Windows 10: why do files get filled with NUL characters?

Discus and support why do files get filled with NUL characters? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; why does OneDrive fill a file with NUL characters?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by TAB4217, Mar 5, 2021.

1. TAB4217 Win User

why do files get filled with NUL characters?

why does OneDrive fill a file with NUL characters?

:)

TAB4217, Mar 5, 2021
  2. Arnie Est Win User

Is there a key to delete character ahead of the cursor?

Hello Stephen,

As of the moment, deleting the characters next to the cursor is unavailable. You can only delete characters by moving the cursor to the right side. You can always send a suggestion via Feedback Hub app so that it can be added or included on the next update.

To send a feedback on your phone, you can follow the steps below:

1. Go to All Apps, search for the Feedback
      Hub app.
    2. Open the menu icon at the top left side.
    3. Select Feedback, then at the top right side, tap the
      add
      button (+).
    4. Select Suggestion and fill up the box with the details of the feature you want to be added on Windows phone.
    5. Select the right category for the suggestion and then submit.

Should you need more help, feel free to ask the Community.

Arnie Est, Mar 5, 2021
  3. "Chinese Characters" program delaying shutdown - a different approach.

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

• As you have mentioned this happens only in the Admin account, is it local account set as admin account or the Microsoft account?
    I would suggest you to check the all apps list and check if that Chinese character app is present.

After you try the above steps and share us the results what happens we can proceed with the further suggestions.

Please post us back with the results after troubleshooting the above steps and check.

Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Mar 5, 2021
  4. why do files get filled with NUL characters?

Character Map

Hi Susan,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To have better clarity on the issue, answer the below listed questions and get back to us.

1. Did you make any changes to the PC prior to this issue?
    2. Does this issue occur on Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer, or any other browser?
    3. Once the text disappears, are you able to undo that by press the 'Ctrl' key and the 'Z' key from your keyboard?

Meanwhile, try the below troubleshooting steps:

Method 1: Check if your Windows is Up-to-date.

Go to Settings > Update and Security >
    Windows Updates and install all the Windows Updates if there are any.

Method 2: Use a different browser

Use a different browser to access Gmail and see if you are facing the same issue.

Method 3: Adding the characters manually from Character Map.

Step 1: Click on the
    Start Menu and search for Character Map and hit
    Enter.

Step 2: Once the
    Character Map launches, look for the character that you want to add >
    Select that character and click on Copy.

Step 3: Go to the email that
    you want to add the character and paste the character by pressing the ‘Windows’ key and the ‘V’ key from your keyboard and see if the characters are disappearing.

​Hope it helps.

Shafeeq_Khan, Mar 5, 2021
Thema:

why do files get filled with NUL characters?

1. why do files get filled with NUL characters? - Similar Threads - why files filled

2. Why is my storage space keep getting filled up?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is my storage space keep getting filled up?: I have tried everything I have spent hours trying to free up space and everytime I delete an app or file or anything the storage keeps coming back. I don't know what to do anymore please help me!...
  3. Why is my storage space keep getting filled up?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is my storage space keep getting filled up?: I have tried everything I have spent hours trying to free up space and everytime I delete an app or file or anything the storage keeps coming back. I don't know what to do anymore please help me!...
  4. NUL device is suddenly broken.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NUL device is suddenly broken.: After upgrade to Win10 version 22H2, the NUL device suddenly is not working any more. I have many programs that do this to avoid the user's seeing File Not Found errors etc. The error is "Access is denied". This happens even when I'm admin. What did Microsoft do this time?...
  5. NUL device is suddenly broken.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    NUL device is suddenly broken.: After upgrade to Win10 version 22H2, the NUL device suddenly is not working any more. I have many programs that do this to avoid the user's seeing File Not Found errors etc. The error is "Access is denied". This happens even when I'm admin. What did Microsoft do this time?...
  6. NUL device is suddenly broken.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Input area automatically filled with character 6

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Input area automatically filled with character 6: It just started happening yesterday on my laptop with Window 10. When I left clicked the mouse or typed something in any input area, it automatically filled with the charterer 6 until the input field is full. Examples:1. Double click to open notepad - Once notepad is open,...
  8. Why do private characters not work?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why do private characters not work?: They either show up as tofu or create glitches. I have made the most conservative characters possible in a variety of ways and it still doesn't work. I am trying this in Word....
  9. Why is my trmporsry file folder filling up ?

Why is my trmporsry file folder filling up ?: My PC is adding files to the following folder c:\users\name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Inetcache\IE\ at an alarming rate, and I have no idea how or why it is happening. For example I left it inactive apart from background tasks and unattended for 45 minutes, and over...
  10. Unwanted auto fill of letters, numbers and characters

Unwanted auto fill of letters, numbers and characters: After 10 -15 minutes into work on either a Word document or an XL spreadsheet I get random characters populating whatever I am working on. I have just run a scan to make sure I don't have any malware. Please help if you can....