Windows 10: Why did windows create Program Files folders on all my non-C: drives?

Discus and support Why did windows create Program Files folders on all my non-C: drives? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have a gaming PC, and it has a main drive (C:) with my windows install and all my core programs. I also have 2 NTSF internal storage drives that I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/gbru015, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Why did windows create Program Files folders on all my non-C: drives?

I have a gaming PC, and it has a main drive (CWhy did windows create Program Files folders on all my non-C: drives? :) with my windows install and all my core programs. I also have 2 NTSF internal storage drives that I use to store game install directories.

Today, after 3 years of this setup, I randomly noticed that Windows had installed Program Files, WindowsApps, and WpSystem folders on both the external drives.

• The Program Files folders only have an empty ModifiableWindowsApps folder in them.
    • The WindowsApps folders I am not even allowed to open.
    • And the WpSystem folders have a pretty deep heirarchy of AppData directories that ultimately link to some Microsoft Flight Simulator and Microsoft Digital Ownership nonsense in them.

Possibly related - I did recently install Microsoft Flight Simulator via Xbox Gamepass, and there's no way (annoyingly) in that app to specify and install directory. So I just assumed it installed it on the main drive (CWhy did windows create Program Files folders on all my non-C: drives? :) somewhere.

Anyone know why this is happening? Its not really the end of the world, but I like my storage drives nice and organized, and all these folders are irritating, especially since they are empty.

I do not have permissions to delete them

submitted by /u/gbru015
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/gbru015, Sep 28, 2020
  2. Anusha Win User

C windows installer folder - Delete?

He can do symbolic link redirection and move the files in it to a different location. *Wink Why did windows create Program Files folders on all my non-C: drives? ;)
    Better try it out in a virtual of first. Just a suggestion.

Like:
    First move everything in c:\windows\installer to d:\installercache
    Then delete c:\windows\installer folder
    Then type this in command mode as admin
    mklink /d c:\windows\installer d:\installercache

Removing those installer files is a bad idea. it might prevent you from updating or uninstalling apps.

Anusha, Sep 28, 2020
  3. gs99 Win User
    User folders in root C: drive

In my new Windows 10, these folders were generated:

• Intel
    • PerfLogs
    • Program Files
    • Program Files (x86)
    • Users
    • Windows
    Is there a policy of users generating new folders in this root C: drive?

On my old W7 PC I had several folders in C:, providing a shorter path for applications.

E.g. Is there an advantage when new Windows software is installed?

4. _33
    _33 Win User

Why did windows create Program Files folders on all my non-C: drives?

I want to move "Program Files"

I thank you for the first suggestion, and thank you even more with the more interesting second suggestion, where I won't need to play with registry entries and messing around with the various ways windows is organized from it's root structure.

I haven't yet got the courage to MOVE my programs files to another drive but the setup I'm in is ready to do so. Thoe, the idea of creating a shortcut on the C: for the Program Files that would be located on another drive really seemed like something simple, and that could work. It's like those programs that are located on the start menu, they are shortcuts to the executable. Or the various folders that are shortcuts to other folders. I can see that in Program Files where some microsoft folders are just shortcuts to the real content located on the Windows directory.

If I need to try this tool you are talking about, then I'll do it tomorrow. I'll put this on the ice for now. But it's all interesting stuff none the less.

EDIT: I just tried something. I created a shortcut on the C: of a directory located on my F: drive called _stuff. I now have C:_stuff which is a shortcut to the real directory on the F:. I move a file from C: called ip.txt into the shortcut C:_stuff. That works. Yet, if I search my C: drive for ip.txt, it will not find it in the shortcut.

Thema:

Why did windows create Program Files folders on all my non-C: drives?

1. Why did windows create Program Files folders on all my non-C: drives? - Similar Threads - Why did create

2. C Drive Creating Download Folder?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    C Drive Creating Download Folder?: So I changed my default storage from C drive to my own external hard drive for everything. When I download an image it automatically pops up in the hard drive, but when I download a video or anything that i cant "save as", say a video from Google drive for example, it...
  3. Windows keeps creating Program Files folder on second drive.

Windows keeps creating Program Files folder on second drive.: I have a second drive that i use for games and windows keeps creating this folder everytime I boot my pc. Theres nothing in it but I can't get rid of it. Is there anyway to make it stop? submitted by /u/Maxilos9999 [link] [comments]...
  4. Why suddenly there is Authenticated Users coming for all files and folders in my C drive?

Why suddenly there is Authenticated Users coming for all files and folders in my C drive?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/sfksuperman [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hkkjyp/why_suddenly_there_is_authenticated_users_coming/
  5. Why suddenly there is Authenticated Users coming for all files and folders in my C drive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why suddenly there is Authenticated Users coming for all files and folders in my C drive?: Earlier i had only SYSTEM, Administrators & Users where administrators and users have my name. But ever since I have swapped my hdd with ssd and put my hdd into caddy in place of disk drive and migrated my OS from hdd to ssd, I see here that both my C and D drives have by...
  6. Why did one drive delete all my files.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why did one drive delete all my files.: Thankfully I made a Local back up of my source code. Please would somebody at Microsoft tell me why, when i canceled OneDrive that i didn't ask for back upin the middle of it to save on bandwidth did it delete all my local files resulting an incomplete backup, resulting in...
  7. Moving installed programs from a non-C drive to C drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving installed programs from a non-C drive to C drive: I recently invested in a 256GB SSD to replace my old mechanical 1TB HDD. The SSD is obviously much smaller than my old HDD, so a while ago (in anticipation of this upgrade) I split my C: drive in to two (a C:\ and an S:\ drive), and symlinked a load of programs/games/etc.,...
  8. Moving installed programs from a non-C drive to C drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving installed programs from a non-C drive to C drive: I recently invested in a 256GB SSD to replace my old mechanical 1TB HDD. The SSD is obviously much smaller than my old HDD, so a while ago (in anticipation of this upgrade) I split my C: drive in to two (a C:\ and an S:\ drive), and symlinked a load of programs/games/etc.,...
  9. Creating new non-synching storage folder for documents on C: drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Creating new non-synching storage folder for documents on C: drive: Hello: I've recently synched all my documents in my Documents directory with OneDrive. This changed the pathway of all files/folders there from C:\Users\Username\Documents to C:\Users\Username\OneDrive\Documents I don't wish to synchronize all my document folders. Just...
  10. Why did windows 10 create a "File History" folder on my External HDD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Why did windows 10 create a "File History" folder on my External HDD: When I upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 the experience seemed to be good. I am having my doubts now. I am confused concerning the following two issues. 1. It seems now that I am not recognized as the administrator of this PC. I am the only user, I am given a message that tells...