Windows 10: Why do I get the message "Network Discovery is turned off" when it is on?

Discus and support Why do I get the message "Network Discovery is turned off" when it is on? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Network Discovery is turned on on my computer. I am continually receiving the message "Network Discovery is turned off". Why does this error message... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JNygrenMN, Nov 9, 2018.

1. JNygrenMN Win User

Why do I get the message "Network Discovery is turned off" when it is on?

Network Discovery is turned on on my computer. I am continually receiving the message "Network Discovery is turned off". Why does this error message keep popping up? See the screen-shot below to see what I'm dealing with.

Why do I get the message "Network Discovery is turned off" when it is on? 86f11c6c-0a1e-4c2f-a983-de5ae14cb07c?upload=true.png

:)

JNygrenMN, Nov 9, 2018

2. Cannot keep Network Discovery Enabled.

Hi,

Thank you for the response.

I would suggest that you change the settings in the Firewall to allow Network discovery so that the Firewall stays On while allowing the Network discovery to be enabled.

Follow the steps.

a . Open Control panel.

b. Small icons from the drop down.

c. Click on Windows Firewall.

d. Click on Allow programs or feature through Firewall.

e. Scroll the list and check Network Discovery.

If you need additional assistance then let us know.

Ruth Buruga, Nov 9, 2018
  3. Network Discovery Spotty

Hello,

For each of the machines experiencing this behavior, will you please perform the following:

• Ensure Network Discovery is enabled.

• Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings

• For each Network Category (Public, Private, Domain) you wish to have the feature enabled, click the arrow to the right of the category to expand it, and select “Turn on network discovery” & check “Turn on automatic setup of network
          connected devices”

• Ensure that Network Discovery is allowed inbound in the Windows Firewall (in addition to any other firewall in use).

• [Windows Key + R] > Firewall.cpl

• Click “Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall” in the left pane.

• In the Allowed apps and features scroll box, find “Network Discovery”.

• Make sure it is checked for all of the Network categories that you have enabled.

• Ensure the necessary services are started.

• [Windows Key + R] > Services.msc

• Base Filtering Engine
          (BFE)

• Computer Browser
          (Browser)

• DHCP Client
          (DHCP)

• DNS Client
          (DNSCache)

• Network Connection
          (NetMan)

• Network Location Awareness (NLASvc)

• Remote Procedure Call (RPC) (RPCSS)

• Server
          (LANManServer)

• SSDP Discovery
          (SSDPSrv)

• TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
          (LMHosts)

• Workstation
          (LANManWorkstation)

• Ensure the network interface that is connected to the network you want devices discovered is in the appropriate network category.

• [Windows Key + R] > Cmd.exe

• Type “PowerShell.exe Get-NetConnectionProfile”
    In this output you will find Network Category, which needs to correspond to the category enabled through the firewall, as well as when Network Discovery is turned on.

• For machines with multiple interfaces, you will need to know the name of the interface which is connected to the network with the devices you wish to be discovered

• Ensure your Network bindings are correct.

• [Windows + R] > NCPA.cpl

• Right click the interface and select Properties

• Ensure the bindings are bound

• Client for Microsoft Networks

• File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks

• Link-Layer Topology Discovery Mapper I/O Driver

• Link-Layer Topology Discovery Responder

• Microsoft LLDP Protocol Driver

• Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)

• Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)

• If any of these are unbound, try rebinding, and if that still doesn’t work, from an elevated command prompt, run
          “NetCfg.exe –d”

Hope this helps

Dusty Harper [MSFT], Nov 9, 2018
  4. Aquinus Win User

How to turn off router network discovery feature?

You can't do that short of making a VLAN with segregated network access because network discovery is up to the machines on the network you're connected to, not the router.

Aquinus, Nov 9, 2018
Thema:

1. Why do I get the message "Network Discovery is turned off" when it is on? - Similar Threads - Why message Network

2. Why I can't turn on network discovery in the server?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why I can't turn on network discovery in the server?: HiI had to reinstall Windows Server 2019 to one server. Now I can't turn on network discovery in that server. Although I've logged in as an administrator and save the chances. When I'm looking again the situation, the network discovery is turned off....
  3. Why I can't turn on network discovery in the server?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why I can't turn on network discovery in the server?: HiI had to reinstall Windows Server 2019 to one server. Now I can't turn on network discovery in that server. Although I've logged in as an administrator and save the chances. When I'm looking again the situation, the network discovery is turned off....
  4. Network Discovery is turned off...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network Discovery is turned off...: One of my mini PC's a Beelink U55 kept getting this error msg stating that the network discovery is turned off, and I would lose connection to my NAS. However when checking network discovery in Advanced sharing settings, it was still turned on. I had researched several...
  5. network discovery is turned off.

network discovery is turned off.: I have the message "network discovery is turned off. Network computers and devices are not visable. Please turn on network discovery in Network and sharing Centre". How do I do this?...
  6. network discovery turned off message

in Windows 10 Customization
    network discovery turned off message: Why would I turn ON network discovery? I am sole user of this computer, connected to nothing except a mouse and a printer...no other computer. Surely the smart tv is not included in network discovery settings? The message suddenly popped up a moment ago so would be pleased...
  7. Message received: network discovery turned off

Message received: network discovery turned off: I am the sole user of a single pc, not connected to other pcs. Connected to printer and smart Tv. My pc turned itself on during the night, displayed this message: "Network discovery is turned off. Network computers and devices are not visible. Click to change in Network...
  8. Network discovery is turned off and not turning on in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Network discovery is turned off and not turning on in Windows 10: [ATTACH]When connected in the same network as other devices, you can share the files and settings of your Windows 10 computer with the other connected […] This article Network discovery is turned off and not turning on in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com....
  9. Network Discovery turning off

Network Discovery turning off: I am a Windows Admin and there is a user who is using a Dell 5530 Laptop running Win10 Pro 10.0.17763. She has access to domain network shared files. When she has the shared files open and the computer locks up, after a length of time and unlocks the computer, the files are...
  10. Turn On or Off Network Discovery in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Network Discovery in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Network Discovery in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Network Discovery in Windows 10 By default, the first time you connect to a new network (wired or wireless), you will be prompted "Do you want to allow your PC to be discoverable by other PCs...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. NetCfg.exe –d

2. network discovery is turned off error message