Windows 10: Why did windows allow me to activate 2 computers using 1 license?

Discus and support Why did windows allow me to activate 2 computers using 1 license? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; So, recently I've built a new pc, and I wanted to transfer my digital windows 10 Pro license tied to my account, from the old pc to the new. I've... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Damien M, Jan 21, 2023.

1. Damien M Win User

Why did windows allow me to activate 2 computers using 1 license?

So, recently I've built a new pc, and I wanted to transfer my digital windows 10 Pro license tied to my account, from the old pc to the new. I've clicked on Troubleshoot button in Activation settings on my new pc, clicked on "Recently upgraded components", and it just activated my new pc. All of that is totally right and fine, however my old pc is still activated. Do I need to deactivate it manually? Or is it a totally new license I've received somehow?

:)

Damien M, Jan 21, 2023
  2. Naresh_K Win User

Transfer Windows 10 license to another computer.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Please note that one license key is valid only for one hardware. However you can try the steps mentioned below to check if that helps. Make sure that you have the 25-alpha numeric product key (Retail version). Here are some steps that you can follow:

Step 1: Uninstall the key from your Mac (Bootcamp). To uninstall the license key, follow the steps mentioned bellow:

1. Open command prompt (search CMD on start menu) and run it as administrator.
    2. Then type: slmgr /upk
    3. The following command will uninstall the product key from your Bootcamp partition.

Step 2: Install the product key on new Computer.

1. Open Run (Windows Key + R) and then type: SLUI 3
    2. You will be prompted to enter the product key.
    3. Please type the product key and try to activate it.

Step 3: If step 2 does not work, then you will need to install the product key manually and perform phone activation.

1. Open Command prompt once again and run it administrator.
    2. Then type: slmgr /ipk XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

Note: replace XXXXX with the product key.
    3. Once you receive a confirmation prompt that the product key has been installed.
    4. Close the Command prompt Window.
    5. Now open Run (Windows Key + R) and type SLUI 4.
    6. Then choose your country and click on Next and follow the on screen instructions.

Hope this helps.

Naresh_K, Jan 21, 2023
  3. Troubleshooting Windows Activation / License problems

Technical Level : Basic

Summary
    This Wiki helps you troubleshoot many common Windows Activation problems, such as OEM problems, or common error codes.

Details
    Situations

1. You changed hardware and can no longer activate Windows. (or Windows became non genuine)
    2. You receive one of the following errors when activating Windows
      1. 0xC004F074

0x8007007B
      2. 0x8007232B
      3. 0xD0000010

0xC004C4AA
      4. 0x80072EE2
      5. 0xC004C008

0x8007000D
      6. 0xC0000022
      7. 0x80070424
      8. 0x80072F8F
      9. 0xC004C020
      10. 0xC004C008
      11. 0x80004005

0xC004E003
    Most Common Mistakes.

• You cannot use the Windows 8.1 key to install or download Windows 8.
    • You cannot use the Windows 8 key to install or download Windows 8.1
    • You cannot use an OEM key on any system other than the system it was supplied for.
    • You cannot use a Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 Upgrade Key to clean install Windows (you must upgrade from an older Windows version!)
    • You cannot activate more than one retail code at a time, you can use it multiple times to install.

Glossary

OEM – Original Equipment manufacturer license, this license is generally supplied with your computer when you buy it, as the title says it’s a license that the manufacturer used to activate Windows on your original equipment,
    this license loses its value and will no longer work when you change hardware. More information can be found here:
    Licensing FAQ

Troubleshooting: You changed hardware and can no longer activate Windows

When you’re using a system build by someone else like HP, DELL and so on and you replace vital system parts the supplied OEM license will expire and become invalid. There is nothing you can do about this and there is no way
    to solve this.

To make sure you’re using an OEM license check the sticker located on your system, it should include the tekst OEM or C(O)A.. Microsoft offers no support and it’s best to contact your systems manufacturer.

1. Troubleshooting: 0xC004F074. Software Licensing Service reported that the computer cannot be activated.

This is a common error in Windows 8 and can be solved quite easily in most cases, the steps you have to take to solve the issues are listed below:

1. Open elevated command prompt>
      1. Press the Windows + W key on your keyboard and type
        cmd
        , then right-click Command prompt and choose
        Run as Administrator
      2. Press the Windows + X key on your keyboard and choose Command Prompt (Admin)
    2. Type slmgr.vbs –ipk XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX (Replace the X’es with your 25 digit product key)
    3. Hit Enter
    4. Type slmgr.vbs –ato
    5. Hit Enter
    If this did not fix your problem then read “General Troubleshooting: Windows can’t activate the license.”

2. Troubleshooting: 0x8007232B & 0x8007007B. KMS Host could not be located in domain name system

This error is not common under end-users (consumers) since it’s a KMS error which should only appear on Volume Licensing.

Key management services (KMS) host could not be located in domain name system (DNS), please have your system adminstrator verify that a KMS is published correctly in DNS.

The steps for solving this problem are the same as the steps given for the error 0xC004F074 please read the troubleshooting part for that error. If that did not solve your problem then this link might help you further. Resolve Windows activation error codes

3. Troubleshooting: 0xD0000010 & 0xc004c4aa. Unable to find a detailed error description.

The cause for this problem is a bit vague, its argued that removing any external hard disk, mobile phones and other USB devices from your system solves this issue. Try to remove any of these hardware devices and then reboot
    Windows, it should show up as activated. If this indeed fixed your problem then update your chipset driver, this should solve the problem in most cases permanently.

If this did not fix your problem then read “General Troubleshooting: Windows can’t activate the license.”

4. Troubleshooting: 0x80072EE2. ERROR_INTERNET_TIMEOUT

The problem for this can be caused by Windows Update, run the automatic tool released by Microsoft and let it scan for any problems then solve them all using the program: Wenn nur eine Umarmung genügt .

If this does not work then disable all your firewalls and protection software and try again, be sure to re-enable them all again after successfully activating.

5. Troubleshooting:
    0xc004c008, 0x8007000D.

The fix for this issue is described in "
    General Troubleshooting: Windows can’t activate the license. “ part of this Wiki. Please read that part.

6. Troubleshooting: 0xc0000022 ACCESS DENIED

There are a couple of reasons this error could appear, the first one is that you’re not signed in as Administrator and Windows can’t get access to the activation service.

The second one is corrupted system files, which can be fixed by running the SFC command from an elevated command prompt:”

1. Open elevated command prompt>
      1. Press the Windows + W key on your keyboard and type
        cmd
        , then right-click Command prompt and choose
        Run as Administrator
      2. Press the Windows + X key on your keyboard and choose Command Prompt (Admin)
    2. Type SFC /scannow
    3. Hit Enter
    4. When the scan has finished, try to activate again.

When this does not work, then try to reset your system, if even that fails a complete refresh is the only way to go at this moment (23nd of April 2014).

7. Troubleshooting: 0x80070424 The specified service does not exist as an installed service.

This error is the result of registry damage in most cases, resulting from programs like registry cleaners, it suggested that you remove all of these

programs and use a restore point, system refresh or reset to solve this issue.

8. Troubleshooting: 0x80072F8F A security error occurred.

Very common error within Windows Activating and its caused by wrong time and date settings on the user’s system. Try the following steps to correct your time and date settings:

1. Right click the clock in the right bottom
      corner of the screen
    2. Click on Adjust Time and Date
    3. Click on Change Time and Date
    4. Correct the time and date
    5. Retry the Activation.

Or

1. Open the right charm, and then tap Search. Or press the
      Windows + W key on your keyboard.
    2. Enter date and time in the search box, and then do one of the following:
    3. In Windows 8.1, tap or click Date and time settings.

In Windows 8, tap or click Settings, and then tap or click
      Date and Time.
    4. Correct the Date and Time
    5. Retry the Activation

9. Troubleshooting:
    0xC004C020The activation server reported that the Multiple Activation Key has exceeded its limit

This error should never appear on a consumer its system, its means that a license from the Volume Licensing has been used more times than the Microsoft Software License Terms allow.

Contact the person who sold you this product key. There is no further troubleshooting steps.

10. Troubleshooting: 0xC004C008. The product key has exceeded it’s unlock limit.

The license key used to activate the Windows 8 system has been used to many time and can no longer be used for activating Windows. Refer to the Microsoft Software License Terms for more information.

It’s suggested to buy a key for every system you wish to activate.

11. Troubleshooting: 0x80004005 & 0xC004E003. System Damage

These error occurs when Windows has damaged system files and cannot be solved by using any method. Use a restore point, system refresh (highly recommended) or reset to solve this issue.

General Troubleshooting: Windows can’t activate the license.

Make sure your key meets all the criteria for activating Windows, and make sure to read Most Common Mistakes first.

First, read the instructions for your error code or if it’s not listed then read these steps.

Press the Windows and R
    key at the same time. The run dialog will open.

1. Type “slui.exe 4” in the box (without the “)
    2. Click on Enter
    3. Follow the instructions on the screen.

If you tried this, and the automatic activation did not work, repeat the steps but don’t press any buttons during the call, you will be automatically forwarded to a Support Engineer which could help you
    further.

Yuri Pustjens, Jan 21, 2023
  4. Why did windows allow me to activate 2 computers using 1 license?

Andre Da Costa, Jan 21, 2023
Thema:

Why did windows allow me to activate 2 computers using 1 license?

1. Why did windows allow me to activate 2 computers using 1 license? - Similar Threads - Why did allow

2. Why did windows allow me to activate 2 computers using 1 license?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why did windows allow me to activate 2 computers using 1 license?: So, recently I've built a new pc, and I wanted to transfer my digital windows 10 Pro license tied to my account, from the old pc to the new. I've clicked on Troubleshoot button in Activation settings on my new pc, clicked on "Recently upgraded components", and it just...
  3. Why did windows allow me to activate 2 computers using 1 license?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why did windows allow me to activate 2 computers using 1 license?: So, recently I've built a new pc, and I wanted to transfer my digital windows 10 Pro license tied to my account, from the old pc to the new. I've clicked on Troubleshoot button in Activation settings on my new pc, clicked on "Recently upgraded components", and it just...
  4. why windows is activated with a digital license changed to windows is activated using your...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    why windows is activated with a digital license changed to windows is activated using your...: After I use microsoft toolkit why windows is activated with a digital license changed to windows is activated using your organization? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-windows-is-activated-with-a-digital-license/e269099e-929e-4877-810e-50845f6b606e
  5. why windows is activated with a digital license changed to windows is activated using your...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    why windows is activated with a digital license changed to windows is activated using your...: After I use microsoft toolkit why windows is activated with a digital license changed to windows is activated using your organization? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-windows-is-activated-with-a-digital-license/e269099e-929e-4877-810e-50845f6b606e
  6. set nup 2 printers to 2 computers using 1 modem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    set nup 2 printers to 2 computers using 1 modem: We have 2 computers and have 2 printers but using 1 modem. I set up my computers printer as default printer but cannot set up 2nd computer to own printer.Everytime i print off 2nd computer it prints off my default printer. Cannot find WPS either. Please help...
  7. LOGIN INTO 2 LAPTOPS, 1 allows 1 doesn't why? - I have 365

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    LOGIN INTO 2 LAPTOPS, 1 allows 1 doesn't why? - I have 365: I was asked to change my password which I did. Since then very strange, my new laptop, doesn't allow me to log in saying I have entered an incorrect pin too many times, which I only input my password. Then says try again restart your device, which I have tried many times....
  8. can i use 1 license on 2 pc?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    can i use 1 license on 2 pc?: it's possible? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-use-1-license-on-2-pc/44e8eac4-baa0-4c0f-a7e4-1ec2d7ab7e0a
  9. My computer asks me to 'activate my license" every 2 minutes.

My computer asks me to 'activate my license" every 2 minutes.: The Windows 10 is fairly new to me. I am overwhelmed by the "Actyivate my License" notes that are in front of everything every 2 minutes or so.program My computer guru spent an hour or so trying to make this computer program understand that it is new, and I paid good money...
  10. 2 license keys for 1 account?

2 license keys for 1 account?: Hello all, I recently built a new PC and was going to move my windows 10 key to it from my current one. Instead I was thinking I would just buy a new key since i'm not selling this one but giving it to my brother. Would it be possible to have 2 license keys linked to my...