Windows 10: Why do files with dashes sort strangely on windows 10?

Discus and support Why do files with dashes sort strangely on windows 10? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Can you explain the logic behind filename sorting on Windows 10 Pro Build 1809? The - character seems to be the most problematic as you can see -, -_... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Jonathan Rys, Dec 15, 2019.

1. Why do files with dashes sort strangely on windows 10?

Can you explain the logic behind filename sorting on Windows 10 Pro Build 1809?

The - character seems to be the most problematic as you can see -, -_ and -a have quite a few other letters between them. Also, a-_bc should come between a-_abc and a_bc I would think. And I don't like how -, (2) comes before -, but that is a different issue.

Why do files with dashes sort strangely on windows 10? 77f9cd6d-2a1d-46db-ba27-4f5aca618052?upload=true.png

:)

Jonathan Rys, Dec 15, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Dec 15, 2019
  3. cereberus Win User
    Sorting with File Explorer.

I tried the method that was complicated (3rd option) but fell over in second step as I could not find any "apply to folder button"'.

However, the simple put *.* in search bar, then sort results windows by date does the trick. It is slightly cumbersome as I have to do that each time I am selecting files (to upload to sharepoint) but a lot less hassle than I was having to scroll up and down between sorted file block and sorted folder block.

Many thanks.

M.

cereberus, Dec 15, 2019
  4. Why do files with dashes sort strangely on windows 10?

sorting jpg files

Hi

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Could you let us know, are you trying to sort in files in Explorer or Photos app?

If you are sorting in explorer, follow the steps mentioned below.

1. Open the folder in which files are stored.
    2. Right click on empty space of window.
    3. Select Sort by and click on
      Type

If you are trying to sort in Photos app by extension, we would suggest you to provide your feedback in
    Send feedback to Microsoft with the Feedback Hub app
    as there is no option available to sort by extension in the app. However you can sort by Modified, Newest, Oldest, and Alphabetical.

If you want to look only for the files with .jpg extension in photos app, you may type
    *.jpg in the search bar.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking Yes or No.

Manjunath H

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Manjunath_H, Dec 15, 2019
Thema:

Why do files with dashes sort strangely on windows 10?

1. Why do files with dashes sort strangely on windows 10? - Similar Threads - Why files dashes

2. File Sorting

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Sorting: Can some explain to me why two folders, both created just using CTRL+SHIFT+N sort the files differently *EDIT- some folders have been created using the 'New Folder' option when sharing a copy of files from Adobe Scan to Google Drive on an Android Phone*? I want the files to...
  3. File Sorting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Sorting: Can some explain to me why to folders, both created just using CTRL+SHIFT+N sort the files differently? I want the files to be sorted by name, disregarding the file type. How can I do this?...
  4. File sorting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File sorting: I have a folder on a drive that has multiple sub-folders. I want to search the entire folder including sub-folders and sort the results individual files in a particular order date, size, file type, etc..How can I do that?...
  5. File sorting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File sorting: I have a folder on a drive that has multiple sub-folders. I want to search the entire folder including sub-folders and sort the results individual files in a particular order date, size, file type, etc..How can I do that?...
  6. File sorting

in Cortana
  7. File sorting

File sorting: Re the sorting of files. I am not given the option of choosing A to Z, just the normal Name, Date modified, Type etc. So how do I get out of the sorting A to I, H to P and Q to Z? - for those who did not see my original question....
  8. Very strange folder behavior. File sorting problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Very strange folder behavior. File sorting problem: Hello, Here is a video of the problem: [media] It actually shows 2 problems but I fixed the second one. Now I'm trying to fix the sorting problem. Please help! 174145
  9. Not sorting files

Not sorting files: My wife wants to arrange pictures in a file in windows 10 but not with any criteria laid out in any of the items in the "sort by" list how can we do this please https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/not-sorting-files/f38b6235-dc66-4962-904a-ab575a956f04
  10. windows 10 strange file

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    windows 10 strange file: Hi every one i have a file call uklog.dat on the root of drive c :\. anyone knows how its create and whats for? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-strange-file/31e73a20-6b9c-44d7-bb10-f71d991a6d1d"

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to open ._BC files

2. file explorer how handles hyphen en dash