roommate is also using this device and has an account on this device, will it also reset my roommate's user data?...
  4. Does factory reset not only resets all user data that I did the factory reset in, but all...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. why did my sound quit in windows 10 after a reset?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why did my sound quit in windows 10 after a reset?: I accidentally hit "RESET" when I meant to refresh. And after it finished resetting I had no sound. The audio driver won't install what can I do to get my sound back?...
  6. why did my sound quit in windows 10 after a reset?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    why did my sound quit in windows 10 after a reset?: I accidentally hit "RESET" when I meant to refresh. And after it finished resetting I had no sound. The audio driver won't install what can I do to get my sound back?...
  7. why did my sound quit in windows 10 after a reset?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Windows 10 updated and reset all of my settings and preferences.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 updated and reset all of my settings and preferences.: I downloaded newest Windows 10 update today. After my PC restarted, all of my settings were back to default and I lost my favorites in Microsoft Edge. How do I restore this, and why did this happen in the first place??...
  9. Why did some of my settings reset?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why did some of my settings reset?: After I turned on my laptop, I noticed several things. My desktop background went back to the default one, the systemwide app mode switched from dark to light, and so did chrome. Is there any particular windows-related reason for this? Or is it something else?...
  10. Why did Windows 10 mess up all of my hardware?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why did Windows 10 mess up all of my hardware?: So I was forced to downgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 when a Windows 7 update bricked my computer. I say downgrade because I have had many, many more issues with other computers running Windows 10 in mere weeks than I have had with computers running Windows 7 in the span...