Windows 10: Why did Windows 10's latest update brick my PC?

Discus and support Why did Windows 10's latest update brick my PC? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I made the utter mistake of giving into the windows update and allowing my PC to update about 3 days ago, ever since I've found an increasing number of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Skywalker91, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Why did Windows 10's latest update brick my PC?

I made the utter mistake of giving into the windows update and allowing my PC to update about 3 days ago, ever since I've found an increasing number of things broken and non-functional.

- Microsoft's new version of on-screen magnifier... whih I RELY upon to use my PC properly, has had functionality stripped out, including its integration with microsoft's own line of mice: so now I can't use it efficiently.

- I attempted to create a workaround using the programmable keys on my laptop... only to discover that the all-mighty "creator update" disabled that functionality of my computer as well.

- Then today, Windows finally just broke itself and I lost access to my D-drive: all files, programs, and everything else on the drive poof, gone.

I spent 6 HOURS of the precious time I have on Earth with 3 different tech support agents via the "get help" app: NONE of which helped, and one of which made things worse by having me install a keyboard and mouse manager which ALSO **** itself and crashed upon being installed. The only suggestion I got was "oh just roll back before the update" grand; then what? Live forever in fear of the sword of Damocles looming over me; forever threatening to brick my PC again the isntant I leave it unattended for 2 hours or accidentally let it turn off? This is a WINDOWS UPDATE: I CAN'T turn it off; just perpetually postpone my own Russian Roulette round.

Side note: Microsoft: for the love of all that is holy: STOP "staggering" your update roll outs? I had a discussion with someone else who got this flaming bag of dog **** you call an update nearly 6 months ago and I only got it this past week.l I know WHY you do it: it's so you don't get mobbed by all the people who are reasonably pissed off at being basically used as unpaid beta testers for your badly coded tripe. If you want me to beta test: you're going to have to PAY me.

I've since purchased a new PC because frankly I'm afraid this one is going to burst into flames... I assume Microsoft will compensate me the 3000 dollars your refusal to test your own updates cost me? I shan't hold my breath for any REAL help: considering I still have open files form 5 years ago that had no answer because MS pulled a Todd Howard:
    "we aren't planning on doing anything about it."

:)

Skywalker91, Mar 25, 2021
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Mar 25, 2021
  3. MrGenius Win User
    Microsoft to make Windows 10 updates mandatory

Well, at the moment at least, you can choose to defer upgrades. Under Settings > Windows Updates > Advanced options you need to check the box labeled "Defer upgrades". What does that do? Good question. The answer I've found might illuminate it to a degree.

Defer feature updates in Windows 10

I hear this only applies to Pro and Enterprise editions. But I can't verify that.

MrGenius, Mar 25, 2021
  4. NavyLCDR Win User

Why did Windows 10's latest update brick my PC?

NavyLCDR, Mar 25, 2021
Thema:

Why did Windows 10's latest update brick my PC?

1. Why did Windows 10's latest update brick my PC? - Similar Threads - Why did 10's

2. Latest Insider build bricks my PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Latest Insider build bricks my PC: Hello,I installed Windows 11 Insider Preview 10.0.22533.1001 on my PC and it has problems.1, when I log on nothing happens, but it was on a 2nd account and my primary account was gone.2, after a restart it takes a long time to boot, the HDD light was periodically blinking and...
  3. Latest Insider build bricks my PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Latest Insider build bricks my PC: Hello,I installed Windows 11 Insider Preview 10.0.22533.1001 on my PC and it has problems.1, when I log on nothing happens, but it was on a 2nd account and my primary account was gone.2, after a restart it takes a long time to boot, the HDD light was periodically blinking and...
  4. Latest windows optional update bricked my pc

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Latest windows optional update bricked my pc: Good day all. So the latest update as of July 30th 2021Has reduced my pc to getting stuck at the loading logo. I have tried rebooting into safe mode but the pc freezes once again on the Asus logo. I tried uninstalling latest updates on automatic repair. As well as restore...
  5. Latest update bricked my editing/gaming PC.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Latest update bricked my editing/gaming PC.: I updated my computer last night and booted it up this morning and it went smoothly until I logged in. It took me 5-6 times as long to log in. Upon login nothing would open correctly, almost every app gave me an error. Even task manager stopped responding. I manually...
  6. How did I brick my pc?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How did I brick my pc?: I recently downloaded windowsblinds and uninstalled classic shell. Both before restarting my computer when i restarted, my screen was black and my desktop wouldnt load. When i managed to do a rollback and redid it, it basically bricked my pc. It gives me an endless...
  7. Latest May Update Brick my PC

Latest May Update Brick my PC: The latest update bricked my PC...twice. I re installed everything and none repair tools worked. The computer rebooted after the update and is left hanging with the spinning circle Got everything running again, things like reinstalling one drive a complex pain All...
  8. Latest update bricked my pc, can't revert or fix.

Latest update bricked my pc, can't revert or fix.: Yesterday's windows update failed to install and froze at 20% of the way through, upon restarting my computer I'm no longer able to use my computer I get this error upon booting if my computer doesnt immediatly freeze upon booting up "Your pc couldnt turn off properly...
  9. Windows 10 update bricked my pc

Windows 10 update bricked my pc: Windows 10 updated between November 12 and november 13 made my computer inoperable. Calling microsoft they tried safe mode and rolled back to previous day. Now it will not boot into safe mode and my only option is to reinstall Windows 10. What happened to the rollback, is...
  10. Windows 10 update bricked my pc

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 update bricked my pc: Since the last windows patch, every time i download it and update it and restart my pc it bricks my pc and the update doesnt go through. i already reset my pc twice and wiped everything and did a complete reboot; everything worked fine in the beginning until i dowloaded the...