Windows 10: Why do I find multiple copies of the same file in my File History Directory ?

Discus and support Why do I find multiple copies of the same file in my File History Directory ? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm finding multiple copies of the same files in my File History Backup Directory ? Have I missed a switch ?? I don't have a lot of storage and I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ElliotLake68, Feb 2, 2020.

1. Why do I find multiple copies of the same file in my File History Directory ?

I'm finding multiple copies of the same files in my File History Backup Directory ? Have I missed a switch ?? I don't have a lot of storage and I thought duplicate files would be skipped automagically. ANy advice would be appreciated. Ell

:)

ElliotLake68, Feb 2, 2020

2. Script can copy file directory in one spot but not the other

Haha yeah its fred. sorry its 8am and my mind isnt fully functional yet. There is an error along side the one my script posts: No such file or directory at script line 20.(which is the copy line). I pointed the script to one of the sub directories exactly, still wouldnt copy. I created a new sub dir, and copied some of the files from the main directory into the new directory, those wouldnt copy either.

script:
    Code: #!/usr/bin/perl -w use strict; use warnings; use File::Find; use File::Copy; my $directory="..\\..\\doc\\xsd"; find (\&subr, $directory); sub subr { foreach ($File::Find::name=~/(.*)\.xsd$/) { my $filetobecopied = $File::Find::name; my $newfile = $1 . ".origxsd"; copy($filetobecopied, $newfile) or die "$File::Find::name cannot be copied $!"; chmod 0777, $File::Find::name; open (FILE, "<", $File::Find::name) or die "Cannot open file $!"; print $File::Find::name. "\n"; local $/; my $file=<FILE>; $f=~s/<!--[\w\W^]*?-->//gi; close FILE; open (OUT, ">", $File::Find::name) or die "Cannot write to file $!"; print OUT $f; close OUT; chmod 0444, $File::Find::name; } }[/quote] thanks kreij

Hybrid_theory, Feb 2, 2020
  3. Draclvr Win User
    File History Making Multiple Copies of Files

So, neilpzz's suggestions did not work. Does anyone else have any suggestions for why my File History keeps making multiple copies of files every hour - or whatever interval I have specified. Like all day long... In one day, my 1 GB exterior drive had
    over 600 GB of data on it - all copies.

Draclvr, Feb 2, 2020
  4. Why do I find multiple copies of the same file in my File History Directory ?

File History Not Copying All Files and Directories

I have windows 10 version 1803, and noticed today that the directory structure set up on my external hard drive by File History is different to the directory structure it is supposed to be copying across, in that there are many sub-directories missing.
    Some of the missing subdirectories have names like 2018_06_05, but some have copied over and others haven't. Therefore my file history is incomplete, and therefore pointless as a source of comfort that my files are backed up. Is there a solution to this
    please? I am thinking to try to reformat the external hard drive then run file history again from scratch to see if it builds the correct directory structure.

Graham_830, Feb 2, 2020
Thema:

Why do I find multiple copies of the same file in my File History Directory ?

1. Why do I find multiple copies of the same file in my File History Directory ? - Similar Threads - Why find multiple

2. Copying files into WindowsApps directory

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Copying files into WindowsApps directory: Hello, I want to copy some files into game directory in WindowsApps, but firstly I have access denied, so I have changed permission for every user. Now I have got access to that directory, but I cannot copy any files into it. Everytime it says that I don't have right...
  3. Why robocopy only copy directories but not files?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why robocopy only copy directories but not files?: I've tried robocopy to directories of programs, However, when I see the consequences, only directories were copied but program files weren't copied. But when I pick exe files to copy, then it is copiedWhy is that, and is there any way to solve this?Here is the command I...
  4. Why robocopy only copy directories but not files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why robocopy only copy directories but not files?: I've tried robocopy to directories of programs, However, when I see the consequences, only directories were copied but program files weren't copied. But when I pick exe files to copy, then it is copiedWhy is that, and is there any way to solve this?Here is the command I...
  5. Why robocopy only copy directories but not files?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Trying to move/copy multiple files to new directory

in Windows 10 Support
    Trying to move/copy multiple files to new directory: For a couple of decades I have copied or moved multiple files at a time by holding down the SHIFT KEY, selecting the files, them moving or copying. I don't know if it is the newer faster machines or Widows sensitivity or just in a hurry to get ahead of me and OPENING the...
  7. File History Backup making multiple copies

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History Backup making multiple copies: Have a 1TB BU external drive that I noticed was getting filled up.<br>Found one of the problems in my "File History" where I saw multiple copies of the same data.<br>I've attached a small sample of one section of "File History" and the "Properties of 1 of the multiple files,...
  8. Find File History

Find File History: I am using a data recovery tool to restore my Windows 10 File History, but seem to lack knowing where in The Windows 10 files I might track it down. How and where might a recovery tool find it, even most broadly speaking?...
  9. Copying files into WindowsApps directory

Copying files into WindowsApps directory: Hello, I want to copy some files into game directory in WindowsApps, but firstly I have access denied, so I have changed permission for every user. Now I have got access to that directory, but I cannot copy any files into it. Everytime it says that I don't have right...
  10. File History Not Copying All Files and Directories

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History Not Copying All Files and Directories: I have windows 10 version 1803, and noticed today that the directory structure set up on my external hard drive by File History is different to the directory structure it is supposed to be copying across, in that there are many sub-directories missing. Some of the missing...