Windows 10: Why do apps need access to communicate through firewalls?

Discus and support Why do apps need access to communicate through firewalls? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I recently downloaded Unity and it wants me to allow access through the firewall. I trust it and I allowed it through private networks but I don't... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by TsavoCole14, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Why do apps need access to communicate through firewalls?

I recently downloaded Unity and it wants me to allow access through the firewall. I trust it and I allowed it through private networks but I don't understand why I need to do this. What does Unity need to have from my computer that my firewall blocks? And not just unity but also all apps. Take chrome for example, it wants access to communicate through private or public networks. What does this mean to begin with?

:)

TsavoCole14, Feb 20, 2019
  2. John Sarc Win User

Windows Firewall blocks App Store from downloading new apps

Hi,

Let's try to check if the app store you're referring to if it's really blocked by Windows Firewall. See these steps:

• Open Windows Firewall from the taskbar >
      Firewall & network protection
      > Allow an app through firewall.
    • A new window will show up containing the list of the apps that ca be allowed through Firewall.
    • Look for the app you want to be accessed, and make sure that the Domain, Private and Public are ticked. That would allow the app store to be accessed.

Let us know what happens after doing the suggestion.

John Sarc, Feb 20, 2019
  3. Jomel Ber Win User
    Restraint trafic and applications to access internet with Firewall when connected with Dial Up SAT connexion

Hi,

To address this concern, we suggest that you follow these steps on how to block apps and programs from accessing network connection through Windows Firewall:

• Open Control Panel and click System and Security.
    • On the Windows Firewall page, select Allow a program through Windows Firewall.
    • Uncheck the box to the left of the application names to disallow them from accessing network connection.
    • If other programs are not listed, just click Allow another program/app button to add them.

Let us know how it goes.

Thank you.

Jomel Ber, Feb 20, 2019
  4. Steeboo Win User

Why do apps need access to communicate through firewalls?

Windows Firewall - how to allow access

I believe that my firewall is blocking access to Family Tree Maker / Ancestry / MacKiev SYNC - I can't see any reference to any of these names in the allowed list ....

I can't see any way of adding to the allowed list

Any suggestions ?

Steeboo, Feb 20, 2019
Thema:

Why do apps need access to communicate through firewalls?

1. Why do apps need access to communicate through firewalls? - Similar Threads - Why apps need

2. Why is Windows apps still communicating after the application of a firewall?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is Windows apps still communicating after the application of a firewall?: My computer communicates with this IP 202.163.98.43 through SearchApp after blocking incoming & outgoing firewall blocking. Why is Windows still communicating this IP after the application of a firewall?Is this safe or not? Why is the firewall not working?...
  3. Why is Windows apps still communicating after the application of a firewall?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is Windows apps still communicating after the application of a firewall?: My computer communicates with this IP 202.163.98.43 through SearchApp after blocking incoming & outgoing firewall blocking. Why is Windows still communicating this IP after the application of a firewall?Is this safe or not? Why is the firewall not working?...
  4. Why is Windows apps still communicating after the application of a firewall?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Allow apps to communicate through windows defender firewall

Allow apps to communicate through windows defender firewall: Hi,Can someone clarify something for me as simply as possible ?Can I disable WLAN Service- WFD application services Platform Coordination Protocol and WLAN Service- WFD Services Keenel Mode Driver Rules from “list of allowed apps to communicate through Windows defender...
  6. Allow apps to communicate through Windows Defender Firewall Greyed out under administrator...

Allow apps to communicate through Windows Defender Firewall Greyed out under administrator...: [ATTACH] Hello how can I disable the remote desktop ports that are open and greyed out? I turned off Remote desktop, I also have it disabled under Group Policy settings however today this is now greyed out and locked as turned on after Windows updates are pushed down. This...
  7. "Allow apps to communicate through Windows Defender Firewall" requires public access on a...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "Allow apps to communicate through Windows Defender Firewall" requires public access on a...: Hello, I am currently running Windows 10 Pro Build 1909. I am developing a cross-platform application that communicates with my Windows machine over LAN and only references private IP addresses. However, in order to allow the application to connect to the Windows machine,...
  8. Why cant I allow an app through Windows Firewall

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why cant I allow an app through Windows Firewall: [IMG] I can't click on " Change settings" I'm singed in as the built in Administrator account. https://preview.redd.it/z9hgjdzl2vv41.png?width=1124&format=png&auto=webp&s=625170b840eaf6847a4ec84676f0f52b0a220a08 submitted by /u/woubulbus [link] [comments]...
  9. apps through firewall

in Windows 10 Customization
    apps through firewall: please tell me is it safe to have all boxes checked , public and private apps that can communicate through firewalls? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/apps-through-firewall/2e837977-a4b0-4db9-9938-01f52f37d5cd
  10. Permission to communicate through firewall

Permission to communicate through firewall: How do you determine which App is legitimate communicating through the firewall (privately vs publicly). I notice some which concerns me greatly... a string of capital letters and numbers...