Windows 10: Why did Windows create virtual drives for videos?

Discus and support Why did Windows create virtual drives for videos? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; A friend sent me video files that were disc image .vob files. When I opened them, they created two virtual drives on my computer, E: and F: Now those... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/TempAccount04102019, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Why did Windows create virtual drives for videos?

A friend sent me video files that were disc image .vob files. When I opened them, they created two virtual drives on my computer, E: and F: Now those drive are still listed in My Computer. Can I delete them, or will that delete the videos?

submitted by /u/TempAccount04102019
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/TempAccount04102019, Jul 28, 2020
  2. Noor_Azam Win User

Unable to create virtual hard drive

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

As you are trying to create a virtual machine, you can try creating a virtual hard disk manually by using PowerShell command and check if that helps.

Please follow the steps mentioned below to create virtual hard disk.

• Type PowerShell in the Windows start menu.
    • Right click on PowerShell and select run as administrator.
    • Please enter this command New-VHD "C:\Hyper-V\Virtual Machines\Drive1.vhdx" –size 60GB –dynamic
      and hit enter key. (Note: you can change the size of the virtual hard drive according to your requirement)
    • Open Disk Management.
    • Click on Action and select
      Attach VHD.​
    • Click on Browser and navigate to the location
      C:\Hyper-V\Virtual Machines and select drive1 and click on
      Open.​
    • Click on OK.​
    • Now, right click on Disk 1 and select
      Initialize Disk.​
    • Select the Type of partition you want to use and click on
      OK.​
    • Now, right click on unallocated space and click on
      New Simple Volume.​
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to assign a
      drive letter.

If the issue persists, I suggest you to post your query in TechNet
    forums
    , where we have support professionals who are well equipped with the knowledge to create virtual machines.

Hope it helps.

Noor Azam S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Noor_Azam, Jul 28, 2020
  3. Help, cant create windows image

Hello there, @fullinfusion!

It seems like some sort of an OS confusion has happened with your secondary WD Black and I'm sorry to hear about that. *Frown Why did Windows create virtual drives for videos? :(
    Maybe re-formatting it would help indeed as the community already mentioned. I'd suggest to take a look at this step-by-step how to partition and format an HDD: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=PYCoid
    Keep in mind that this will wipe clean the drive, so you should backup all important data from the drive somewhere else.
    I noticed from the screenshots that your HDD appears as Disk 0, this means that it's plugged in the primary SATA port where the SSD (as an OS drive) should be. Actually it is possible that because of this Windows cannot create the image there. Swap the ports of the SSD and the HDD, this might help as well.

Keep me posted. Hope this helped! *Smile Why did Windows create virtual drives for videos? :)
    SuperSoph_WD

SuperSoph_WD, Jul 28, 2020
  4. Why did Windows create virtual drives for videos?

Windows 98 problem

why not try to use virtual PC and emulate windows 98 on a XP machine or did someone already suggest that?

brandonwh64, Jul 28, 2020
Thema:

Why did Windows create virtual drives for videos?

1. Why did Windows create virtual drives for videos? - Similar Threads - Why did create

2. How do you create a Virtual Floppy Drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do you create a Virtual Floppy Drive?: I need to know how to create a VFD on windows 11. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-you-create-a-virtual-floppy-drive/5a2256f0-389d-4fe9-a7bd-d6386206e091
  3. How do you create a Virtual Floppy Drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do you create a Virtual Floppy Drive?: I need to know how to create a VFD on windows 11. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-you-create-a-virtual-floppy-drive/5a2256f0-389d-4fe9-a7bd-d6386206e091
  4. Virtual Hard Drive suddenly created

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Virtual Hard Drive suddenly created: Out of the blue, there is suddenly an F: VHD appears in my list of drives. I didn't create this. When I first saw it there was a 'Lock' icon on the drive icon and it asked for my Bitlocker key. I don't have Bitlocker. Without thinking it through, I formatted the F: drive and...
  5. Virtual Hard Drive suddenly created

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Virtual Hard Drive suddenly created: Out of the blue, there is suddenly an F: VHD appears in my list of drives. I didn't create this. When I first saw it there was a 'Lock' icon on the drive icon and it asked for my Bitlocker key. I don't have Bitlocker. Without thinking it through, I formatted the F: drive and...
  6. Virtual Hard Drive suddenly created

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Virtual Hard Drive suddenly created: Out of the blue, there suddenly an F: VHD appears in my list of drives. I didn't create this. When I first saw it there was a 'Lock' icon on the drive icon and it asked for my Bitlocker key. I don't have Bitlocker. Without thinking it through, I formatted the F: drive and now...
  7. What is TAP Windows Adapter, why did Windows 10 create it and why did it slow down my...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What is TAP Windows Adapter, why did Windows 10 create it and why did it slow down my...: Hi, I recently did a fresh install of Windows 10 and after some time I noticed my internet speed was slowing down considerably. All other devices connected to the network had good internet speed except the Windows computer. I had a look in the network settings and found my...
  8. Why did windows create Program Files folders on all my non-C: drives?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why did windows create Program Files folders on all my non-C: drives?: I have a gaming PC, and it has a main drive (C:) with my windows install and all my core programs. I also have 2 NTSF internal storage drives that I use to store game install directories. Today, after 3 years of this setup, I randomly noticed that Windows had installed...
  9. Unable to create virtual hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to create virtual hard drive: When I create virtual machines this what happens. Please fix this? [IMG] ***Modified tittle from: Hyper-V *** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-create-virtual-hard-drive/7d955e69-604a-4ef0-8aa3-17562973abd7
  10. How did account "defaultuser0" get created? Why?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How did account "defaultuser0" get created? Why?: I notice that there's an account called "defaultuser0" on my Win 10 computer. It's not available at the login screen. It does not show up in the User Accounts control panel. But it does show up in file/folder permissions. For example, running command line "icacls" on the...